Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

For those with the 'what phone?' questions

For those with the 'what phone?' questions

Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:46 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those with the 'what phone?' questions

Originally Posted by rasen78
Just waiting for mine - did a system check and nothing as yet
You can try the 'clear the data' trick, but they seem to be turning up in Oz quite quickly - many people picked it up this morning.

Still can't decide between Nexus 4 or S3 though. Lack of expandable memory is swaying me to the S3
I've got 6 movies, 30 hours of music, various apps, games, etc. and still got 4GB free from my 16GB. How much do you really need, even for a 24 hour plane journey back to the UK? To me, the ability to take a 1TB disk with you and connect it via USB OTG is much more useful. Or the cloud.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:49 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
16GB is plenty for a phone imo, but I'm not someone who feel sthe need to carry their entire music library around with them the whole time.

A tablet for films/games would need more obviously.
I don't I do however, take a lot of photos, and those take up a lot of space. Also, when apps like Facebook and others, won't be moved to expandable memory, they take up an awful lot of space.

My very old and tatty looking HTC Desire has buggered me around with it's poor memory and I don't wish to get into that problem again.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:00 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
You can try the 'clear the data' trick, but they seem to be turning up in Oz quite quickly - many people picked it up this morning.

I've got 6 movies, 30 hours of music, various apps, games, etc. and still got 4GB free from my 16GB. How much do you really need, even for a 24 hour plane journey back to the UK? To me, the ability to take a 1TB disk with you and connect it via USB OTG is much more useful. Or the cloud.
Just tried it but no joy Wonder if it's because it was purchased in the UK?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Just received a Nexus 4 for my birthday. Husband managed to snag one somehow! Still not had a chance to play with it but will today.......
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:55 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
Just received a Nexus 4 for my birthday. Husband managed to snag one somehow! Still not had a chance to play with it but will today.......

Ooooh... Please post how you get on with it - I'm quite excited by the N4...

S
Old Nov 19th 2012, 2:25 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Ooooh... Please post how you get on with it - I'm quite excited by the N4...

S
Ditto. Is it a mini-sim or normal sim?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 2:28 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto. Is it a mini-sim or normal sim?
Its a microSim.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 2:32 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

Its a microSim.
S'what I thought
Old Dec 9th 2012, 2:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a Galaxy Note 2 for a few days now - wow, what a phone. It looks like an S3 on steroids, about the same size as the Note but with a bigger screen. Everything about it is better. Booting and scrolling are much quicker, the camera is awesome, the display is top-notch. Battery life is much better too. Downsides are the smooth back, which is too slippery and the position of the power button on the side (should be on top).

It's the best phone available right now.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 2:08 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've had a Galaxy Note 2 for a few days now - wow, what a phone. It looks like an S3 on steroids, about the same size as the Note but with a bigger screen. Everything about it is better. Booting and scrolling are much quicker, the camera is awesome, the display is top-notch. Battery life is much better too. Downsides are the smooth back, which is too slippery and the position of the power button on the side (should be on top).

It's the best phone available right now.

Yeah, I'll agree with that - Mine arrived at the tail end of last week, and it really is a fantastic bit of kit. I'm only really just beginning to scrape the surface in terms of customisation - but I am really enjoying the handwriting recognition with the S-Pen. It's orders of magnitude better than my old Palm Pilot!

S
Old Dec 9th 2012, 2:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'll agree with that - Mine arrived at the tail end of last week, and it really is a fantastic bit of kit. I'm only really just beginning to scrape the surface in terms of customisation - but I am really enjoying the handwriting recognition with the S-Pen. It's orders of magnitude better than my old Palm Pilot!

S
I forgot to mention the S-Pen - much better than the original. I'll be using it a lot at uni next year - the handwriting recognition software is very good.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 8:43 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

OK, I'm updating the advice.

The Nexus 5 is launched today and, shock/surprise, for once Australia is not getting ripped off !

The prices are :

16GB : $399
32GB : $449

available in white or black. However the US prices are $349 & $399, which if you convert to Oz dollars and add on the GST would be A$405 & A$464

The Brits, however, are really getting the short end of the sh*tty stick, £339 (US$543 / A$575) for 32GB - or A$126 more than we pay. OK, there is VAT @ 20% rather than GST @ 10%, but even so.

Oh, and if you want one, get in sharpish - the yanks are saying that their stock is running low already. Ours pulls on Singapore, but there is no indication it will last longer than theirs once people wake up. The only proviso is if you are in Canberra (weird LTE band that the N5 doesn't support).
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:16 pm
has lost The Game

OK, I'm updating the advice.

The Nexus 5 is launched today and, shock/surprise, for once Australia is not getting ripped off !

The prices are :

16GB : $399
32GB : $449

available in white or black. However the US prices are $349 & $399, which if you convert to Oz dollars and add on the GST would be A$405 & A$464

The Brits, however, are really getting the short end of the sh*tty stick, £339 (US$543 / A$575) for 32GB - or A$126 more than we pay. OK, there is VAT @ 20% rather than GST @ 10%, but even so.

Oh, and if you want one, get in sharpish - the yanks are saying that their stock is running low already. Ours pulls on Singapore, but there is no indication it will last longer than theirs once people wake up. The only proviso is if you are in Canberra (weird LTE band that the N5 doesn't support).

N5 looking very good - Not sure if it will tempt me away from my Note though. I find the S-pen invaluable.

My mother asked if she should consider getting a tablet for browsing/emails. I can't decide if she would benefit from a tablet or a Chrombook - I have the latter, and find it much more usable than a tablet.

S
Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:43 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

N5 looking very good - Not sure if it will tempt me away from my Note though. I find the S-pen invaluable.
My phone is a phone (well, a smartphone). I have a tablet to use as a tablet.

My mother asked if she should consider getting a tablet for browsing/emails. I can't decide if she would benefit from a tablet or a Chrombook - I have the latter, and find it much more usable than a tablet.

S
In my experience tablets are more 'mother proof' than laptops - well at least when Google don't start hiding functionality. They are also more pocketable. Chromebooks are techie, and highly network connection dependent.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:28 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Woo hoo !

Nexus 5 ordered this morning, dispatched this afternoon, with a delivery date of Monday.

It's basically now on back order, they must have sold millions today, worldwide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.