Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

For those with the 'what phone?' questions

Wikiposts

For those with the 'what phone?' questions

Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those with the 'what phone?' questions

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
What I particularly like about this release is that it is completely independent of carriers and their propensity to fill you shiny new phone up with pointless 'value added' bloatware that 99% of people can manage perfectly well without.
Yep thats what I like about the Nexus'. I currently have a Nexus S which is lovely and clean, I just want the N4 as a beefier version of that.

I've read that they may have some more next week so will hopefully bag one then. I do wish they shipped them to high st retailers too though.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Yep thats what I like about the Nexus'. I currently have a Nexus S which is lovely and clean, I just want the N4 as a beefier version of that.

I've read that they may have some more next week so will hopefully bag one then. I do wish they shipped them to high st retailers too though.

Yes, B&M stores would have alleviated all of this pain. It is of course possible that they just completely underestimated the demand for the thing.

The Nexus S eventually went to store's didn't it?

S
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Note 2 is, apparently, coming to the networks next week.

Upgrade is on the cards.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:46 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
While I'm generally a cynical as you; this time I'm not so sure.

When the Nexus 7 went on sale from the Play store there were no problems getting on the site and ordering. That sold millions in the first month.

This time there were quite a few problems in people getting through to pay, which makes me think the peak rate was much higher and the payment processors couldn't cope (Visa, etc.) Given that they knew the rough interest level, I would be shocked if they didn't have millions of phones standing by - yet everywhere they sold out fast.

Whilst I hope they have another few million waiting in the wings - I think this was really just massive customer demand. Time will tell.

PS you might find this Google employee entry interesting:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10651509...ts/fAA6PNbUxCK

Hmmm. It looks like Google have just announced a 3G version of the Nexus 7 - I think I may hold off and wait for this version - I can replace the ageing car based GPS with a fully featured, connected media centre for not much more money.

Nexus 7 3G Now Shipping

S
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Garry - I was going to ask the folks for a Nexus 10 for Christmas to replace my ageing and wholly incompatible Dell Streak 7 - what are your thoughts on it - particularly with Jelly Bean? I had a brief play with one in the US, and it's very slick, but as somebody who doesn't play games on tablets and phones (I know, I'm probably the only one) I still struggle to see the utility of one - hence my interest in the Note - it seems to cover both bases while only being one device.
Personally my thought is if you don't have a burning need for a good 10 inches, a 7 inch is probably going to be enough, as well as being more manageable.

ahem ...

About the only real need I can see for 10"+ is viewing big PDFs near real size

Oh, and the 32GB Nexus 10 is sold out.

The university student types seem to go for the Note - but I just can't see the win when any touchscreen can have a stylus. Its still too big for a back pocket, and if we are talking coat pockets, the Nexus 7 will do that fine.

PS Jelly Bean is nice, just waiting for 4.2 to hit my N7.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:04 pm
has lost The Game

Personally my thought is if you don't have a burning need for a good 10 inches, a 7 inch is probably going to be enough, as well as being more manageable.

ahem ...

About the only real need I can see for 10"+ is viewing big PDFs near real size

Oh, and the 32GB Nexus 10 is sold out.

The university student types seem to go for the Note - but I just can't see the win when any touchscreen can have a stylus. Its still too big for a back pocket, and if we are talking coat pockets, the Nexus 7 will do that fine.

PS Jelly Bean is nice, just waiting for 4.2 to hit my N7.

Sorry - that was a mistype - I meant a Nexus 7 - I'm not really sold on the 10" devices, unless they are running a proper OS with real apps on.

S
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:18 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I find I use the N7 much more than the phone - it's better for checking email, news, weather, playing music/movies, etc. I've just updated my phone to CM10 and intend to keep it for at least another year now since its small enough to fit in a back pocket when out and about. I don't a super phone, and by the time I really have to update the N4 standard will be the budget phone.

As such I'm not bothered about the N7 3G - I've got the phone tether for that if absolutely needed.Wifi most of the time.

Thus its -
Prime machines : Dual monitor desktop & Nexus 7
Secondary machines : Phone & Laptop
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - that was a mistype - I meant a Nexus 7 - I'm not really sold on the 10" devices, unless they are running a proper OS with real apps on.

S
To me, tablets are entertainment devices rather than 'real' work tools (although the MS Surface is maybe going to start to change that). For entertainment, 7" is fine - very portable, light and fairly cheap.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:31 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Amazulu
To me, tablets are entertainment devices rather than 'real' work tools (although the MS Surface is maybe going to start to change that). For entertainment, 7" is fine - very portable, light and fairly cheap.
While its never going to match a desktop - with the addition of a Bluetooth keyboard its perfectly possible to do a 'netbook' level of things.

Surface looks a bit of a dead duck. The RT isn't compatible with anything, is horribly overpriced, only has 16GB free, and the cloth keyboard lasts like a cardboard teapot. The Pro will almost have to be also overpriced, given the RT cost, which means they don't really give you anything over a tablet and bluetooth keyboard combo.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:39 pm
has lost The Game

While its never going to match a desktop - with the addition of a Bluetooth keyboard its perfectly possible to do a 'netbook' level of things.

Surface looks a bit of a dead duck. The RT isn't compatible with anything, is horribly overpriced, only has 16GB free, and the cloth keyboard lasts like a cardboard teapot. The Pro will almost have to be also overpriced, given the RT cost, which means they don't really give you anything over a tablet and bluetooth keyboard combo.

But I am assuming that you will be able to run grown up applications on the Pro? That's my main bug bear with tablets is that there is no decent - and by decent I mean fully featured - office suite on them. Guff like QuickOffice etc are simply no good.

I'm surprised that LibreOffice hasn't managed to port an Android version yet - though they are apparently working on one. And the recent Linux tablet ports are very interesting. I'm holding off of a larger tab until something with some proper functionality is available.

S
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Sure, but I'm sure the next generation will improve. I look at people in meetings at work, or at uni trying to take notes on their ipads and it seems more hassle than it's worth - as it stands now, it's easier to physically write than type on a touchscreen.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:05 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

But I am assuming that you will be able to run grown up applications on the Pro? That's my main bug bear with tablets is that there is no decent - and by decent I mean fully featured - office suite on them. Guff like QuickOffice etc are simply no good.

I'm surprised that LibreOffice hasn't managed to port an Android version yet - though they are apparently working on one. And the recent Linux tablet ports are very interesting. I'm holding off of a larger tab until something with some proper functionality is available.
S
In theory the Pro is a proper machine, although we have yet to see it to see if MS play any of their recent games on "it must be metro" or "you must install from our app store, and the developer must pay us 30%". It still won't have much point over a cheap laptop with a proper keyboard, and will cost 3x as much.

MS are apparently bringing MS Office to Android, and the likes of OfficeSuite Pro aren't too far off for quick usage. I wouldn't want to write a full report on anything without a proper full sized keyboard anyway.

PS Woo Hoo - my Nexus 7 just updated to 4.2 (after it was released yesterday) - the power of buying a Nexus and not having to wait for the usual SE Asia manufacturers to get around to things.....
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:21 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

In theory the Pro is a proper machine, although we have yet to see it to see if MS play any of their recent games on "it must be metro" or "you must install from our app store, and the developer must pay us 30%". It still won't have much point over a cheap laptop with a proper keyboard, and will cost 3x as much.

MS are apparently bringing MS Office to Android, and the likes of OfficeSuite Pro aren't too far off for quick usage. I wouldn't want to write a full report on anything without a proper full sized keyboard anyway.

PS Woo Hoo - my Nexus 7 just updated to 4.2 (after it was released yesterday) - the power of buying a Nexus and not having to wait for the usual SE Asia manufacturers to get around to things.....
Just waiting for mine - did a system check and nothing as yet

Still can't decide between Nexus 4 or S3 though. Lack of expandable memory is swaying me to the S3
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:32 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by rasen78
Just waiting for mine - did a system check and nothing as yet

Still can't decide between Nexus 4 or S3 though. Lack of expandable memory is swaying me to the S3

Yes, that's one of the advantages that the Note 2 has over the Nexus 4. Expandable memory is great for travelling - just take a load of memory cards and swap them over on the plane, or in the airport etc.

S
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

16GB is plenty for a phone imo, but I'm not someone who feel sthe need to carry their entire music library around with them the whole time.

A tablet for films/games would need more obviously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.