Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The things Australia does best

The things Australia does best

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The things Australia does best

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Of course they are common here, they are the kind of comment you'd expect from us expats. If you don't like them, don't read the threads that are likely to contain them.

I've spent several years trying different sausages in Australia, I now don't bother. I avoid sausages over there and only eat them when I'm back here at home where I can find good ones at a reasonable price, in every supermarket.
I only buy pork sausages. Never beef - this steers me in the right direction.
Most supermarkets stock speciality sausages that taste ok.

Can't compare with English ones - I don't remember what they taste like - but I do remember being served ones which my old dear said were full of stuffing....
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 12:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I only buy pork sausages. Never beef - this steers me in the right direction.
Most supermarkets stock speciality sausages that taste ok.

Can't compare with English ones - I don't remember what they taste like - but I do remember being served ones which my old dear said were full of stuffing....
If you want decent sausages, go to a butcher and not a supermarket - in the UK or Australia. Sausages are generally poor in both countries - Spain, Germany, Italy, SA lead the way
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 12:59 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of red tape here, in general, has been better than the UK. Just received my police check. Only did it Tuesday CRB in the UK took approx 3 weeks iirc

Driving licence etc on the spot, no problems with Medicare, a couple of claims were processed automatically.

Centrelink think the wording they use could be better. But once explained it seems ok
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
My experience of red tape here, in general, has been better than the UK. Just received my police check. Only did it Tuesday CRB in the UK took approx 3 weeks iirc

Driving licence etc on the spot, no problems with Medicare, a couple of claims were processed automatically.

Centrelink think the wording they use could be better. But once explained it seems ok
There is no question that there is redtape here - when it comes to planning, 'elfin safety etc but I have always found that day to day things, and not so day to day (road licensing, passports, tax) run very smoothly here.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:19 am
Banned

Location: Portsmouth, well I went there once, I think, and Australia
Wendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Of course they are common here, they are the kind of comment you'd expect from us expats. If you don't like them, don't read the threads that are likely to contain them.

I've spent several years trying different sausages in Australia, I now don't bother. I avoid sausages over there and only eat them when I'm back here at home where I can find good ones at a reasonable price, in every supermarket.
Obviously not looking at suitable purveyors
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendee
So you've tried all sausages in Australia? If you bother to look you'll find sausages better than any in blighty
Does that mean you've tried ALL the sausages in Blighty?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:37 am
Banned

Wendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really niceWendee is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
Does that mean you've tried ALL the sausages in Blighty?
If you read my post again you may notice the English pig breed are no longer so the answer is in the affirmative. Nice try, but you'll need to up your game
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:45 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Sickies here are easier than anywhere I've ever worked before. Even when the boss knows someone is faking (not me I should add, I've actually been sick!) everyone acts all concerned and like we really believe the person was ill. It's almost funny until of course one spanner takes the piss and ruins it for everyone. At my brothers work, people announce in advance when they're going to be off sick...and it's fine apparently!
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendee
If you read my post again you may notice the English pig breed are no longer so the answer is in the affirmative. Nice try, but you'll need to up your game
But you'd still need to try ALL the sausages to know that they are better than the ones from the no longer available pig breeds surely?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:26 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i dont remember the last time i had a sickie. i usually only do it when theres a sudden weather change or when i have very bad diarrhea.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by commonwealth
i dont remember the last time i had a sickie. i usually only do it when theres a sudden weather change or when i have very bad diarrhea.
...and your view on Australian sausages?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:41 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

it's *hard* to tell. aussie sausages like euro ones are usually *yummy* and *juicy*.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 3:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld
But you'd still need to try ALL the sausages to know that they are better than the ones from the no longer available pig breeds surely?
If they don't exist in bligty how is one to try sausages made from them? You are a poltergeist yes?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

The pork and fennel sausage rolls from the bourke st bakery are the best I've ever had and trust me I've eaten a shitload of sausage rolls in my time.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
The pork and fennel sausage rolls from the bourke st bakery are the best I've ever had and trust me I've eaten a shitload of sausage rolls in my time.
I used to have quite a few sausage sandwiches in my time....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.