British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Supermarket Pet Hates... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/supermarket-pet-hates-702209/)

paulry Jan 25th 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9128845)
The fact that Orstraylia doesn't really do 'food', either that or there is some sort of en masse taste bud failure going on.... Crikey.... I'd eat a boomerang for five minutes in the M&S food hall.

A so very very true fact :(

Pollyana Jan 26th 2011 1:23 am

The fact that Orstraylia doesn't really do 'food', either that or there is some sort of en masse taste bud failure going on.... Crikey.... I'd eat a boomerang for five minutes in the M&S food hall.

:thumbsup::cool:

HelenTD Jan 26th 2011 1:25 am

Sad, but true:(.

DeadVim Jan 26th 2011 1:32 am

Are we talking eating out or cooking with fresh ingredients?

If the former I'd agree (and anyone living on it probably deserves it) with a few exceptions, but I find the quality of the rest perfectly acceptable.

unfair dinkum Jan 26th 2011 1:34 am

The fact that you're expected to pay bonkers prices for fruit, cos they've been polished and look pretty, in the knowledge that across the road there's a soviet style toilet block that sells seconds less than a quarter of the price.
The reasons you don't go to said toilet block?
1 it's depressing and shitty,
2 you've lost the will to live,
3. They only accept cash,
4 living in Australia has rendered you totally lethargic and disinterested in life and incapable of crossing the road on foot

Turban Explorer Jan 26th 2011 2:17 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9128986)
Are we talking eating out or cooking with fresh ingredients?

If the former I'd agree (and anyone living on it probably deserves it) with a few exceptions, but I find the quality of the rest perfectly acceptable.

I am thinking of items like the dips, the absence of tasty ready meals (other than a meat lasagne that serves 10), cheese so bland it's cut into a variety of shapes to liven it up, a vegetarian section the size of a pinprick and some very odd tasting condiments eg, what is happening with the mayonnaise? The fresh vegetables are acceptable I imagine, other than the crown jewels style pricing and availability which can vary wildly. I wish I could get my head around eating bright orange squidge but i can't seem to overcome my gag reflex... Something which has also prevented me partaking in the vin blanc.

Turban Explorer Jan 26th 2011 2:23 am

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum (Post 9128989)
The fact that you're expected to pay bonkers prices for fruit, cos they've been polished and look pretty, in the knowledge that across the road there's a soviet style toilet block that sells seconds less than a quarter of the price.
The reasons you don't go to said toilet block?
1 it's depressing and shitty,
2 you've lost the will to live,
3. They only accept cash,
4 living in Australia has rendered you totally lethargic and disinterested in life and incapable of crossing the road on foot

I did finally concede that pikeying around was the way forward on the veg front only I was disappointed to discover the prices are basically the same but with a layer of mud. I've found you can shop on the last day of Rusty's market and get fruit that has been trodden on and eaten by flies relatively cheaply - blend it into a pulp and inject a few needed miligrams of vitamins into one's struggling system...

DeadVim Jan 26th 2011 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9129032)
I am thinking of items like the dips, the absence of tasty ready meals (other than a meat lasagne that serves 10), cheese so bland it's cut into a variety of shapes to liven it up, a vegetarian section the size of a pinprick and some very odd tasting condiments eg, what is happening with the mayonnaise? The fresh vegetables are acceptable I imagine, other than the crown jewels style pricing and availability which can vary wildly. I wish I could get my head around eating bright orange squidge but i can't seem to overcome my gag reflex... Something which has also prevented me partaking in the vin blanc.

Vegetarian? You are in the wrong place :D

Dips? I dunno, never struck me as a problem ... The cheese is very variable, we tend to stick with Nimbin for 'cheddar like' taste. Mayo I wouldn't know, I cover everything in Chilli Sauce which may account for why I am content :D

Sherlock Holmes Jan 26th 2011 3:00 am

The express lane: 12 (or 10 whatever) items or Less.

IT"S FEWER!!!

Dreamy Jan 26th 2011 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Bibbs (Post 9127664)
Other customers.

Shops in general would be fine if they would get rid of all the other customers.

But then I generally don't like "the public" anyhow. :rofl:

You are my hero.

Just don't ever shop at the same time as me :D

Dreamy Jan 26th 2011 5:07 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9128629)
The tuna in those poxy mini cans. In the UK we used to make tuna bake with 4 "normal-sized" tins which was bad enough but with those mini tins I reckon we'd have to open ten or more of them :ohmy:

Why don't you just buy one of the giant tins of tuna?

I love 'em, just one of them does my tuna rice perfectly :D

Alfresco Jan 26th 2011 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 9129276)
Why don't you just buy one of the giant tins of tuna?

I love 'em, just one of them does my tuna rice perfectly :D

Yep you get giant ones. I like the little ones for a quick snack.

spottydog Jan 26th 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 9128644)
5. Coles flybuys are the most insulting loyalty program ever and why someone there hasn't worked out that people find free Qantas flights with Everyday rewards a better deal is beyond me.

You've got to be kidding, one point for every $1 spent after the first $30, I reckon if I'm lucky that I'll get enough points from Woolies for one way to Brissie before I die

Petals Jan 26th 2011 6:04 am

I have not read all the comments but for me

People who hog the meat fridge with trolly up and down discussing it as you rush in to just pick up some snags.

People who chat with friends in the middle of the isle or Derby and Joan discussing everything whilst people are trying to get past.

No offence to Mums but those little trolleys Bunnings seem to have and some other stores are so dangerous. Likely to be run over by people with shopping trolley with mind of its own, being pushed by someone talking on phone or texting. :D

Loud phone conversations that interrupt your thoughts about food and you miss the punch line

irishbloo Jan 26th 2011 6:39 am

Ten tear old kids sitting in the trollies amongst all the shopping eating lollies being pushed round by their Mums.
Bread being at the front so it gets squashed by every thing else.
The look of horror on the face of the checkout person when I say no bags please.They look at you as if you have insulted their mother.
Actually I hate food shopping in any country.Take me clothes or shoe shopping instead.Let the kids starve.:thumbsup: