British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Supermarket Pet Hates... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/supermarket-pet-hates-702209/)

Alfresco Jan 25th 2011 8:10 am

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Why do people who block an aisle with their trolley when browsing the shelves look completely surprised and completely taken aback when someone behind them says "Excuse me please"?

Duh it's a supermarket!!!

(Not just in Oz by the way. It seems to be common everywhere!)

What are you faves?

Rant away.

Turban Explorer Jan 25th 2011 8:47 am

Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9126959)
Why do people who block an aisle with their trolley when browsing the shelves look completely surprised and completely taken aback when someone behind them says "Excuse me please"?

What are you faves?

Rant away.

The irritation of having made a shopping list ready for a complex recipe to find half the ingredients are out of stock.

Also having to listen to kids with ridiculous names such as Zen, Coby, Jaslynne and Cregg being told by off their chavvy parents

elice_in_oz Jan 25th 2011 9:43 am

Having my favourite products discontinued with no warning!:sneaky: And I'm not even talking about special stuff, I'm talking about kitchen towels or washing powder...:o

unfair dinkum Jan 25th 2011 10:04 am

having to go to a seperate shop to get booze
the fact that you have to buy about 20L of coke to make it worthwhile
approximately 300 styles of tuna, all overpriced
decaf tea is twice the price of normal tea and only in the form of tampons, why?
bread costs anything from $2 to 5 dollars a loaf
I have spent around $30,000 dollars at coles and my fly buys points entitle me to a free chupachup
last but not least, the complete paucity of interesting and quality food

hevs Jan 25th 2011 10:05 am

Sodding sweets at the checkouts :sneaky:

newjersey Jan 25th 2011 11:43 am

Going to the store hungry and buying four times the amount you actually need
Going there stuffed and returning with beer and a bag of crisps.

HelenTD Jan 25th 2011 11:53 am

Ten types of sultanas, but no raisins
Four brands of "icing mix" with added wheat, but no pure icing sugar
Cornflour made out of wheat (does the UK have this?)
Labels on seafood that say "mix of imported and local product", tempting me to ask the deli assistant to pick out the Australian product for me:sneaky:

Kelli28 Jan 25th 2011 12:00 pm

What are you faves?

Rant away.

Chatty check out chick's :sneaky:

derren7 Jan 25th 2011 12:27 pm

What are you faves?

Rant away.

I thought I was alone. Absolutely everyone does this except me!

cresta57 Jan 25th 2011 12:47 pm

Crappy bloody layouts. I mean you shop to buy food so the cereal should be next to the milk, bread next to the jam, steak next to the eggs etc.

newjersey Jan 25th 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 9127399)
Crappy bloody layouts. I mean you shop to buy food so the cereal should be next to the milk, bread next to the jam, steak next to the eggs etc.

they aim to keep you in there as long as bloody possible, so that serves its purpose.

Kelli28 Jan 25th 2011 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by newjersey (Post 9127478)
they aim to keep you in there as long as bloody possible, so that serves its purpose.

Yup bread near the front milk at the opposite end, forcing you to walk all the way through the store.

Bibbs Jan 25th 2011 2:58 pm

Other customers.

Shops in general would be fine if they would get rid of all the other customers.

But then I generally don't like "the public" anyhow. :rofl:

ColinandLyn Jan 25th 2011 3:07 pm

choosing the checkout que that was moving ........STOPS !!!!

Alfresco Jan 25th 2011 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by derren7 (Post 9127366)
I thought I was alone. Absolutely everyone does this except me!

Two of us then. ;)

itigo Jan 25th 2011 8:52 pm

What are you faves?

Rant away.

The worrying thing is that most of them drove to the shop!!

paulry Jan 25th 2011 9:03 pm

What are you faves?

Rant away.

Noticed that too.

And over here the aisles are often much much narrower - even in the larger stores, making "excuse me please" encounters more frequent.

Pollyana Jan 25th 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by itigo (Post 9128534)
The worrying thing is that most of them drove to the shop!!

Even when they live 5 minutes walk away!
Why do so many Aussies spend two hours pounding the streets for "ëxercise" then when they get home they drive the five minutes to the shops to buy dinner! FFS Buy the dinner while you're out!!!!

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 9:17 pm

You have a few items in your basket so you go to the express queue, you know the one near to the service desk where they sell fags. So nowadays the check out person can't sell them to you (no idea why?) so you pay for your few groceries, walk 10 steps to the service desk, then the same check out person turns from their till and comes to said desk and can then serve you, but only from one special fag till. :sneaky:

WTH is that all about???? This one REALLY pees me off especially when I have no cash!!

p.s. No quit smoking tips needed from the non-smokers thank you very much. :rolleyes:

paulry Jan 25th 2011 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum (Post 9127148)
having to go to a seperate shop to get booze
the fact that you have to buy about 20L of coke to make it worthwhile
approximately 300 styles of tuna, all overpriced
decaf tea is twice the price of normal tea and only in the form of tampons, why?
bread costs anything from $2 to 5 dollars a loaf
I have spent around $30,000 dollars at coles and my fly buys points entitle me to a free chupachup
last but not least, the complete paucity of interesting and quality food

Why pay an arm and a leg for "The Real Thing"? We go for the "el cheapo" and sugar-free brands of coke etc. It seems to taste better over here and is a fraction of the cost.

The tuna in those poxy mini cans. In the UK we used to make tuna bake with 4 "normal-sized" tins which was bad enough but with those mini tins I reckon we'd have to open ten or more of them :ohmy:

Try baking your own bread. You won't regret it. :thumbup:

Originally Posted by newjersey (Post 9127276)
Going to the store hungry and buying four times the amount you actually need
Going there stuffed and returning with beer and a bag of crisps.

A list combined with determination helps OH and I to not overspend. Otherwise we would go in for a few items and come out with a trolley-full. :eek:

Originally Posted by ColinandLyn (Post 9127678)
choosing the checkout que that was moving ........STOPS !!!!

Even worse is when they have a dozen checkouts, a store full of customers and only one or two checkouts manned/womaned. And the chance of them opening another till because there's more customers in front of you than there are people in the Aus perm migration queue is close to nill :blink:

And my own gripe: Having to go to several supermarkets, etc every week to get the pick of the deals.

paulry Jan 25th 2011 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9128589)
You have a few items in your basket so you go to the express queue, you know the one near to the service desk where they sell fags. So nowadays the check out person can't sell them to you (no idea why?) so you pay for your few groceries, walk 10 steps to the service desk, then the same check out person turns from their till and comes to said desk and can then serve you, but only from one special fag till. :sneaky:

WTH is that all about???? This one REALLY pees me off especially when I have no cash!!

p.s. No quit smoking tips needed from the non-smokers thank you very much. :rolleyes:

I used to get frustrated waiting to be served at the ciggy queue for the dozens of Lotto customers to buy their tickets.

Centurion Jan 25th 2011 9:42 pm

1. People who go to the express check out and, despite the queue behind them, make the check out chick go and get them 100 Holiday or whatever chav smokes they want. Because nobody else had anything better to do than stand there and that's why they went to the express lane :sneaky:

2. People who wear no shoes in supermarkets despite the obvious risk to loosing a toe. Really - are you that stupid ?

3. The fact is usually cheaper to buy two smaller quantities of something than the larger combined single item.

4. Anything which proudly tells me this item is reduced by less than 5c. That's just rubbing salt into the wound of the stupidly gouging prices which we are fleeced with everyday.

5. Coles flybuys are the most insulting loyalty program ever and why someone there hasn't worked out that people find free Qantas flights with Everyday rewards a better deal is beyond me.

6. People who wear PJ's when shopping into the evening at the IGA. You are, frankly, a dag who deserves to live in your fibro shack with two staffies.

7. During the busy times, make sure that you only have 2 checkouts open and have at least 3 staff behind the "management" counter bit looking busy. Your not and we know it.

8. Not selling booze. Instead open up BWS bottle shops next to your supermarket and pay more overheads. I realise this is just the Australian government protecting us from ourselves and the dangers of alcohol. Lest we become a nation of binge drinkers who consume more than most other western countries...oh wait...:o

carolinephillips Jan 25th 2011 9:45 pm

That bloody tune "we are the fresh food people" being played incessantly. Get my shotgun please....:frown:

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 9128644)
1. People who go to the express check out and, despite the queue behind them, make the check out chick go and get them 100 Holiday or whatever chav smokes they want. Because nobody else had anything better to do than stand there and that's why they went to the express lane :sneaky:

Fag counter is maybe 8 steps away in my local shop, and oh yes it is only chavs who smoke cigarettes I forgot, somebody should have told Princess Margaret this. :sneaky:

For the record it is 25 Benson and Hedges Smooth. I am a superior type of chav. :lol:

carolinephillips Jan 25th 2011 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9128657)
Fag counter is maybe 8 steps away in my local shop, and oh yes it is only chavs who smoke cigarettes I forgot, somebody should have told Princess Margaret this. :sneaky:

For the record it is 25 Benson and Hedges Smooth. I am a superior type of chav. :lol:

Princess Margaret WAS a bit of a chav- drinking and smoking and rumour has it, doing drugs. Failed marriage and a series of toyboys.....'nuff said.

paulry Jan 25th 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9128657)

And superior prices too :ohmy: (B&H were my brand)

...In the end I think it was the superior prices that pushed me over the edge and forced me to stop.

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 9128662)
Princess Margaret WAS a bit of a chav- drinking and smoking and rumour has it, doing drugs. Failed marriage and a series of toyboys.....'nuff said.

Dearie me, drinking and smoking, a bit of weed, a "failed" marriage and a few boyfriends, how terribly common. Anybody would think she was a human being............

bcworld Jan 25th 2011 10:22 pm

6. People who wear PJ's when shopping into the evening at the IGA. You are, frankly, a dag who deserves to live in your fibro shack with two staffies.

:rofl: :thumbsup:

Pollyana Jan 25th 2011 10:31 pm

2. People who wear no shoes in supermarkets despite the obvious risk to loosing a toe. Really - are you that stupid ?

3. The fact is usually cheaper to buy two smaller quantities of something than the larger combined single item.

4. Anything which proudly tells me this item is reduced by less than 5c. That's just rubbing salt into the wound of the stupidly gouging prices which we are fleeced with everyday.

5. Coles flybuys are the most insulting loyalty program ever and why someone there hasn't worked out that people find free Qantas flights with Everyday rewards a better deal is beyond me.

7. During the busy times, make sure that you only have 2 checkouts open and have at least 3 staff behind the "management" counter bit looking busy. Your not and we know it.

8. Not selling booze. Instead open up BWS bottle shops next to your supermarket and pay more overheads. I realise this is just the Australian government protecting us from ourselves and the dangers of alcohol. Lest we become a nation of binge drinkers who consume more than most other western countries...oh wait...:o

OMG I have a twin! I couldn't have ranted better if I'd done it myself :thumbsup::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Turban Explorer Jan 25th 2011 11:37 pm

The fact that Orstraylia doesn't really do 'food', either that or there is some sort of en masse taste bud failure going on.... Crikey.... I'd eat a boomerang for five minutes in the M&S food hall.

paulry Jan 25th 2011 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9128845)
The fact that Orstraylia doesn't really do 'food', either that or there is some sort of en masse taste bud failure going on.... Crikey.... I'd eat a boomerang for five minutes in the M&S food hall.

A so very very true fact :(

Pollyana Jan 26th 2011 1:23 am

:thumbsup::cool:

HelenTD Jan 26th 2011 1:25 am

Sad, but true:(.

DeadVim Jan 26th 2011 1:32 am

Are we talking eating out or cooking with fresh ingredients?

If the former I'd agree (and anyone living on it probably deserves it) with a few exceptions, but I find the quality of the rest perfectly acceptable.

unfair dinkum Jan 26th 2011 1:34 am

The fact that you're expected to pay bonkers prices for fruit, cos they've been polished and look pretty, in the knowledge that across the road there's a soviet style toilet block that sells seconds less than a quarter of the price.
The reasons you don't go to said toilet block?
1 it's depressing and shitty,
2 you've lost the will to live,
3. They only accept cash,
4 living in Australia has rendered you totally lethargic and disinterested in life and incapable of crossing the road on foot

Turban Explorer Jan 26th 2011 2:17 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9128986)
Are we talking eating out or cooking with fresh ingredients?

If the former I'd agree (and anyone living on it probably deserves it) with a few exceptions, but I find the quality of the rest perfectly acceptable.

I am thinking of items like the dips, the absence of tasty ready meals (other than a meat lasagne that serves 10), cheese so bland it's cut into a variety of shapes to liven it up, a vegetarian section the size of a pinprick and some very odd tasting condiments eg, what is happening with the mayonnaise? The fresh vegetables are acceptable I imagine, other than the crown jewels style pricing and availability which can vary wildly. I wish I could get my head around eating bright orange squidge but i can't seem to overcome my gag reflex... Something which has also prevented me partaking in the vin blanc.

Turban Explorer Jan 26th 2011 2:23 am

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum (Post 9128989)
The fact that you're expected to pay bonkers prices for fruit, cos they've been polished and look pretty, in the knowledge that across the road there's a soviet style toilet block that sells seconds less than a quarter of the price.
The reasons you don't go to said toilet block?
1 it's depressing and shitty,
2 you've lost the will to live,
3. They only accept cash,
4 living in Australia has rendered you totally lethargic and disinterested in life and incapable of crossing the road on foot

I did finally concede that pikeying around was the way forward on the veg front only I was disappointed to discover the prices are basically the same but with a layer of mud. I've found you can shop on the last day of Rusty's market and get fruit that has been trodden on and eaten by flies relatively cheaply - blend it into a pulp and inject a few needed miligrams of vitamins into one's struggling system...

DeadVim Jan 26th 2011 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9129032)
I am thinking of items like the dips, the absence of tasty ready meals (other than a meat lasagne that serves 10), cheese so bland it's cut into a variety of shapes to liven it up, a vegetarian section the size of a pinprick and some very odd tasting condiments eg, what is happening with the mayonnaise? The fresh vegetables are acceptable I imagine, other than the crown jewels style pricing and availability which can vary wildly. I wish I could get my head around eating bright orange squidge but i can't seem to overcome my gag reflex... Something which has also prevented me partaking in the vin blanc.

Vegetarian? You are in the wrong place :D

Dips? I dunno, never struck me as a problem ... The cheese is very variable, we tend to stick with Nimbin for 'cheddar like' taste. Mayo I wouldn't know, I cover everything in Chilli Sauce which may account for why I am content :D

Sherlock Holmes Jan 26th 2011 3:00 am

The express lane: 12 (or 10 whatever) items or Less.

IT"S FEWER!!!

Dreamy Jan 26th 2011 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Bibbs (Post 9127664)
Other customers.

Shops in general would be fine if they would get rid of all the other customers.

But then I generally don't like "the public" anyhow. :rofl:

You are my hero.

Just don't ever shop at the same time as me :D