British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Supermarket Pet Hates... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/supermarket-pet-hates-702209/)

elice_in_oz Jan 26th 2011 6:44 am

Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by spottydog (Post 9129342)
You've got to be kidding, one point for every $1 spent after the first $30, I reckon if I'm lucky that I'll get enough points from Woolies for one way to Brissie before I die

It's actually 1 point for every dollar spent with the normal rewards card (no minimum spend) and 1 EXTRA point for every dollar spent over $30 if using the all-in-one rewards and credit card to pay. So it works out at 370 points for a $200 shopping bill (200 points + 170 points for the amount over $30). So you might actually get a RETURN ticket to Brissie :p

paulry Jan 26th 2011 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 9129276)
Why don't you just buy one of the giant tins of tuna?

I love 'em, just one of them does my tuna rice perfectly :D

I haven't seen the giant tins. My OH has so far only bought several of the smaller ones which are good for a sandwich of quick salad but look troublesome for a larger meal. Will look out for them :)

We enjoy tuna rice too. :thumbup:

Pollyana Jan 26th 2011 8:01 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9129489)
I haven't seen the giant tins. My OH has so far only bought several of the smaller ones which are good for a sandwich of quick salad but look troublesome for a larger meal. Will look out for them :)

We enjoy tuna rice too. :thumbup:

The mini cans are wonderful, perfect to take to work. Tin of tuna flavoured with lime or tomato or whatever, and a fork, that's dinner sorted, perfect :thumbup:

Pomster Jan 26th 2011 9:19 am

When you queue up at the checkout, and as you get to the front, the checkout chick goes to sell cigarettes...and then serves the next cigarette customer and the next while you are standing there like a lemon.

This happens loads of times, but once the girl did not even acknowledge us as she walked away...so we walked away and left our shopping piled on the conveyor belt (she had been gone 8 minutes at this point) which made her move, but we had had enough by then and just left.

Annoying bloody process.

Beedubya Jan 26th 2011 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 9129629)
When you queue up at the checkout, and as you get to the front, the checkout chick goes to sell cigarettes...and then serves the next cigarette customer and the next while you are standing there like a lemon.

This happens loads of times, but once the girl did not even acknowledge us as she walked away...so we walked away and left our shopping piled on the conveyor belt (she had been gone 8 minutes at this point) which made her move, but we had had enough by then and just left.

Annoying bloody process.

Not where I live......you need to move to the Shire..........doesn't happen here...............

Turban Explorer Jan 26th 2011 9:36 am

a) That the shop assistant only seems to be keen to put a couple of items in each bag despite there being loads of extra room
b) That spring onions have stalks left on about 2 metres long so they rip off and wilt on the car floor
c) That free range eggs are often sold by the same producers of the bastard caged battery eggs. Why do they think that someone would buy eggs produced by their happy wandering around chickens when in a nearby shed they've got 1000s rammed in suffering disgusting conditions?

ukecadet Jan 26th 2011 9:47 am

Hate it when the person in front is just about to pay then proclaim"oh I've just got to get some oregano" they bugger off back into the store and your left standing there for 10 minutes while the checkout girl avoids any eye contact with you.
You should be able to rugby tackle them and claim all their groceries as forfeit.

paulry Jan 26th 2011 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9129657)
a) That the shop assistant only seems to be keen to put a couple of items in each bag despite there being loads of extra room
b) That spring onions have stalks left on about 2 metres long so they rip off and wilt on the car floor
c) That free range eggs are often sold by the same producers of the bastard caged battery eggs. Why do they think that someone would buy eggs produced by their happy wandering around chickens when in a nearby shed they've got 1000s rammed in suffering disgusting conditions?

TBH, I've never noticed that but if true then it's a good point. I'll be more vigilant next time.

Happy free range products versus miserable caged is a big contentious issue in my home. I go for free range whereas OH just sees them as food and goes for whatever is cheaper. If I have my way, only happy chicks are allowed into my house. But OH is having none of it :rolleyes:

BadgeIsBack Jan 26th 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9128573)
Even when they live 5 minutes walk away!
Why do so many Aussies spend two hours pounding the streets for "ëxercise" then when they get home they drive the five minutes to the shops to buy dinner! FFS Buy the dinner while you're out!!!!

It's actually a very good point, I reckon.

However, unless they carry a bag or rucksack many won't be able to exercise and shop - which is not unreasonable. The dinner may spoil. Easier said than done. I used to get weird looks for running with a rucksack of tins in the UK.:p

And if you do even 30mins exercise, I reckon you are entitled to then make choices about how you then manage time for other things you may have lost choosing to exercise.

paulry Jan 26th 2011 10:07 am

Originally Posted by irishbloo (Post 9129396)
Ten tear old kids sitting in the trollies amongst all the shopping eating lollies being pushed round by their Mums.
Bread being at the front so it gets squashed by every thing else.
The look of horror on the face of the checkout person when I say no bags please.They look at you as if you have insulted their mother.
Actually I hate food shopping in any country.Take me clothes or shoe shopping instead.Let the kids starve.:thumbsup:

And little out-of-control kids charging around. It's hard enough stuggling to avoid other trolley drivers without midget pedestrians jumping into your path :ohmy:

Turban Explorer Jan 26th 2011 10:16 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 9129715)
TBH, I've never noticed that but if true then it's a good point. I'll be more vigilant next time.

Happy free range products versus miserable caged is a big contentious issue in my home. I go for free range whereas OH just sees them as food and goes for whatever is cheaper. If I have my way, only happy chicks are allowed into my house. But OH is having none of it :rolleyes:

I hope you win that battle!

Pollyana Jan 26th 2011 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 9129731)
It's actually a very good point, I reckon.

However, unless they carry a bag or rucksack many won't be able to exercise and shop - which is not unreasonable. The dinner may spoil. Easier said than done. I used to get weird looks for running with a rucksack of tins in the UK.:p

And if you do even 30mins exercise, I reckon you are entitled to then make choices about how you then manage time for other things you may have lost choosing to exercise.

How do you think those of us who don't drive do the shopping? By walking to the shops with a rucksack funnily enough:p.........thereby combining exercise and shopping, gets me 45 minutes exercise each time, and has been Approved by my Personal Trainer as a good means of trying to shift the weight off my fat backside :lol::sneaky:

Bernieboy Jan 26th 2011 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9130286)
How do you think those of us who don't drive do the shopping? By walking to the shops with a rucksack funnily enough:p.........thereby combining exercise and shopping, gets me 45 minutes exercise each time, and has been Approved by my Personal Trainer as a good means of trying to shift the weight off my fat backside :lol::sneaky:

and yer PT get's tuna in the post;)

Pollyana Jan 26th 2011 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9130331)
and yer PT get's tuna in the post;)

:thumbup: That was another few calories off my arse, walking to the Post office :D

Bernieboy Jan 26th 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9130338)
:thumbup: That was another few calories off my arse, walking to the Post office :D

:thumbup: