Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Jun 21st 2015, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by GarryP
I get by with 60GB pm - including downloads of TV, but not movies. Even if I watched and did more, 100GB should cover it.

SmartDNS and going direct to the source?

Have to say that I use the NowTV box and SmartDNS if I want to surf through the UK streams. You seem to only get a selection of programmes with the Foxtel offering - eg no Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell on BBC First.

See, there's your problem, turn it off when the super rugby starts.

Joking aside, sports is about the only good reason for foxtel, and only for sports nuts.

If you get a cheapy Mc Cheapo Optus phone before the end of the month (there are some real cheap heap'o'cr*ps out there) then you can get 3 months of Netflix for free (to test it out). SmartDNS and you can 'travel' to test out US/UK catalogues as well.

Personally I go with the ADSL bandwidth, NowTV for the UK TV, SmartDNS and selective other downloads via VPN, and Blu Ray disk postal rental for movies. Total ~$70 pm
Hhhmm. Already have an Optus phone, renewed on a business plan a few months back. I wonder if they will honour the Netflix.

So on this basis sounds like option C is good value for money.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm curious to see how much gigage do you guys get through a month especially with online TV?

I don't download movies or do gaming, but I do download and upload a lot of software for work. I've never really gone over 50GB per month, but some months, depending on how much work I do from home, I can be as low as 10GB. I've been looking at redoing my whole internet and cable TV thing.

Currently I'm on a 20GB TPG $40 per month plan and I have Foxtel for sports which comes equipped with the Entertainment pack junk for $50. So total spend for internet and TV right now is $90.

I need the Entertainment Pack junk for the wife's BBC channels so there's no escaping BBC First and UKTV.

As for Sports, well that can be a turn on turn off scenario depending what's on. I'm about to switch it off again when the Super Rugby finishes.

Will hook up Netflix too.

Options I can see.

a) Foxtel with apparently fast internet $115 per month

b) Optus $90 Fetch Tv + unlimited internet + 6 months free Netflix. $90 for first 6 months. $102 after 6 months. When Sport is on $152

c) Foxtel $50 and TPG 100GB $50 and Netflix $12 - Sports on $112, Sports off $62

So have I missed anything out there in the market place or any curve balls that should be taken into consideration.

What do you guys do?

We hit 300 gbs occasionaly, I have 2 adult and 1 teenager and the wife and I all using our 600 Gb per month IInet naked plan. 112 bucks per month includes netflix and fetch tv and all phone calls.... except oseas. Used 250 gbs this month and the account resets in 7 days.

I'd much rather have excess than be restricted at any time.

If I manage to get Netflix US working on this amazon fire TV properly, then that usage will go up heaps, as my wife is a real marathon tv series watcher once she has her mind set on a show. We watched that Frankie and Grace in two sittings ...both series.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 21st 2015 at 4:33 am.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We hit 300 gbs occasionaly, I have 2 adult and 1 teenager and the wife and I all using our 600 Gb per month IInet naked plan. 112 bucks per month includes netflix and fetch tv and all phone calls.... except oseas. Used 250 gbs this month and the account resets in 7 days.

I'd much rather have excess than be restricted at any time.

If I manage to get Netflix US working on this amazon fire TV properly, then that usage will go up heaps, as my wife is a real marathon tv series watcher once she has her mind set on a show. We watched that Frankie and Grace in two sittings ...both series.
You should look at the the current Optus $90 unlimited internet, Fetch Tv, and free Netflix for 6 months. Seems there might be some savings there for you.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 5:09 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Hhhmm. Already have an Optus phone, renewed on a business plan a few months back. I wonder if they will honour the Netflix.
The T&Cs are half way down this page : https://www.optus.com.au/shop/promot...p1:ip24un:none

They are talking about a new plan etc., for 6 months Netflix, but you could try it on if you like with a sales rep. If not, then this might work : https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/199528

The wrinkle that people have been using is you can get 3 months on a prepaid plan. So they get the cheapest, nastiest phone (eg $15 or below) and use it to get the 3 months of Netflix - and put the phone in a drawer. Coles and Woolies are good sources of such phones.

You have to activate before 5th July though.

So on this basis sounds like option C is good value for money.
My only question is can you suspend the foxtel for a while and only run off a smartDNS connection to iPlayer etc. - or indeed find a way to ditch it entirely (maybe FetchTV or some other sports streamer). In part it's determined by what wifey watches, and what sport you watch.

Last edited by GarryP; Jun 21st 2015 at 5:13 am.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You should look at the the current Optus $90 unlimited internet, Fetch Tv, and free Netflix for 6 months. Seems there might be some savings there for you.
It can take 7 to 10 days of downtime to switch from one naked service to another..... Plus I think there is a fairly hefty charge as a naked service is not counted as a phone line. Plus I implicity trust Iinet above all other providers.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It can take 7 to 10 days of downtime to switch from one naked service to another..... Plus I think there is a fairly hefty charge as a naked service is not counted as a phone line. Plus I implicity trust Iinet above all other providers.
Ah right ..... might be worth a phone call. Optus are trying hard to flog this deal and if you need to up your limit, they might be throwing the phone line in.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The T&Cs are half way down this page : https://www.optus.com.au/shop/promot...p1:ip24un:none

They are talking about a new plan etc., for 6 months Netflix, but you could try it on if you like with a sales rep. If not, then this might work : https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/199528

The wrinkle that people have been using is you can get 3 months on a prepaid plan. So they get the cheapest, nastiest phone (eg $15 or below) and use it to get the 3 months of Netflix - and put the phone in a drawer. Coles and Woolies are good sources of such phones.

You have to activate before 5th July though.

My only question is can you suspend the foxtel for a while and only run off a smartDNS connection to iPlayer etc. - or indeed find a way to ditch it entirely (maybe FetchTV or some other sports streamer). In part it's determined by what wifey watches, and what sport you watch.
Yeah we are getting business plans set up all the time so I'll give them a ring tomorrow and find out why they are not telling us about the Netflix.

Unfortunately Foxtel have a monopoly on some of the sports. Its a killer. Rugby and F1. Is it worth it, no.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Game on

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/footy-codes-talk-to-netflix-fetch-tv-and-others-as-rights-bonanza-beckons-20150621-ghq212
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:29 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we are getting business plans set up all the time so I'll give them a ring tomorrow and find out why they are not telling us about the Netflix.
Not sure if you got anywhere, but Woolies have a cheapo Optus feature phone on deal from today - $14.50

That would give you three months Netflix for free (worth $35).

Need to activate by 5th
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure if you got anywhere, but Woolies have a cheapo Optus feature phone on deal from today - $14.50

That would give you three months Netflix for free (worth $35).

Need to activate by 5th
Cheers. Not chased up Optus yet.

To be fair, we've got this 6 months of Stan going on and there's plenty on it for now. Still rocking through "Power". Not the best acting I've ever seen, probably because you need to be prepared to bare just about everything and have crazy sex scenes, but gripping to say the least.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 2:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Chromecast on sale from Officeworks at the moment for $24.50

If you want one, order it online immediately - it will sell out within an hour or so.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Chromecast on sale from Officeworks at the moment for $24.50

If you want one, order it online immediately - it will sell out within an hour or so.
I want my $50 back from about 8 months ago or $25 of it.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 3:08 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

I want my $50 back from about 8 months ago or $25 of it.
How many freebies have you had in that time ?
Old Jul 16th 2015, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How many freebies have you had in that time ?
Not a lot directly via Chromecast, but it does make a good casting device.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 3:35 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Not a lot directly via Chromecast, but it does make a good casting device.
Really?

No 3 months free Google Music All Access? No movie rentals?

Mine's paid for itself a few times over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.