Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

(Strange Ozzies names) I've just met someone called....

(Strange Ozzies names) I've just met someone called....

Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: (Strange Ozzies names) I've just met someone called....

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I'm sure that I heard somewhere that somebody had called their twins Benson and Hedges. I suppose though as long as they are kept apart nobody will realise the joke

There are identical twins in year 11 with my son who are called peter & paul!! Well actually they are 'really' called ja bom & ja young but the two liittle dickiebirds is what everyone including teaching staff call them!!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kez81
A friend of mine son is called kieran her great grandmother calls him keyring
oh bless!!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:56 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I phoned a school here to ask for an application for my daughter, Charlotte. The woman who I spoke to asked for her name and when I told her Charlotte she said "So that's S H E R L E T then?" WTF is that?
Its yer canuck accent, it grates on aussie ears.........mm
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I assume Adolf is still on the German approved name list?
I've known or have heard of quite a few Austrian and Italians called Adolfus. It never even occurred to me to shorten it to Adolf... probably just as well, its probably not their favourite nickname.

JTL
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Its yer canuck accent, it grates on aussie ears.........mm
I've learned to pronounce it with an Aussie accent, though. I prefer to think she was just a bogan and wanted to give it a bogan spelling.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

Talking about Adolf as a name - I once knew a woman called Finnie. Turned out she was Austrian, and was born in 1938 to parents who fully approved of what Hitler was doing and named her Adolfina. When the whole Nazi thing ended, there she was, aged 8, with a totally unacceptable name, so from then on she contracted her name to Finnie. She grew up, disowned her Nazi parents, moved to England, but was stuck with the shameful name. Luckily for her, no-one (except curious me) realised what Finnie was short for. I kept quiet about it.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

My daughters have normal names but while in England Emma was not that popular in Oz it is.Sophie was very popular in England but the only other Sophie I have come across in Oz is also from England.

There seems to be more Hannah's here as my Hannah was little Hannah in kindy and in pre primary she still is little Hannah.The name has stuck as when she is out with friends and the only Hannah around she still is little Hannah.

I have noticed that Ozzies like surnames as first names like Grayson,Lincoln and Jackson.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Not like the British with "normal" names like Hermoine or Hortence. I grew up with a girl called Velvet. She would be in her <choke, sputter> mid-late 40's now.

Ariel is a man's name. It is a traditional Hebrew name, so really, the Little Mermaid character is the one with the cross-gender name.

What about those who shorten Richard to Dick? Don't the English realise what the North American English meaning is?
I used to work with an old guy called Richard Head and honest truth whenever he was asked his name he'd say Dick.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 6:43 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

My friend in aus has 2 kids India and Noah.
Here in UK i work in many schools - and meet many different children

TIA WRIGHT
AMBER HAZARD
ANGEL
CHARDONNAY
LEVI
PHIL COLLINS

Apologies if anyone has these names!

J x
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
mate of a mate was called Drew Peacock....

poor lad.
i knew a guy called Chris Peacock

(Crispy)

Jazzys