Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Strange names and the poor kids........

Wikiposts

Strange names and the poor kids........

Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Strange names and the poor kids........

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
We were in a restaurant other week and these 2 kids were at table next to us. The girl was called Adelaide (ok not too bad as she was born there), here brother was called banjo!!! ******* banjo lol (dwanonownow)
I was round my friend Hayley's house yesterday and her daughter, Fern, was waiting for her friend........Adalaide!!

And we are still in the UK.

Nickie
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Read this in BBC news about a little girl allegedly snatched who has been tereturned returned to her mother. Cute little girl but what an unattractive name!

Clark Rockefeller is accused of taking his seven-year-old, Reigh Storrow Boss, in Boston during a supervised visit.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:41 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the4ofus
My daughters are called Chloe - very common over here for her age (13) but when she was born in America people hadn't heard of the name. Cora is named after a character in the film "Titanic" - Jack dances with a wee girl in the paupers section of the ship and that was her name - always liked it when I heard it

Lynn xx
My daughter too is called Chloe - she's just turned 8. We live in Italy and NOBODY here has heard that name before. It did originally surprise me as its origins are Greek. Seems that this Greek name arrived in other places but not in Italy.

We get mixed reactions when we are out ....... some people say "oh how lovely" and others say " strange name ..never heard that before"

One person in 8 eight years has asked me if my daughter has such a strange name because i'm a foreigner and one thick ##@@ even said " why did you give such a beautiful girl such a godawful name?" !!!!!!!!!

We actually chose it as we thought it couldn't be swapped and changed from Italian to English like Catherine / Caterina ----- Elizabeth / Elisabetta and that she would always be Chloe wherever she goes ...... that much so far is true.

She loves her name as nobody else at school has it .... unlike so many Saras and Lauras and Chiaras. The only thing annoying her now is that her surname begins with a Z so she is always the last on any kind of register or roll call. You can't win em all I suppose !!!!!!! Lol !
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

Banjo could be for 'Banjo Patterson'

When my daughter started reception in the UK there was a girl called Tangerine in her year. When they were reading the class lists out all the parents sniggered which I thought was horrible for the poor child!

My two have Gaelic names (which probably dates them!), when they were born they were not too common but recognised - both of them shot up into the top ten names on those baby lists a few years later - typical hey!

Nikki
x

P.s - I am Nicola and constantly get called Nicole here or Nicole-a (that is Nicole with an 'a' added on the end as an afterthought)
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:14 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mysnix
Banjo could be for 'Banjo Patterson'

When my daughter started reception in the UK there was a girl called Tangerine in her year. When they were reading the class lists out all the parents sniggered which I thought was horrible for the poor child!

My two have Gaelic names (which probably dates them!), when they were born they were not too common but recognised - both of them shot up into the top ten names on those baby lists a few years later - typical hey!

Nikki
x

P.s - I am Nicola and constantly get called Nicole here or Nicole-a (that is Nicole with an 'a' added on the end as an afterthought)
what are your kids called ?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Nat1971 will become famous soon enough

I have a 7 year old son called Albert, when I took him for his first doctors visit, the receptionist stood their in amazement and asked how i could call such a young baby, such an old name!! I said, all Albert's were young once!

Although my dad and his friends (60 years +) would always call him Elbert and would never pronouce it as Albert. Apparrently that's how they say Albert (with an El). I had a family friend, who for years I thought was called Elbert that actually turned out to be an Albert.

I do get a few comments on it, being such an old fashioned names, and although alot of old names have come back (alfie, fred, archie etc) I've still only met one other Albert around my son's age.

If we'd have had another boy, I wanted Arthur or Ted (Teddy), but we had a girl instead.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:01 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nat1971
I have a 7 year old son called Albert, when I took him for his first doctors visit, the receptionist stood their in amazement and asked how i could call such a young baby, such an old name!! I said, all Albert's were young once!

Although my dad and his friends (60 years +) would always call him Elbert and would never pronouce it as Albert. Apparrently that's how they say Albert (with an El). I had a family friend, who for years I thought was called Elbert that actually turned out to be an Albert.

I do get a few comments on it, being such an old fashioned names, and although alot of old names have come back (alfie, fred, archie etc) I've still only met one other Albert around my son's age.

If we'd have had another boy, I wanted Arthur or Ted (Teddy), but we had a girl instead.
What did you call her?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Well, we had a few names in mind:

Poppy (my choice)
Daisy
Holly
Meadow (hubby's choice)

and we couldn't decide between those. A few hours after she was born, the midwife walked into room and said "so, what have you called her" and my son, who was 4 at the time, said Holly. So we went with that. Plus it was quite apt because she was born 2 weeks before Christmas.

Although I always liked the name Tuppence, thought it was very cute. But that would have put me into the "strange name and the poor kids" category.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:12 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we had a few names in mind:

Poppy (my choice)
Daisy
Holly
Meadow (hubby's choice)

and we couldn't decide between those. A few hours after she was born, the midwife walked into room and said "so, what have you called her" and my son, who was 4 at the time, said Holly. So we went with that. Plus it was quite apt because she was born 2 weeks before Christmas.

Although I always liked the name Tuppence, thought it was very cute. But that would have put me into the "strange name and the poor kids" category.
My eldest was due Christmas day and if she had arrived on that day we would have called her Holly. She was born on New Years Day in the end and we named her Katie instead.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My eldest was due Christmas day and if she had arrived on that day we would have called her Holly. She was born on New Years Day in the end and we named her Katie instead.
I was going to name Amy (my youngest) Holly - but it was too much of a mouthful with the surname....

My friend has a huge family and some are quite strange in name...
Valencia
Stella
Vallene
Shelly
Theodore
India
Fauve
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

And Meadow doesn't?

Last edited by spartacus; Aug 5th 2008 at 4:37 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
And Meadow doesn't?
Aaaah, but that was hubby's choice. Although i did quite like it at one stage. When we told the rest of the family that we was thinking about naming a girl Meadow, they all prayed we'd have a boy

All our friends were surprised we went for a quite a normal girls name in the end.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

My youngest son is called McCaulay Innes and everytime his name has to be shouted out its always Innes McCaulay, blooding annoying..

Suzanne
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svinnes
My youngest son is called McCaulay Innes and everytime his name has to be shouted out its always Innes McCaulay, blooding annoying..

Suzanne
And you hadn't anticipated that?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

One of the mums at the school has just had a baby girl and named her Willow which is think is pretty cute.

There seems to be quite a few Chad's & Dale's at my sons school

My boys are Ellis and Rhys, not strange I don't think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.