Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Stop taking about your kids...

Wikiposts

Stop taking about your kids...

Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Insinc will become famous soon enoughInsinc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stop taking about your kids...

Originally Posted by Dorothy
In that case you just say "he/she's breathtaking".
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:53 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
Awesome
I used to talk about my kids, I think. Probably when they were little, when I had friends who talked about their little kids - it's like you get advice and check what other parents do.... but then... at playgroup one day, when I was looking forward to adult company, I was with someone who had a degree in political history or some such other interesting subject and all she could talk about was how worried she was that her 12 month old daughter's hair wasn't growing properly and that it was too thin and she was having difficulty styling it into bunches. She asked my advice on it and all of a sudden I had this revelation and thought 'I really must hang around people who actually use their brain cells'.
Since then, I have taken my advice and I'm much happier for it.

I have three children. If you want to know something, ask them.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:56 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I had this revelation and thought 'I really must hang around people who actually use their brain cells'.
Since then, I have taken my advice and I'm much happier for it.
so you started hanging around here????????
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Quite the opposite. I don't really come here at all any more. This is because I'm too busy running the 'Political Science for Mothers Who Are Interested In Having a Conversation Not About Hair group'

But yes, BE was much more interesting for a while. Can you see how desperate I was?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

there are certainly a few on here who know/have an opinion on everything - my mum used to say "a Jack of all trades, a master of non"!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Quite the opposite. I don't really come here at all any more. . . .
. . . and, I think you'd agree, we're all the poorer for that . .
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hebe
there are certainly a few on here who know/have an opinion on everything - my mum used to say "a Jack of all trades, a master of non"!
I love your mum.

Mum's are always right.

I'm a mum. Did I mention that?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:02 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

my mum used to say "stop playing yourself or you'll go blind". In your face mum, I have 20:20 vision!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

. . . she said . . . having an opinion (and a catchphrase) on those with an opinion . . .
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus
. . . and, I think you'd agree, we're all the poorer for that . .
I don't think so. I don't think anyone's noticed. (Apart from you)
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:04 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

I don't think so. I don't think anyone's noticed. (Apart from you)
I noticed! You were the first person to give me karma
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
Why do some people feel the need to spend their whole lives talking about their children? I work with a woman who, not only content with having a shrine on her desk of her kids, uses any opportunity to talk about "Jack" and "Chloe" when ever any topic might come up that is remotely anything to do with children. Every Monday morning sales meeting I dread the "So, what did you get up to on the weekend" only to spend the next 15 minutes listening to said woman's constand crapping on about her kids, from their bowl movements to achievements at Auskick.

This morning I sat on the train and a gobby woman sat next to me with her husband and a friend and spent the next 45 minutes talkig about her kids, nothing else, from grusome operations through to registering them at Caulfield grammer when they were 6 months old cos you have to.

I am not bitter and twisted before I start to get the wrath of mums out there who find my post annoying, I am infact very pro kiddies but cant understand why some people, (men as much as women) seem to assume everyone is interested in hearing about their kids all the time and they go from being quite interesting to people to "dummy mummies/daddies" spouting nothing at all but constant crap about their children.....

I'd love to say being a pom that Australians are worst for this but my Brothers wife (who is from Cambridge dont you know) is the worst offender..

I suppose I could just be a miserable sod but one of the other girls at work brought it up first
Do tend to agree but this kiddie worship thing is also big in parts of Europe.
In France and Germany i came across a lot, spoilt rotton and treated as little emperors.
It seems that the English are judged as not being so child tolerant as a lot of other Europeans seem to infer they are. Stats i seem to recall from long ago, showed how much more was spent on pet food than baby food in the UK.
Perhaps here in Australia the kid thing is often over emphasised owing to little else to talk about?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:05 pm

I noticed! You were the first person to give me karma
Awww. A seminal *cough* moment for you.

What was I thinking?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:07 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Awww. A semenal *cough* moment for you.
Indeed it was
Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour
.... Stats i seem to recall from long ago, showed how much more was spent on pet food than baby food in the UK.

This is because pet food is usually made from old horses and comes usually in tins... and we tend to feed babies vegetables and other food we might consider eating ourselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.