Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Stop taking about your kids...

Stop taking about your kids...

Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Stop taking about your kids...

Why do some people feel the need to spend their whole lives talking about their children? I work with a woman who, not only content with having a shrine on her desk of her kids, uses any opportunity to talk about "Jack" and "Chloe" when ever any topic might come up that is remotely anything to do with children. Every Monday morning sales meeting I dread the "So, what did you get up to on the weekend" only to spend the next 15 minutes listening to said woman's constand crapping on about her kids, from their bowl movements to achievements at Auskick.

This morning I sat on the train and a gobby woman sat next to me with her husband and a friend and spent the next 45 minutes talkig about her kids, nothing else, from grusome operations through to registering them at Caulfield grammer when they were 6 months old cos you have to.

I am not bitter and twisted before I start to get the wrath of mums out there who find my post annoying, I am infact very pro kiddies but cant understand why some people, (men as much as women) seem to assume everyone is interested in hearing about their kids all the time and they go from being quite interesting to people to "dummy mummies/daddies" spouting nothing at all but constant crap about their children.....

I'd love to say being a pom that Australians are worst for this but my Brothers wife (who is from Cambridge dont you know) is the worst offender..

I suppose I could just be a miserable sod but one of the other girls at work brought it up first
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop taking about your kids...

Originally Posted by Sherro
Why do some people feel the need to spend their whole lives talking about their children? I work with a woman who, not only content with having a shrine on her desk of her kids, uses any opportunity to talk about "Jack" and "Chloe" when ever any topic might come up that is remotely anything to do with children. Every Monday morning sales meeting I dread the "So, what did you get up to on the weekend" only to spend the next 15 minutes listening to said woman's constand crapping on about her kids, from their bowl movements to achievements at Auskick.

This morning I sat on the train and a gobby woman sat next to me with her husband and a friend and spent the next 45 minutes talkig about her kids, nothing else, from grusome operations through to registering them at Caulfield grammer when they were 6 months old cos you have to.

I am not bitter and twisted before I start to get the wrath of mums out there who find my post annoying, I am infact very pro kiddies but cant understand why some people, (men as much as women) seem to assume everyone is interested in hearing about their kids all the time and they go from being quite interesting to people to "dummy mummies/daddies" spouting nothing at all but constant crap about their children.....

I'd love to say being a pom that Australians are worst for this but my Brothers wife (who is from Cambridge dont you know) is the worst offender..

I suppose I could just be a miserable sod but one of the other girls at work brought it up first
I wish i had a bit more time to give you a long reply but Im just geting my two kids ready for school.Mind you mine are a bit older so my daughter has managed to get her own breakfast done this morning.Im very proud of her.She took part at the TOM this weekend at Uwa and did very well.Of course her brother is a very talented artist and he is doing well at school.Im just waiting till Summer comes as his asthma gets better.Right I better bring them to school now.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Insinc will become famous soon enoughInsinc will become famous soon enough

here here!!

There's more to life, so I find every opportunity to NOT speak about kids, to the point I actively steer conversations away with questions about shows, interests, movies, politics, hairstyles, shoes...ANYTHING...to stop to constant whine of kids crap.
And YES I have my own ankle snappers
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Insinc will become famous soon enoughInsinc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I wish i had a bit more time to give you a long reply but Im just geting my two kids ready for school.Mind you mine are a bit older so my daughter has managed to get her own breakfast done this morning.Im very proud of her.She took part at the TOM this weekend at Uwa and did very well.Of course her brother is a very talented artist and he is doing well at school.Im just waiting till Summer comes as his asthma gets better.Right I better bring them to school now.

hahaha
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

There's a particular Mum at school I have to steer well clear of. Blimey, if it's not her son's genius, it's her daughter's callapathetics (or whatever it's called!!) - she's also a genius.

Though had to bite my tongue when her son - whose disruptive behaviour is, of course, caused by his highly gifted brain - failed miserably to reach my daughter's scores (who is 18 months younger than him).
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind people talking about their kids. I hate it when people bang on about property though - how much their home/investment properties are worth.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be that their children are the main focus of their lives? Did you not go on and on and on and on about your planned migration to Australia? Maybe to the point of people wanting to tell you to shut the hell up? It's human nature to talk about the main thing in our lives, whether it be a new boyfriend/girlfriend, a trip, migration plans, children.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

How old are Jack and Chloe?

Being a fairly new mum with 2 kids under 4, may be I can explain a bit from my perspective. Children, especially when they are young, consume so much of your life that, there's little else you do that's not related to the kids. So if ever you ask a young mum or dad how they've been or what they've been up to, you will likely hear lots about their children. I don't know if my friends think I talk too much about my kids, but they do seem genuine in wanting to hear about them. Or do they?! I'd better ask them next time we meet to confirm.

May be the "gobby woman's" friend on the train was genuinely interested in knowing all the details about the couple's kid(s)? Or the couple thought he/she was? They weren't exactly talking to you or telling you about their family, were they? Cover your ears next time or move away.

Some people are born talkative. They live to talk. If they didn't have children you would still hear them talking nonstop about their new house, holiday plans, etc. This particular social/communication skill isn't exclusive to those with kids.

So do you want to hear about my weekend?

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

"I suppose I could just be a miserable sod"

Yup,i say live and let live,there's worse stuff she could be bleating about.And at least shes not slating other people.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

There were a couple of ladies where I used to work that spoke of nothing but their kids. Day in, day out....."Little Johnnys got gumboils, little Britneys got a nose flute recital at 4 and I spent all night scraping glittler glue off the carpet". Fair enough, I suppose but after a while they do start to sound as though they may be coming unglued mentally.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
There were a couple of ladies where I used to work that spoke of nothing but their kids. Day in, day out....."Little Johnnys got gumboils, little Britneys got a nose flute recital at 4 and I spent all night scraping glittler glue off the carpet". Fair enough, I suppose but after a while they do start to sound as though they may be coming unglued mentally.

You're not on your own. After a while it starts to get completely waring, particularly at work. I also noticed it at some of the meets I went to when I was first here - All people would do was sit around talking about how brilliant their kids were, and seemed quite taken aback when I said that I didn't have any.

The meets in pubs (where kids don't generally go) were always much more fun.

S
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I don't mind people talking about their kids. I hate it when people bang on about property though - how much their home/investment properties are worth.
I know what you mean.I was stuck in a crowd walking to a footie match and this man in front was going on about his property investments and how much money he has in his accounts all in a very loud voice!Then he said he was going to dinner with friends after the match and I just had a bit of a smile thinking they have got an exciting evening ahead of them.

I don't mind if people who are talking about their children stop and ask about yours.Also it is the boasting that gets me,don't get me wrong I am pleased for my friends if their child has done really well it is the Mums that usually ignore me the rest of the time that annoy me.Sue.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:15 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Beats people talking about their work and workplace all the time
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:22 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

What sh!ts me is when kids go around talking about their parents non-stop!

"My dad's the best in the world", "My dad's got a 14" willy!".

God it sh!ts me when my son goes to kindy boasting!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:26 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

what gets me is the whole "as a mum" thing. It seems as soon as you become a parent every view point has to be prefixed by "as a mum/mother I feel that....".

Also, in my experience, stay at home mums dont bladder on as much as parents that are working.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.