Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Spectrum? Amstrad? Atari?

Spectrum? Amstrad? Atari?

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 5:52 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spectrum? Amstrad? Atari?

What 'computer/console' did you have as a child and which were your favourite games?

I'll start us off:

Jet Set Willy

Paperboy

Gauntlet

Chuckie Egg

Bombjack?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:52 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spectrum? Amstrad? Atari?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
What 'computer/console' did you have as a child and which were your favourite games?

I'll start us off:

Jet Set Willy

Paperboy

Gauntlet

Chuckie Egg

Bombjack?
Started with a commodore 16 (crap)

then a spectrum 128k+2 (built in tape deck)

Renegade
R-Type

Then onto consoles
Salamander
Street Fighter II wasted days of my life
Bomber Man
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:57 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Started with a commodore 16 (crap)

then a spectrum 128k+2 (built in tape deck)

Renegade
R-Type

Then onto consoles
Salamander
Street Fighter II wasted days of my life
Bomber Man
Yeah I'd the +2, do you remember shinobi? Oh i loved it lol
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:13 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

One thing that really bugged me was u waited about half an hour (or so it seemed @ that age) while the thing squealed and such like, then it said 'load error' or something to that effect and ud to rewind and start again lol
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:29 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
One thing that really bugged me was u waited about half an hour (or so it seemed @ that age) while the thing squealed and such like, then it said 'load error' or something to that effect and ud to rewind and start again lol
i have an amiga 600 with the second floopy drive and about 200 games
( bought this new in 91 )

still us it to play cannon fodder which is highly addictive lol

Last edited by steve`o; Jul 23rd 2009 at 9:04 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:15 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

ATARI CONSOLE

ZX81

COMODDORE VIC 20

COMODDORE 64

SPECTRUM 48K

Nothing stands out they were all crap, great at the time, however I recall my first gaming experience was a square going accross the screen and you had a gun to shoot it with.

It was slow, wires everywhere..

Doesn't compare to my 360

Fave games

jet set willy

jet pac

manic minor

roller coaster

Ant attack

avalon

daley thompsons decatholon

Guantlet

Ghostbusters

golden axe

paperboy

You can still buy these games and use an emulator to place them on a pc if you really really want to

http://www.retro-games.net/ecom/zx.asp

Last edited by Brisben; Jul 23rd 2009 at 9:21 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:37 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
ATARI CONSOLE

ZX81

COMODDORE VIC 20

COMODDORE 64

SPECTRUM 48K

Nothing stands out they were all crap, great at the time, however I recall my first gaming experience was a square going accross the screen and you had a gun to shoot it with.

It was slow, wires everywhere..

Doesn't compare to my 360

Fave games

jet set willy

jet pac

manic minor

roller coaster

Ant attack

avalon

daley thompsons decatholon

Guantlet

Ghostbusters

golden axe

paperboy

You can still buy these games and use an emulator to place them on a pc if you really really want to

http://www.retro-games.net/ecom/zx.asp
I still play Elite on the PC.

Ah the old 8 bitters. I had a Commodore 64. Remember the big change, when we went from 8-bit computing to 16-bit computing? Everyone had to upgrade to Amigas etc.

A lot of you might not realise but we're going through something as big right now. The move from 32 to 64 bit systems is going to be interesting.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:42 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

JET SET WILLY II

Yep top top game

Never forget that load screeching of the game loading up (for what seemed like hours ) on the plug in tape deck that was attached to the rubber keyed 48k Spectrum

And if you touched any keys or breathed in the wrong direction is crashed !

Always wanted the Amiga 500 with ZOOL

Imagine me showing my boys that set up now they would just laugh

Dougie
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:43 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
I still play Elite on the PC.

Ah the old 8 bitters. I had a Commodore 64. Remember the big change, when we went from 8-bit computing to 16-bit computing? Everyone had to upgrade to Amigas etc.

A lot of you might not realise but we're going through something as big right now. The move from 32 to 64 bit systems is going to be interesting.
I wonder when we will see that come through on consoles.

I know they are expensive now, but dare not imagine the price of a newer shinier console whether it be microsoft or sony..
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 10:17 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Machines owned while a teen
  • Sinclair ZX80
  • Sinclair ZX81
  • Sinclair Spectrum
  • Commodore VIC20
  • BBC Model B
  • Intellivision
  • Vectrex
  • Colecovision
  • ... then various PC's and machines
Best games played
  • Elite (BBC)
  • Hobbit (Spectrum)
  • Sherlock (Spectrum)
  • Manic Miner (Spectrum)
  • Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (Intellivision)
  • B52 Bomber (Intellivision with first voice module)

Al
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 10:18 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
I know they are expensive now, but dare not imagine the price of a newer shinier console whether it be microsoft or sony..
XboX Evolution and PS4 are already in pre-production.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 10:48 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Commodore 64 but there was something really (yes, really) slow before that which I forget.
Games
Ghost Busters
China Miner
Chiller,
Donkey Kong

Many others but our room was freezing so in winter, it could take 20mins to warm up Ah, the days of tape

Cooler
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:04 pm
ABCDiamond

1977, I went back to college, and the college just got one of these in to try out... The Commodore PET

I bought one shortly after....

No hard Drive, no floppy drive... data was stored on a cassette tape...

4k of Ram, with an upgrade to 8k for those who wanted POWER

My upgrade to an Amstrad PCW8512 was a phenomenal jump... with 512k of ram !

Note: PC back then stood for Professional Computer, as can be read on the PC.

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:32 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Atari Console then
ZX Spectrum
Oric Atmos (what a pile of shite)

I was a fairly early adaptor to the PC. I bought one in about 1989/90 with a 286 processor, 1024k ram and a (I think) 10Mb hard disk - it cost a fortune!
I loved the early PC games:
Prince of Persia
Castle Wolfenstein
Leisure Suit Larry
Silent Service 2
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe

I recently bought a 486 computer for $5 and plan to set it up to play some of these great games.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I had a ZX Spectrum - the one with the built in tape deck. I remember the Dizzy games with that egg thing! I also remember those really old platform games such as Altered Beast, and how you'd go for a cup of tea once you set the computer loading.

A mate of mine then got an Amiga. The games were then all in colour and wow, you would put the disk in the drive and the game would pop up immediately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.