Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
?????????????????????????????????????????????
Where have I said ALL AUSSIES ARE BAD LOSERS? I haven't even inferred this in any of my posts. What I said, was that some of these incidents are slowly giving the perception outside of Australia that Australians are sore losers. I never said they actually were as a generalisation, I just highlighted some events that have unfortunately given that perception.

But thanks for psycho analysis and lumping me into your little category! From reading some of your previous posts you seem hell bent on laying into anyone even remotely saying anything negative about Australia or Aussies. Maybe you should read posts before passing judgement or comment on other people, as I have not criticised Aussies or Australians in this case.
Chill mate..there are bad losers here and there. As for reputation, it's just journalism in the end. Mr Barnes is considered one of the biggest throbbers in the entire sport, and that's before you even get into his journalism. He is paid handsomely to serve this up.

I don't trust anything I read in the papers. 4 people playing bad losers in 5 years is a non-event. And you could argue that the Brits are stereotypically good losers because they are allegedly good at it - when in fact they are capable of winning well....not that I want to get into the age old comparison...

There is a book out there called 'Fooled by Randomness' - where among other common strands the author is very critical of events reported in the media and the effect on public opinion.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I haven't found that at all. The local press and radio (in Melly at least) handled the 2005 defeat well and with humour. Can't say I experienced the same from the English press and radio when I lived there.
I'm convinced, or feel I can conclude, that Melbourne operates a different mentality to the rest of the country.

It's papers do seem to report failures - and you can find in it's editorials precisely what other people from other states complain they can't find.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:36 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Aussies are bad losers becasue they are'nt used to losing unlike the English.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Aussies are bad losers becasue they are'nt used to losing unlike the English.
Possibly because they don't qualify for many competitions maybe!!

Last edited by nickyjohnt; Jul 12th 2009 at 2:47 am.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:10 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Like the World Curling Championship?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:32 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Or rather that we tend to win the ones we enter.

England qualifies for plenty of stuff, but I don't hear a lot of winning going on. Even at the Olympics it took the combined force of England, Scotland and Wales to take more medals than Australia.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:42 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

England qualifies for plenty of stuff, but I don't hear a lot of winning going on. Even at the Olympics it took the combined force of England, Scotland and Wales to take more medals than Australia.
Here we go again !!!!!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:45 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

whilst with Australia it took the combined force of nearly every single third world country.
Look at how many of Australia's Olympic athletes or coaches have been in Australia for less than 10 years.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:07 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

whilst with Australia it took the combined force of nearly every single third world country.
What? Australia usually ranks in the top 6 at the Olympics - beating wealthy 1st world nations with far better facilities, far larger teams and more than double our population - and we totally dominate the Commonwealth Games.

Look at how many of Australia's Olympic athletes or coaches have been in Australia for less than 10 years.
Do you have an exact figure? Oh, and... relevance?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:16 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

What? Australia usually ranks in the top 6 at the Olympics - beating wealthy 1st world nations with far better facilities, far larger teams and more than double our population - and we totally dominate the Commonwealth Games.

Do you have an exact figure? Oh, and... relevance?
your statement that England have to enroll the Welsh, Scottish and N.Irish to beat the Aussies in the medal count makes my statement relevant to your argument.

Australia enrol poor overseas athletes all the time to bolster their team, especially in those sports where they are crap. The funniest one, was an Algerian long distance runner who was granted Aussie citizenship the day before the 2008 Olympic selection deadline. How convenient....
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:21 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Do you have an exact figure?
No, but here is a list of "Australian" athletes at the 2008 Games

Cate Campbell
Matt Target
Myriam Glez
Erika Leal-Ramirez
Pietro Figlioli
Sky Kim
Youcef Abdi
Luke Adams
Clinton Hill
Fabrice Lapierre
Eugenia Tanaka
CJ Bruton
Stephen Sutherland
Rob Bell
Torsten Lachmann
Chantal Meek
Laurie Lever
Lucinda Fredericks
Clayton Fredericks
Billy Celeski
Neil Kilkenny
Nikita Rukavytsya
Archie Thompson
Daria Joura
Rachel Imison
Fergus Kavanagh
Maria Pekli
Semir Pepic
Rod Hisholm
Peter Hardcastle
Amy Ives
Dina Aspandiyarova
Stacy Roiall
Lalita Yauhleuskaya
Jian Fang Lay
Miao Miao
Stephanie Sang
Kyla Bremner
Sandeep Kumar
Hassan Shahsavan

Coaches:
Hui Tong, Xiangning Chen, Anna Nepotacheva, Marina Kholod, Irena Olevsky, Aleksandr Osadchuk, Kyomoon Oh, Brian Goorijan, Bodo Andreass, Annika Neukaeter, Maria Israelsson, Vladmir Sher, Serguei Chinkar, Mikhail Barabach, Nikolay Zhuravlev, Victor Kovalenko, Lars Kleppich, Anatoly Babushkin, Miroslav Sipec, Valeriy Timokhin, Tae Ho Uhm, Carlos Garletti, Leonid Zaslavsky

Glass houses!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:52 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

And let's not forget Zola Budd
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Having read the article now, the actual tenor of it is that he says how well Australian and Englishmen get on..really...
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:09 am
Fighting my corner

Talking Re: Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

No, but here is a list of "Australian" athletes at the 2008 Games

Cate Campbell
Matt Target
Myriam Glez
Erika Leal-Ramirez
Pietro Figlioli
Sky Kim
Youcef Abdi
Luke Adams
Clinton Hill
Fabrice Lapierre
Eugenia Tanaka
CJ Bruton
Stephen Sutherland
Rob Bell
Torsten Lachmann
Chantal Meek
Laurie Lever
Lucinda Fredericks
Clayton Fredericks
Billy Celeski
Neil Kilkenny
Nikita Rukavytsya
Archie Thompson
Daria Joura
Rachel Imison
Fergus Kavanagh
Maria Pekli
Semir Pepic
Rod Hisholm
Peter Hardcastle
Amy Ives
Dina Aspandiyarova
Stacy Roiall
Lalita Yauhleuskaya
Jian Fang Lay
Miao Miao
Stephanie Sang
Kyla Bremner
Sandeep Kumar
Hassan Shahsavan
A nice long list of Australian names there. Good to see our thriving multicultural nation so broadly represented.

Coaches:
Hui Tong, Xiangning Chen, Anna Nepotacheva, Marina Kholod, Irena Olevsky, Aleksandr Osadchuk, Kyomoon Oh, Brian Goorijan, Bodo Andreass, Annika Neukaeter, Maria Israelsson, Vladmir Sher, Serguei Chinkar, Mikhail Barabach, Nikolay Zhuravlev, Victor Kovalenko, Lars Kleppich, Anatoly Babushkin, Miroslav Sipec, Valeriy Timokhin, Tae Ho Uhm, Carlos Garletti, Leonid Zaslavsky
"Australia in 'we hired people who actually knew what they were talking about' shocker!" Wow, I am absolutely stunned that Australia has brought in the best coaches they could source from overseas, just like every other country does. Whoever would have thought it?

Stop me if I'm wrong, but who actually competes in the event? The athlete or the coach? Oh wait - I do believe it's the athlete. So the nationality of the coach is completely irrelevant.

Glass houses!
Er, no. Australia is one nation competing as a single nation. The UK is three nations competing as one.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:15 am
Fighting my corner

Talking Re: Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

your statement that England have to enroll the Welsh, Scottish and N.Irish to beat the Aussies in the medal count makes my statement relevant to your argument.
Well no, it's still not relevant, because the issue is one of scale, not nationality. With the three nations combined, you have a population three times the size of ours, and a GDP of $2.13 trillion compared to our £773 billion. You field more athletes, you enjoy a larger budget, and you have easy access to the best talent in Europe. Yet we continue to beat you again and again.

Australia enrol poor overseas athletes all the time to bolster their team, especially in those sports where they are crap. The funniest one, was an Algerian long distance runner who was granted Aussie citizenship the day before the 2008 Olympic selection deadline. How convenient....
If we're enrolling poor athletes, why do we keep winning?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.