Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:55 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Didn't imply that either. I don't think he works for the local press or radio either. In fact I don't know anything about Hewitt as I don't follow tennis.
what's the press or local media got to do with anything? I never mentioned it. You retorted to my post with a reference to the media, which is not what I was doing
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:05 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
what's the press or local media got to do with anything? I never mentioned it. You retorted to my post with a reference to the media, which is not what I was doing
Okay. You're right. You win. Aussies are bad losers unlike their oh so magnanimous English counterparts.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:14 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Okay. You're right. You win. Aussies are bad losers unlike their oh so magnanimous English counterparts.
Where have I made this claim? I never compared the Aussies to the British. You did.

All I did was say that the Aussie sportsman's reputation has taken a battering over the last 10 years due to some unsavoury sporting behaviour. (John Howard, Ponting and Co, Hewitt, Tamsin Lewis at the C'wealth Games and more recently an Aussie athlete trying to get a paralympian kicked out because of disability technicality)
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:16 am
Account Closed

Where have I made this claim? I never compared the Aussies to the British. You did.

All I did was say that the Aussie sportsman's reputation has taken a battering over the last 10 years due to some unsavoury sporting behaviour. (John Howard, Ponting and Co, Hewitt, Tamsin Lewis at the C'wealth Games and more recently an Aussie athlete trying to get a paralympian kicked out because of disability technicality)
Did I say you made that comparison? No, I didn't.

As you're going to persist. Your original post's use of the word Aussie was ambiguous. You could have meant Aussie player or Aussies in general. I now know in hindsight that you meant Aussie player but it was not clear at the time. My response was about Aussies in general. You followed by trying to put words into my mouth and I countered them as they were not my words.

I agree that there are some badly behaved Aussie sports people out there, just as there are badly behaved US, UK, French, German, etc... sports people from time to time.

I fully accept that you did not mention the Brits, Americans, French or Germans. That was me, all me. It's not always about you.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jul 11th 2009 at 11:25 am.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:18 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Did I say you made that claim?
errr yeah. Read that post again.

"Okay. You're right. You win. Aussies are bad losers unlike their oh so magnanimous English counterparts"
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:26 am
Account Closed

errr yeah. Read that post again.

"Okay. You're right. You win. Aussies are bad losers unlike their oh so magnanimous English counterparts"
And at what point did I say you made the comparison?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:33 am
I'm Old Gregg!

And at what point did I say you made the comparison?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:37 am
Account Closed

That's my comment. Still can't see where I said you made that claim.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:43 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a suggestion: instead of staying up all night and becoming bear headed over spectator "sport", get a good night's sleep and actually play some, yourself, in person; that is in your own flesh.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Here's a suggestion: instead of staying up all night and becoming bear headed over spectator "sport", get a good night's sleep and actually play some, yourself, in person; that is in your own flesh.
Okay
Old Jul 11th 2009, 12:04 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

That's my comment. Still can't see where I said you made that claim.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

My feelings as well which is why I tried to kill it quite a few posts ago.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Why the generalisation "Aussies are all bad losers" have you ever had a conversation with a journalist, I have and its a worry I can tell you.

I waited for the article to be printed thinking wonder what she will say.

A friend of mine got mentioned in the Age once and the description of her was nothing like her so its all perception.

If you want to be an Aussie, support the Aussies, if you want to only borrow Australia then one is the same as all the other migrants we berate
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:01 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Petals
Why the generalisation "Aussies are all bad losers" have you ever had a conversation with a journalist, I have and its a worry I can tell you.

I waited for the article to be printed thinking wonder what she will say.

A friend of mine got mentioned in the Age once and the description of her was nothing like her so its all perception.

If you want to be an Aussie, support the Aussies, if you want to only borrow Australia then one is the same as all the other migrants we berate
?????????????????????????????????????????????
Where have I said ALL AUSSIES ARE BAD LOSERS? I haven't even inferred this in any of my posts. What I said, was that some of these incidents are slowly giving the perception outside of Australia that Australians are sore losers. I never said they actually were as a generalisation, I just highlighted some events that have unfortunately given that perception.

But thanks for psycho analysis and lumping me into your little category! From reading some of your previous posts you seem hell bent on laying into anyone even remotely saying anything negative about Australia or Aussies. Maybe you should read posts before passing judgement or comment on other people, as I have not criticised Aussies or Australians in this case.

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Jul 11th 2009 at 2:06 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
However I have found that most Australians are very appreciative of good play and will applaud it. You cannot judge the whole nation by a few.

What our family likes is a good match, not a slaughter whoever is the victor.
Love sport but am seriously over the whole Australia-England rivalry, and over the introspective who does it, who doesn't do it, who gets upset, who doesn't...who wants it, who doesn't, who gets it...who won't...blah blah

Still reading though..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.