Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

Old Jul 11th 2009, 1:41 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough
Default Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

IF we don't hate them, why do we love to beat them? Why is it Australia, above all other nations, that we like to beat at sport? Why is it that defeat at the hands of Australia is one of the most painful sensations that sport can offer?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 1:54 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simon Barnes - Why England & Oz hate each other

I think you'll find that it is not limited to England wanting to beat the Aussies at all costs. Over the last 10 years the worldwide perception of Aussies in sport has changed from a fair play/play hard sporting nation to one that shows great inability to handle themselves in a dignified manner when losing (Aussie Cricket Team, Lleyton Hewitt, John Howard at the Rugby World Cup to name a few examples). I think this has lead a lot of other sporting nations really want to stick it up the Aussies. The fact that England/Britain has suffered probably the most in terms of defeat to the Aussies only spurs us on further.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

As we are now Australians so we support Australia and I don't like them to lose anymore than other Aussies to any other team. However I have found that most Australians are very appreciative of good play and will applaud it. You cannot judge the whole nation by a few.

What our family likes is a good match, not a slaughter whoever is the victor.

Only time our family supports somewhere else is Scotland as oh is a scot and he says he is not English so he does not have to support England.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Petals
As we are now Australians so we support Australia and I don't like them to lose anymore than other Aussies to any other team. However I have found that most Australians are very appreciative of good play and will applaud it. You cannot judge the whole nation by a few.

What our family likes is a good match, not a slaughter whoever is the victor.

Only time our family supports somewhere else is Scotland as oh is a scot and he says he is not English so he does not have to support England.
I have noticed that when Australia lose at any sport, there is never any mention in the media a day later. The 2003 world cup was a classic example. Even though Australia hosted the competition, within a couple of days, it was like the games never took place.

Luckily I am here to remind them who keeps knocking them out of that competition. 1995 Rob Andrew kicks the winning goal in the last 10 seconds of the game, 2003 Johnny Wilkingson Kicks the winning goal in the last 30 seconds of the game & 2007 (cant remember much about that game as I was pissed at the time) but the end result was still the same. Sit Down Australia - Next

Barney
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:26 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
I have noticed that when Australia lose at any sport, there is never any mention in the media a day later. The 2003 world cup was a classic example. Even though Australia hosted the competition, within a couple of days, it was like the games never took place.

Luckily I am here to remind them who keeps knocking them out of that competition. 1995 Rob Andrew kicks the winning goal in the last 10 seconds of the game, 2003 Johnny Wilkingson Kicks the winning goal in the last 30 seconds of the game & 2007 (cant remember much about that game as I was pissed at the time) but the end result was still the same. Sit Down Australia - Next

Barney
According to Wikipedia, the 2003 World Cup was played in South Africa.

Apparently, "The tournament was won by Australia who defeated India in the final."

I think you must have been more heavily under the influence than you are willing to admit even to yourself.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:29 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
According to Wikipedia, the 2003 World Cup was played in South Africa.

Apparently, "The tournament was won by Australia who defeated India in the final."

I think you must have been more heavily under the influence than you are willing to admit even to yourself.
That's the Cricket World Cup, not the Rugby World Cup
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:31 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Petals
Completely agree, but you must admit that the behaviours of Hewitt and the national cricket team over the last 10 years has certainly dinted Australia's reputation
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:34 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
That's the Cricket World Cup, not the Rugby World Cup
Oops. So many these days, hard to keep up.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:37 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you'll find that it is not limited to England wanting to beat the Aussies at all costs. Over the last 10 years the worldwide perception of Aussies in sport has changed from a fair play/play hard sporting nation to one that shows great inability to handle themselves in a dignified manner when losing (Aussie Cricket Team, Lleyton Hewitt, John Howard at the Rugby World Cup to name a few examples). I think this has lead a lot of other sporting nations really want to stick it up the Aussies. The fact that England/Britain has suffered probably the most in terms of defeat to the Aussies only spurs us on further.
I haven't found that at all. The local press and radio (in Melly at least) handled the 2005 defeat well and with humour. Can't say I experienced the same from the English press and radio when I lived there.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:42 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I haven't found that at all. The local press and radio (in Melly at least) handled the 2005 defeat well and with humour. Can't say I experienced the same from the English press and radio when I lived there.
...but Ponting's and Katich's behaviour was acceptable then was it?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:45 am
Account Closed

I didn't say that or imply that. Neither of them work for the local press or radio.

If you want to go that way, I'll agree Ponting is a dick and so is Flintoff.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:45 am
Banned

Do tell, hugging on field were they?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:48 am
I'm Old Gregg!

I didn't say that or imply that. Neither of them work for the local press or radio.

....and Hewitt's racial villification of a line judge was also just misunderstood too, I suppose
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:51 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Flintoff's bad behaviour is kept to off the field unlike Ponting and Katich
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:51 am
Account Closed

....and Hewitt's racial villification of a line judge was also just misunderstood too, I suppose
Didn't imply that either. I don't think he works for the local press or radio either. In fact I don't know anything about Hewitt as I don't follow tennis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.