Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Wikiposts

Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

[QUOTE=stevenglish;8271322]
Originally Posted by kporte

Absolute tosh
That very line was used in "love thy neighbour" where Sid stayed next door to a "darkie" and the whole show was based around racial slurs
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:16 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kporte;8271326]
Originally Posted by stevenglish

That very line was used in "love thy neighbour" where Sid stayed next door to a "darkie" and the whole show was based around racial slurs
Probably his fav show.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Lord_Farquar;8271327]

Probably his fav show.
Absolutely right mate, that and mind your language. You got me pegged
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:35 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=stevenglish;8271353]
Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar

Absolutely right mate, that and mind your language. You got me pegged
I can't stand the show. It's not even funny.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Lord_Farquar;8271360]
Originally Posted by stevenglish

I can't stand the show. It's not even funny.
whoever said sarcasm didn't come accross on a forum was bang on
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:39 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=stevenglish;8271361]

whoever said sarcasm didn't come accross on a forum was bang on
I said I didn't like it. Nothing to do with whether you like it or not.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

It all boils down to personal perception of words. To me a gollywog is nothing but a toy doll or a little paper doll in a jar of jam, that's the way I was brought up. I may have grown up in the 50's in the UK but NEVER did I think of it as anything else. Maybe it's different in America, I imagine it is, but I'm not an american so wouldn't really know.

It also depends on the way words are used and the context in which they are spoken. If I have a cold or I'm feeling under the weather I have a wog but if I refer to a person as a wog in a derogatory way then that's not fine.

Not so long ago my 25 year old granddaughter refered to herself an an abo and I nearly fell off my chair with shock. She said look here grandma that's what I am and I'm proud of it. That's just her perception of the word, abo means aborinal end of.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BayWhale
It all boils down to personal perception of words. To me a gollywog is nothing but a toy doll or a little paper doll in a jar of jam, that's the way I was brought up. I may have grown up in the 50's in the UK but NEVER did I think of it as anything else. Maybe it's different in America, I imagine it is, but I'm not an american so wouldn't really know.

It also depends on the way words are used and the context in which they are spoken. If I have a cold or I'm feeling under the weather I have a wog but if I refer to a person as a wog in a derogatory way then that's not fine.

Not so long ago my 25 year old granddaughter refered to herself an an abo and I nearly fell off my chair with shock. She said look here grandma that's what I am and I'm proud of it. That's just her perception of the word, abo means aborinal end of.
Couldn't agree more
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BayWhale
Is your daugher an Aboriginal Australia though?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:54 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

My nephew has an ASBO, is this close enough?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

Is your daugher an Aboriginal Australia though?
No my daughter is an australian with an english mum and dad (that's me and my lad). My granddaughter has an australian aboriginal father.

Last edited by BayWhale; Jan 21st 2010 at 2:02 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

American blacks often refer to each other as N***ERS. I'm pretty sure it won't go down well used by white people though.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

It would seem that wog isn't as unoffensive here as some claim.....

As an ethnic reference in Australian English

Wog is also an ethnic slur in Australian English to denote immigrants of predominately southern European, eastern European and over later decades, Middle Eastern origin.
The "ethnic" character of the term "wog" came into popular use in the 1950s when Australia accepted large numbers of immigrants from Southern and Eastern European countries, in contrast to the then overwhelmingly dominant British-descended white Australian stock of the population. Although originally used pejoratively, the term is increasingly used more affectionately, especially by the individuals the term is used to describe.
Later, the term was extended to refer to new generations of immigrants from Middle eastern countries. In contemporary Australian society, it is often used to identify people of Mediterranean ancestry.
The term "wogball" refers to soccer (association football), coming from its popularity among such people. Australians of non-Mediterranean/continental European ancestry traditionally favour the games of Rugby football and Australian Rules, although this is a generalisation.
The term was often used in popular Australian comedy Kingswood Country between 1979-84 and was used in a sense that was sometimes pejorative, sometimes affectionate and sometimes neutral.
The word was prominently used in the popular early 1990s stage show Wogs Out of Work, created by Greek-Australian Nick Giannopoulos and Spanish-Australian Simon Palomares. The production was followed on television with Acropolis Now, starring Giannopoulos, Palomares, George Kapiniaris and Mary Coustas, and in film with The Wog Boy.
Nevertheless, the term remains quite offensive to many people in Australia, particularly people of Southeastern European and Eastern European origin who grew up in Australia through the 1950s to 1980s as it was still very much an ethnic slur or insult.
The derogatory nature of the term when used as an ethnic slur largely succeeded in overtaking and driving out use of the term 'wog' to describe illness or undesirable insects.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:21 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

It would seem that wog isn't as unoffensive here as some claim.....

As an ethnic reference in Australian English

Wog is also an ethnic slur in Australian English to denote immigrants of predominately southern European, eastern European and over later decades, Middle Eastern origin.
The "ethnic" character of the term "wog" came into popular use in the 1950s when Australia accepted large numbers of immigrants from Southern and Eastern European countries, in contrast to the then overwhelmingly dominant British-descended white Australian stock of the population. Although originally used pejoratively, the term is increasingly used more affectionately, especially by the individuals the term is used to describe.
Later, the term was extended to refer to new generations of immigrants from Middle eastern countries. In contemporary Australian society, it is often used to identify people of Mediterranean ancestry.
The term "wogball" refers to soccer (association football), coming from its popularity among such people. Australians of non-Mediterranean/continental European ancestry traditionally favour the games of Rugby football and Australian Rules, although this is a generalisation.
The term was often used in popular Australian comedy Kingswood Country between 1979-84 and was used in a sense that was sometimes pejorative, sometimes affectionate and sometimes neutral.
The word was prominently used in the popular early 1990s stage show Wogs Out of Work, created by Greek-Australian Nick Giannopoulos and Spanish-Australian Simon Palomares. The production was followed on television with Acropolis Now, starring Giannopoulos, Palomares, George Kapiniaris and Mary Coustas, and in film with The Wog Boy.
Nevertheless, the term remains quite offensive to many people in Australia, particularly people of Southeastern European and Eastern European origin who grew up in Australia through the 1950s to 1980s as it was still very much an ethnic slur or insult.
The derogatory nature of the term when used as an ethnic slur largely succeeded in overtaking and driving out use of the term 'wog' to describe illness or undesirable insects.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

I've just read through my first post 'which no-one quoted in full' and am a bit bemused as to why so many people jumped down my throat, I thought it pretty fair.

However, I bow to popular opinion, and vow that from now on I will not use racist terms such as Afro-Caribbean (I will find out which one they originate from and not lump them in together)

I will no longer use the term Aboriginal, unless preceded by the country of origin, as Aboriginal is a generic term for indigenous peoples

I will no longer use the term American Indian, as the indigenous American people were only called Indians because Columbus was lost

I call upon my far more racially aware forum colleagues to help me honour my vows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.