Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Wikiposts

Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I grew up in the UK too, and the jam jar gollywogs have been considered if not racist, shall we say 'off' for a long time.
only by the people who have been beaten by the PC stick
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:01 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
only by the people who have been beaten by the PC stick
I strongly agree.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:27 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

australian country singer John Williamson :

He took the opportunity to damn any suggestion of Australia being a racist country.

"This idea of Australia being racist is ridiculous," he said.

"Aussies, whether you're black, white or newcomers to this country . . . if you fall in love with the land itself, that will bring us together and that's what I've always sung about."
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethR will become famous soon enoughElizabethR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kporte
Racist? Honestly if you don't see this as racist........

Sorry I don't see this as racist. Maybe I have lived here to long , but if pc goes that far (golly wogs) then I am glad that I have lived here too long.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethR will become famous soon enoughElizabethR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DibDob
Exactly!

Secondly not only "black people" would buy a black doll, i would buy a child a black doll because there are white and black people in this universe
YES
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:45 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
A wise entertainer

Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:51 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethR

Sorry I don't see this as racist. Maybe I have lived here to long , but if pc goes that far (golly wogs) then I am glad that I have lived here too long.
I take it you are white?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulry
I love this one . I recently posted this to my face book page for Australia Day
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:01 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
Pass the sick bag.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I take it you are white?
Yes indeed. What difference does it make? . All white dolls are hardly the real world.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:08 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed. What difference does it make? . All white dolls are hardly the real world.
It's easy not to be offended by a "Golliwog" when you are white.

It's not the doll itself that is the problem. It's the connotation and the fact that the word "Golliwog" was used as a racist slur from the 1950s onward.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy dolls that look like black people but golliwoggs don't look like black people - they look like blackface minstrels - they are not meant to look like black people, they are meant to look like blackface. They may have been innocently copied from blackface but that is still their origin.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
You can buy dolls that look like black people but golliwoggs don't look like black people - they look like blackface minstrels - they are not meant to look like black people, they are meant to look like blackface. They may have been innocently copied from blackface but that is still their origin.
Yes fair point,for me totally innocent I haven't got an hidden racist agenda.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
It's easy not to be offended by a "Golliwog" when you are white.

It's not the doll itself that is the problem. It's the connotation and the fact that the word "Golliwog" was used as a racist slur from the 1950s onward.
Was "Golliwog" used as a racist slur in the UK during the 50's? I know that in the USA it is different. Just interested.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

kooga is on a distinguished road

Was "Golliwog" used as a racist slur in the UK during the 50's? I know that in the USA it is different. Just interested.
Is a slur for dark skinned people, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.