Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Wikiposts

Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:04 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
What IS it with you and apostrophe's
They are my fetish.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:27 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
They are my fetish.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Racist? Honestly if you don't see this as racist........
It's purely a physical thing. What's wrong with celebrating the black form? Is a cabbage patch doll racist too? Or a Barbie doll?

Can understand any connotation that might have built up around it - but a doll?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:55 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Is a cabbage patch doll racist too?
Yes, I'm afraid they are. I had one that was distinctly racist against one of my Sylvanian Family members.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by physiomitch
As a South Africa and having been brought up by British parents and witnessed all the changes in SA, can I please comment:

To me racism means hate, and this is a very strong feeling. Just because someone does not like someone else and because he is another colour, does not indicate racism. In South Africa when the new government came into power, we did not see Blacks and Indians and Coloureds move into the white areas, because they prefer to live within a comfort zone of people they know and understand. This can be seen all over the world. Different race groups tend to live like with like, it is a matter of nature...you don,t see lions living in the same area as cheetas, even though they are both wild cats. All humans have their own way of doing things, and if the problem is ever to be solved, which might be unnatural...don't mean to be pessimistic...then it is a matter of everyone accepting each other as different, and concentrate on making oneself better, rather than trying to make everyone else the same.

I have always felt that human nature tends towards the lowest common denominator, and it is every individual's task to improve themselves first, and allow others to follow. Australia is no more racist than any country where more than one race of humans live, just stand up for yourself and believe in who and what you are, and don't react...ignorance is bliss when it comes to ignoring someone who is trying to be racist towards you.

On the other hand, if you pull the racist card when youget blamed for poor work or doing something that offends other people, then you are just as much to blame for stirring the racism pot..rather take a good look at yourself and assess the situation, and then make an informed decision.

We are all different, we just need to accept that and keep smiling, because we could be living in the UK!!!
Enjoyed reading your post,shame you ruined it by the last sentence.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
Yes, I'm afraid they are. I had one that was distinctly racist against one of my Sylvanian Family members.
hmmm.I want to be clear on this one. I can understand why they might be banned against the backdrop of the overall, wider issue.

But I can't see why I should be asked to reflect on the physical form itself and consider it racist. I look at it and see a black person. To say that is racist is even more demeaning.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

It's purely a physical thing. What's wrong with celebrating the black form? Is a cabbage patch doll racist too? Or a Barbie doll?

Can understand any connotation that might have built up around it - but a doll?
It's the history of it. It was designed as an insult to blacks. No question of this.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Enjoyed reading your post,shame you ruined it by the last sentence.
Definitely the last sentence(!)
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's the history of it. It was designed as an insult to blacks. No question of this.
Yes, but see my subsequent point. You asked me to look on the physical artifact itself.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:52 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

A golliwog is black. A raggedy ann is ginger. Golliwog has been used as a racist term since the 50's/60's.
But where is it a racist term? I had never heard the term until I started reading this thread. What's unacceptable in one country might have a completely different meaning in another.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

Yes, but see my subsequent point. You asked me to look on the physical artifact itself.
It is to be blunt, a caricature of a n***er. That and the time it was created makes it possibly the most racist symbol outside of a KKK outfit.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is to be blunt, a caricature of a n***er. That and the time it was created makes it possibly the most racist symbol outside of a KKK outfit.
Shame. A barbie doll is a caricature of a rare white woman. Understand your second point. To be honest, if one turned up in a charity shop and my daughter wanted it - I would buy it and be very clear in a sort of rarified manner that I was pleased that she was being inclusive - or some such other nonsense - howsyour father.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Shame. Understand your second point. To be honest, if one turned up in a charity shop and my daughter wanted it - I would buy it and be very clear in a sort of rarified manner that I was pleased that she was being inclusive - or some such other nonsense - howsyour father.
I also understand your point about you simply seeing a black person.
The problem is the golly is based on a minstrel. A white person blacked up with the sole intention of making fun of black people. This is where the historical context is important.
I also believe that the presence of these here does not denote racism. Again it is simply ignorance. People need to be aware of what this sort of thing represents though.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

A golliwog is black. A raggedy ann is ginger. Golliwog has been used as a racist term since the 50's/60's.

I don't think you are allowed to use the word ginger anymore
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:52 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I don't think you are allowed to use the word ginger anymore
Really? Should I have said 'Autumnal Brown'? Or perhaps 'African Sunset'?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.