Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Wikiposts

Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:40 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I worry about my kids hearing shit like that at school - we have done a very good job at bringing them up with complete tolerance and they would not understand those words
You don't have much control over that. You can only do your bit. I know I was exposed to loads of racism growing up but I'm not racist.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:46 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
You don't have much control over that. You can only do your bit. I know I was exposed to loads of racism growing up but I'm not racist.
I really can't remember being in a situation where I was exposed to racism, but I did go to a high school in the west end where there were lots of cultures, it was a non denominational academy for the rich kids ( no I was far from a rich kid, just that I was in the catchment area and there was nothing the ****ers could do about it ).

Now if you are talking religious bigotry - that's a different ballgame.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:48 am
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

This is why Australias is being called racist.

What is happening to Indian students in Australia? Why have they been mugged, knifed, set alight, and murdered, mostly, in Melbourne, Australia's proud multi-racial melting pot city where, according to my colleague Nick Bryant, people from 140 nations live side-by-side?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport..._australi.html
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Neil52
This is why Australias is being called racist.

What is happening to Indian students in Australia? Why have they been mugged, knifed, set alight, and murdered, mostly, in Melbourne, Australia's proud multi-racial melting pot city where, according to my colleague Nick Bryant, people from 140 nations live side-by-side?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport..._australi.html
It seems the key point being made is lack of communication/information. I'd agree. If it is racially motivated it needs investigated and dealt with. If it isn't, the same still applies. They need to move on this much more urgently than they appear to be.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

kooga is on a distinguished road

Australia already has laws in place to combat these problems, whether they are being implemented is another thing
http://www.hreoc.gov.au/racial_discr...rda/index.html
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:59 am
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

It seems the key point being made is lack of communication/information. I'd agree. If it is racially motivated it needs investigated and dealt with. If it isn't, the same still applies. They need to move on this much more urgently than they appear to be.
In the article...Melbourne is the most racist city of all. An Indian newspaper cartoon even portrayed the Australian police as the Ku Klux Klan.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:03 am
Account Closed

In the article...Melbourne is the most racist city of all. An Indian newspaper cartoon even portrayed the Australian police as the Ku Klux Klan.
That should help. The KKK lynched people regularly and set burning crosses on lawns.... Don't forget that India itself is plagued with race and class bigotry.
We need sensible dialogue on this, not histrionics.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:09 am
Banned

That should help. The KKK lynched people regularly and set burning crosses on lawns.... Don't forget that India itself is plagued with race and class bigotry.
We need sensible dialogue on this, not histrionics.
Just trying to show how some people outside of Oz pereceive the Australia people.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:12 am
Account Closed

Just trying to show how some people outside of Oz pereceive the Australia people.
Sure. That's what amazes me, tourism and student intake are both important to Aus. You'd think they would be doing more on this issue than playing it down.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

physiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant future

As a South Africa and having been brought up by British parents and witnessed all the changes in SA, can I please comment:

To me racism means hate, and this is a very strong feeling. Just because someone does not like someone else and because he is another colour, does not indicate racism. In South Africa when the new government came into power, we did not see Blacks and Indians and Coloureds move into the white areas, because they prefer to live within a comfort zone of people they know and understand. This can be seen all over the world. Different race groups tend to live like with like, it is a matter of nature...you don,t see lions living in the same area as cheetas, even though they are both wild cats. All humans have their own way of doing things, and if the problem is ever to be solved, which might be unnatural...don't mean to be pessimistic...then it is a matter of everyone accepting each other as different, and concentrate on making oneself better, rather than trying to make everyone else the same.

I have always felt that human nature tends towards the lowest common denominator, and it is every individual's task to improve themselves first, and allow others to follow. Australia is no more racist than any country where more than one race of humans live, just stand up for yourself and believe in who and what you are, and don't react...ignorance is bliss when it comes to ignoring someone who is trying to be racist towards you.

On the other hand, if you pull the racist card when youget blamed for poor work or doing something that offends other people, then you are just as much to blame for stirring the racism pot..rather take a good look at yourself and assess the situation, and then make an informed decision.

We are all different, we just need to accept that and keep smiling, because we could be living in the UK!!!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by physiomitch
As a South Africa and having been brought up by British parents and witnessed all the changes in SA, can I please comment:

To me racism means hate, and this is a very strong feeling. Just because someone does not like someone else and because he is another colour, does not indicate racism. In South Africa when the new government came into power, we did not see Blacks and Indians and Coloureds move into the white areas, because they prefer to live within a comfort zone of people they know and understand. This can be seen all over the world. Different race groups tend to live like with like, it is a matter of nature...you don,t see lions living in the same area as cheetas, even though they are both wild cats. All humans have their own way of doing things, and if the problem is ever to be solved, which might be unnatural...don't mean to be pessimistic...then it is a matter of everyone accepting each other as different, and concentrate on making oneself better, rather than trying to make everyone else the same.

I have always felt that human nature tends towards the lowest common denominator, and it is every individual's task to improve themselves first, and allow others to follow. Australia is no more racist than any country where more than one race of humans live, just stand up for yourself and believe in who and what you are, and don't react...ignorance is bliss when it comes to ignoring someone who is trying to be racist towards you.

On the other hand, if you pull the racist card when youget blamed for poor work or doing something that offends other people, then you are just as much to blame for stirring the racism pot..rather take a good look at yourself and assess the situation, and then make an informed decision.

We are all different, we just need to accept that and keep smiling, because we could be living in the UK!!!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:30 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I couldn't agree more Scottishcelts.

Aussies on the whole ARE racist, end of...............
any more pearls of wisdom?? Africans are corrupt? Americans are drug addicts?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:46 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I think I stopped using words like this which were normal in my life, around 13. I often wonder how many racists are actually racists or just regurgitating stuff they were brought up with... We will never get rid of it but we have to try to lessen it. My point about here is that it is still in the open, in Britain I think a lot has been driven underground.
That's why the government here has to act, I genuinely think it would be easier to deal with here because of that, but they need to admit it and work to fixing it.
Excellent post Kporte and reflects exactly my feelings and what I have been so uneloquently trying to put forward all along
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I used to save those tokens from Robinsons products.

Years ago I saved enough for a complete football team of golliwogs. Cheapo plaster of paris things each about 2 inches high.

Sold them for 60 quid on eBay when I emigrated.
Did you pass the buyer's address on to the local police...

A wog in Australia is a cold. Only goes to show..

I accept the position as Ambassador - unpaid. I do have some very large expenses I will be claiming in respect of the position though..

Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:15 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
any more pearls of wisdom?? Africans are corrupt? Americans are drug addicts?
More Pearls of Wisdom? How about these:

Pommy Bastards, Wogs, Abo's, Slope Heads, Curry Munchers, Septics, Nips, can't think of any more at the moment, but these are terms I heard living in Australia.....never even heard of most of them before I went there.............and I made sure I brought my kids up never to speak like this.

I don't suppose anybody wonders what the recipients think about these so called "matey terms of endearment"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.