Selfless acts.

Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Selfless acts.

Reading this thread made me realise how selfish I was some years ago, when I thought I was being helpful.

I did 3 months full time volunteer work for the Blind Society, but left them when they offered me a paid position as the accountant.

I now realise that I did it for my own satisfaction, and I ditched them when they decided to change the rules on me, by offering me money for what I was doing.

Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kporte
Seriously, I am in awe of the camaraderie and bravery that makes people do this but surely you have to have something missing in your make-up? Is it the intensity of the bond in training or some misguided notion of honour?
I am not putting down the brave men who go to fight, my father fought in WW2, I just can't comprehend.....
I don't understand it but I've been told that when you are living, working and training with your mates and then in war it is very intense. You make strong bonds and lifelong friends. I suppose that's why it is so hard for many who then hit civvie street.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

That's kind of my point. Even an act not motivated by any desire to benefit will lead to you feeling good and stopping it from being selfless. Don't get me wrong, I wish everyone was like that
I didn't do it to be thanked, or to make myself feel good- even if no one had thanked me I still would have done it.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 4:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I didn't do it to be thanked, or to make myself feel good- even if no one had thanked me I still would have done it.
If you had found $40 on the floor would you have handed that in? Just wondering because I too would have handed in the gift cards but not so sure about actual notes of the same amount.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:05 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any such thing? You can give to charity, but less face it, it will salve your conscience and make you feel better. Does every act we carry out as humans have a root in what we want or need as individuals?
Your thirst for knowledge is, it seems, unquenchable grasshopper?
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Things like opening doors, handing in lost stuff I don't class as selfless acts. More like good manners really.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Reading this thread made me realise how selfish I was some years ago, when I thought I was being helpful.

I did 3 months full time volunteer work for the Blind Society, but left them when they offered me a paid position as the accountant.

I now realise that I did it for my own satisfaction, and I ditched them when they decided to change the rules on me, by offering me money for what I was doing.
You're not the first. Some studies have shown that people give far more when they are not being paid. As soon as you offer a small sum of money it changes the nature of the transaction and far less people would do it. One example was lawyers doing pro-bono work. When offered some pay they dropped out of the program in large numbers.

Maybe the small amount of money removes the payback of feeling good?

Don't "they" also say that volunteers are consistently the happiest people in society - though maybe more people who are already content in the first place volunteer?

One person who I think does selfless acts is my wife. She is just a good person who thinks about others and really does not seem to do it to get payback for herself....bless her....she makes me sick
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If you had found $40 on the floor would you have handed that in? Just wondering because I too would have handed in the gift cards but not so sure about actual notes of the same amount.
Yes I would have handed it in. I've handed in money before. Just something I have done since a child- though obviously not if it is just a coin, then I put it in charity.
When I was about 6 I found a wad of notes, and handed them into the police. They said I'd get a reward, but I never did. Didn't change my behaviour.