Selfless acts.

Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:28 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selfless acts.

Is there any such thing? You can give to charity, but less face it, it will salve your conscience and make you feel better. Does every act we carry out as humans have a root in what we want or need as individuals?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selfless acts.

Originally Posted by kporte
Is there any such thing? You can give to charity, but less face it, it will salve your conscience and make you feel better. Does every act we carry out as humans have a root in what we want or need as individuals?
I don't think there is. Whilst you may think you are doing a selfless act, at some deep point you are doing it for altruistic reasons however good they may be. In my opinion obviously. Whilst you have the Mother Theresa's of this world, even they are doing things because a) god has asked them to or b) because helping others also helps them. I'm sure Mother Theresa was a very special person but for the vast majority of people, selfless doesn't exist.

Does that make me bitter and twisted?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Throwing yourself on a live grenade to shield the blast from others.

You are more than likely going to die. You will probably get medals/awards and be well known...but you're dead.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Brav

You are more than likely going to die. You will probably get medals/awards and be well known...but you're dead.
But what is your impetus for doing it? Insanity or a desire to be regarded a hero? That type of act is impulsive and no one can know what is going through the head of the person involved.....I think the heat of battle is an exceptional circumstance, possibly excluding it from normal behaviour?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brav

Is it common practice though or more of a 'Hollywood' scenario?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:24 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Is it common practice though or more of a 'Hollywood' scenario?
To my knowledge its only happened once in the British Army. WWI and the man was awarded the VC. Regretfully I cannot remember the mans name.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
To my knowledge its only happened once in the British Army. WWI and the man was awarded the VC. Regretfully I cannot remember the mans name.

Its happened more than once in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Its happened more than once in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Seriously, I am in awe of the camaraderie and bravery that makes people do this but surely you have to have something missing in your make-up? Is it the intensity of the bond in training or some misguided notion of honour?
I am not putting down the brave men who go to fight, my father fought in WW2, I just can't comprehend.....
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I think that sometimes we do things for our own sense of self-worth but when we make spur of the moment good gestures I think these are more selfless good acts.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I think that sometimes we do things for our own sense of self-worth but when we make spur of the moment good gestures I think these are more selfless good acts.
But then you feel good for having done the act so does that negate the selflessness?

Edit: SC, Moi? Cutting? I'm beyond hurt

Last edited by moneypenny20; Dec 20th 2009 at 11:33 am.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:32 am
Account Closed

I've thought back through my life and surprised myself that I have performed many acts of kindness. On reflection, all made me feel good about myself with one exception. I was going home from a good night out in Edinburgh and I passed one of the many groups of homeless around, outside the Playhouse at Picardy Place. One guy looked so cold and hungry, I went to the chippy across the road and bought him a fish and chips. I took it back and handed it to him and he threw it in my face shouting, " You could have given me the 5 quid you c***!!"
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:40 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
Seriously, I am in awe of the camaraderie and bravery that makes people do this but surely you have to have something missing in your make-up? Is it the intensity of the bond in training or some misguided notion of honour?
I am not putting down the brave men who go to fight, my father fought in WW2, I just can't comprehend.....
It's because most soldiers are young and 'indestructible'. We cannot comprehend are own mortality, even if we see death around us. It will always be 'somebody else'. After a while that belief fades... you know it could be you.. that's when it becomes harder to go out to fight.

How men in major conflicts, WWI in particular, handled that is difficult to understand without actually being there. My guess would be that you either struggle with it, a lot, to the extent that it impacts on your abilities... or you become blase about it... you put it to one side.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Lance Corporal Matt Croucher did it recently, but survived. Good uniforms these days.

William Frederick McFadzean was one in WW1

There was another in similar circumstances in NI in the 1970's, from where the poem/song "Soldier" came from.

Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
But then you feel good for having done the act so does that negate the selflessness?

No, because when you did the good deed, you genuinely were not thinking of self therefore it was selfless!
Edit: SC, Moi? Cutting? I'm beyond hurt
Yes of course you are!
You could have returned the karma you know!
Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Yes of course you are!
You could have returned the karma you know!
I'd have had to spread too much and there's little out there worthy and by someone I can hit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.