Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Salt water chlorinator

Salt water chlorinator

Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Salt water chlorinator

Anyone know if you can test these to see if the cell is still producing chlorine?
During the winter the salt levels in the pool decreased to almost nothing, I added 3 bags of salt a month or so ago and super dosed the pool. This week the chlorine levels are really low again. Timer is set for 8 hours which is usual for this tme of year.

Cheers LL
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:39 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salt water chlorinator

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Anyone know if you can test these to see if the cell is still producing chlorine?
During the winter the salt levels in the pool decreased to almost nothing, I added 3 bags of salt a month or so ago and super dosed the pool. This week the chlorine levels are really low again. Timer is set for 8 hours which is usual for this tme of year.

Cheers LL
Cells might need cleaned. Your local pool shop may be able to test the cells for you (ours went the same but added about 4/5 bags before it all came good. Take a sample of water to the pool shop and see what readings your getting.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Cells might need cleaned. Your local pool shop may be able to test the cells for you (ours went the same but added about 4/5 bags before it all came good. Take a sample of water to the pool shop and see what readings your getting.

Cheers

Ginny
Agreed.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers LL
3 bags is not enough IMO. I did ours a few weeks ago and put in 6 bags (50kl capacity) and some chlorine shock and it's looking good.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers LL
Bizarre - I've got exactly the same problem. I've now put in 7 bags (35000l cap) and have to put additional chlorine in nearly every day.
Also, my salt reading sits at 50 (%?) when it should be 100.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies.

3 more bags of salt and 1 kg of stabiliser in today. I'll see how it goes.
The water is crystal clear despite the low chlorine levels.

Last edited by Loch Lomond; Nov 29th 2009 at 4:09 am. Reason: I can't spell
Old Nov 29th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

You can tell if the cell needs cleaning by just looking at it. If it's caked with white scale, take it off, plug one end and fill with a solution of 1 part pool acid to 10 parts water. Let it sit for about half an hour and hose out. Job done + plenty of chlorine.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:10 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Most chlorinators work between 0.05/0.07% salt levels in the pool .....thats about 5000 part per million/7000parts per million.
it should have this info on the unit somewhere.
You should be able to see when operating.....chlorine gases comming OFF the cell.
If the cell is white in colour , this means you'll have to acid wash the cell!
Most common thing i come across is that people put far too much salt in the pool.....this can damage the cell.

ALL THE BEST PLUMB
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

The cell I have is self cleaning, so can't judge from that.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:59 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Take the cell out and see if the fins are block with crap. if so it need cleaning.

To test, turn the pool values to off, get a bucket of pool water, put the cell in it ( keep the electical connections out of the water. Disconnect the pool pump. Turn on the chlorinator. You should be able to see bubbles from the cell if its working.

Or just take the cell to a pool shop and let them test it. Might the cell, or control box, or just a wire. I had a knacker cell, and blown circuit board in mine ;(
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:25 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the plumber
Most chlorinators work between 0.05/0.07% salt levels in the pool .....thats about 5000 part per million/7000parts per million.
it should have this info on the unit somewhere.
You should be able to see when operating.....chlorine gases comming OFF the cell.
If the cell is white in colour , this means you'll have to acid wash the cell!
Most common thing i come across is that people put far too much salt in the pool.....this can damage the cell.

ALL THE BEST PLUMB
Its 0.5 to 0.7% actually but your ppm levels are correct.
Also the bubbles you see are hydrogen not chlorine, the chlorine dissolves in the pool water to disinfect it.

For the OP, have a close look and see if you can see little gas bubbles, if so your cell should be ok.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers everyone I'll try that test