British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Salt water chlorinator (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/salt-water-chlorinator-642505/)

Loch Lomond Nov 28th 2009 7:27 am

Salt water chlorinator

Anyone know if you can test these to see if the cell is still producing chlorine?
During the winter the salt levels in the pool decreased to almost nothing, I added 3 bags of salt a month or so ago and super dosed the pool. This week the chlorine levels are really low again. Timer is set for 8 hours which is usual for this tme of year.

Cheers LL

Stitch Nov 28th 2009 7:39 am

Re: Salt water chlorinator

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond (Post 8130524)
Anyone know if you can test these to see if the cell is still producing chlorine?
During the winter the salt levels in the pool decreased to almost nothing, I added 3 bags of salt a month or so ago and super dosed the pool. This week the chlorine levels are really low again. Timer is set for 8 hours which is usual for this tme of year.

Cheers LL

Cells might need cleaned. Your local pool shop may be able to test the cells for you (ours went the same but added about 4/5 bags before it all came good. Take a sample of water to the pool shop and see what readings your getting.

Cheers

Ginny

moneypenny20 Nov 28th 2009 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Stitch (Post 8130537)
Cells might need cleaned. Your local pool shop may be able to test the cells for you (ours went the same but added about 4/5 bags before it all came good. Take a sample of water to the pool shop and see what readings your getting.

Cheers

Ginny

Agreed.

Amazulu Nov 28th 2009 12:01 pm

Cheers LL

3 bags is not enough IMO. I did ours a few weeks ago and put in 6 bags (50kl capacity) and some chlorine shock and it's looking good.

NKSK version 2 Nov 29th 2009 3:10 am

Cheers LL

Bizarre - I've got exactly the same problem. I've now put in 7 bags (35000l cap) and have to put additional chlorine in nearly every day.
Also, my salt reading sits at 50 (%?) when it should be 100.

Loch Lomond Nov 29th 2009 4:08 am

Thanks for the replies.

3 more bags of salt and 1 kg of stabiliser in today. I'll see how it goes.
The water is crystal clear despite the low chlorine levels.

Gibbo Nov 29th 2009 4:24 am

You can tell if the cell needs cleaning by just looking at it. If it's caked with white scale, take it off, plug one end and fill with a solution of 1 part pool acid to 10 parts water. Let it sit for about half an hour and hose out. Job done + plenty of chlorine.

the plumber Nov 29th 2009 5:10 am

Most chlorinators work between 0.05/0.07% salt levels in the pool .....thats about 5000 part per million/7000parts per million.
it should have this info on the unit somewhere.
You should be able to see when operating.....chlorine gases comming OFF the cell.
If the cell is white in colour , this means you'll have to acid wash the cell!
Most common thing i come across is that people put far too much salt in the pool.....this can damage the cell.

ALL THE BEST PLUMB

Loch Lomond Nov 29th 2009 8:47 am

The cell I have is self cleaning, so can't judge from that.

datamile Nov 29th 2009 9:59 am

Take the cell out and see if the fins are block with crap. if so it need cleaning.

To test, turn the pool values to off, get a bucket of pool water, put the cell in it ( keep the electical connections out of the water. Disconnect the pool pump. Turn on the chlorinator. You should be able to see bubbles from the cell if its working.

Or just take the cell to a pool shop and let them test it. Might the cell, or control box, or just a wire. I had a knacker cell, and blown circuit board in mine ;(

EvannTel Nov 29th 2009 10:25 am

Originally Posted by the plumber (Post 8132370)
Most chlorinators work between 0.05/0.07% salt levels in the pool .....thats about 5000 part per million/7000parts per million.
it should have this info on the unit somewhere.
You should be able to see when operating.....chlorine gases comming OFF the cell.
If the cell is white in colour , this means you'll have to acid wash the cell!
Most common thing i come across is that people put far too much salt in the pool.....this can damage the cell.

ALL THE BEST PLUMB

Its 0.5 to 0.7% actually but your ppm levels are correct.
Also the bubbles you see are hydrogen not chlorine, the chlorine dissolves in the pool water to disinfect it.

For the OP, have a close look and see if you can see little gas bubbles, if so your cell should be ok.

Loch Lomond Nov 29th 2009 11:30 am

Cheers everyone I'll try that test