Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

is it really that bad over in oz

Wikiposts

is it really that bad over in oz

Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it really that bad over in oz

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
People migrating from the UK, whose main knowledge is of the UK (wrong or right) will of course refer to UK stats.
....and the pro australian spinmeisters on this site will, no doubt, offer clarity?

Last edited by Grayling; Apr 9th 2009 at 7:00 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Now now children!
Does it really matter? It's unlikely that any government is truly honest with unemployment figures.
Our own experience in Aus is that it is so hard to register unemployed, I very much doubt if the figures are even vaguely accurate!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

kissfritz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
You have now asked this question several times! Are you suddenly expecting that we will all start saying that Aus is immune to the recession & all is hunkydory?
It is not easy unless you have a particular skill that is still truly in demand!
Do you?

Having read a lot of your other posts, you are a long way along the process & too far along to turn back, so stop worrying & just deal with it when you get here!
Wow, with your grumpy reply, so lacking in empathy, I'd almost mistake you for a born and bred Australian (said with love as I am married to one). Seriously however, I think sometimes it's easy to forgot what it was like when we were on our way or new in town and green as grass - give the poor beggars a break for cripes sake!!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kissfritz
Wow, with your grumpy reply, so lacking in empathy, I'd almost mistake you for a born and bred Australian (said with love as I am married to one). Seriously however, I think sometimes it's easy to forgot what it was like when we were on our way or new in town and green as grass - give the poor beggars a break for cripes sake!!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=scampie

I don't think it was grumpy but come on, the OP has posted the same question multiple times & it was a legitimate comment.
I have every empathy with the stress & anxieties associated with the move & most certainly have not forgotten what it was like.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I didn't think it was at all, mate. I think you are being paranoid and quick to somehow redress some sort of 'balance'. People migrating from the UK, whose main knowledge is of the UK (wrong or right) will of course refer to UK stats.
I think it was obvious - cooked too - in other words - reduced as well as being high.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:33 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Now now children!
Does it really matter? It's unlikely that any government is truly honest with unemployment figures.
Our own experience in Aus is that it is so hard to register unemployed, I very much doubt if the figures are even vaguely accurate!
Spot on!

If one partner is unemployed but the other earns over $500 per week, they recommend not bother even applying. In other words, the unemployed partner needn't even bother filing in the paperwork for unemployment benefit if his/her wife earns over $500.

So where are those figures of the unemployed partners who don't claim?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and the pro australian spinmeisters on this site will, no doubt, offer clarity?
I don't know. Why don't you ask them, or wait and see? If you are talking about ABCDiamond he just offers stats which are nothing but just that. Never seen him as a pro-Australian spinmaster - (although on a personal level, he has come to terms with his migration and seems happy).

The real issue is that you still see this as a pissing contest...
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I think it was obvious - cooked too - in other words - reduced as well as being high.
That was not in question - I thought. Remember my mother talking about it in the early 80s. Knock me down if it is not the same in Australia.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now now children!
Indeed..
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

kissfritz is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think it was grumpy but come on, the OP has posted the same question multiple times & it was a legitimate comment.
I have every empathy with the stress & anxieties associated with the move & most certainly have not forgotten what it was like.
mmmm ok then
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Spot on!

If one partner is unemployed but the other earns over $500 per week, they recommend not bother even applying. In other words, the unemployed partner needn't even bother filing in the paperwork for unemployment benefit if his/her wife earns over $500.

So where are those figures of the unemployed partners who don't claim?
This same question is asked at http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/un...loyment-in-uk/

To what extent do the official UK figures for unemployment accurately reflect economic reality ?
The JSA excludes many groups of people from claiming unemployment benefit, even though they are actively seeking work.
Examples include:
  • A husband or wife who’s partner is working and earning above a certain amount. i.e. JSA is means tested depending on a partner’s income.
  • People under 18 are not eligible - in theory they should be on training schemes
  • People over 55 are often excluded
Therefore, these factors suggest that some people who are actively seeking work are not counted as unemployed. This is because of the UK government’s methods in calculating unemployment.

Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough

I have to agree this is what I first thought too re the same question.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Petals
RSG and RSA are ok if you are 17 and they will give you a go, but otherwise you need experience in these things too to get a foothold. You also need to take them in the State you are to live in as they do not traverse boarders of States here.

My daughter works in a Gaming Room casual and its "casual" sometimes she gets 1 shift a week and sometimes 3. She has another job casual as well in an office so it ticks her over as she is at university and she lives at home.

Hospitality and Gaming is a favourite with students.

So if you have not worked in a bar but want to get a job now and get some experience under your belt.
Hi
I have been working behind the bar and done part time waitressing since I was 18 right through til about 5 years ago, part time evenings/weekends etc., so I do have the experience as well.
Thanks for the advice.
I also have experience in care work and I have been advised to do the First Aid course when I get there as there can be a fair bit of casual work in that area too.
As I say, study will be my first priority when I get there and when I am up to speed with Aussie Tax and Company Law I can look for more fulltime work.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:07 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Oh I've absolutely no doubt the UK is the same. All politicians want a *favorable* result - & they all pee in the same pot
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Oh I've absolutely no doubt the UK is the same. All politicians want a *favorable* result - & they all pee in the same pot
Where is this pot and who has to reach the furthest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.