Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

is it really that bad over in oz

is it really that bad over in oz

Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

scampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant futurescampie has a brilliant future
Default is it really that bad over in oz

we have been waiting for two years and have now sold. worried that a lot of you are trying to make it sound bad . is it as bad as the uk over there in regards to employment.? we are getting worried
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future
Default Re: is it really that bad over in oz

At the end of the day it depends what you do and where you want to do it.

There are jobs in many sectors but the competition is fierce.

I am a Financial Controller currently in Melbourne and each of the jobs I am applying for has 80 - 100 applicants. Without Aussie experience I am finding it difficult to get my foot in the door but it's early days yet (4 weeks) and I only need one employer to give me a chance.

Like many of the posts say, there are skills shortages (mine is on the CSL) and a job will come along eventually but you have to be prepared to sit it out and be able to afford to do that financially.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future

Hiya
I am an ACCA qualified accountant in Bournemouth, experience in practice, commerce and industry.
I am planning the big move early July.
I know that I have to study Australian Tax and Company Law through the Open Uni Australia from end Aug-Nov and planned on maybe trying to get some part time work for that period to begin with, hopefully in accounting, but would do anything eg barwork or whatever.
I have also been told that there is more opportunity within the interim/contract market for accountants over there , which I would quite like to do from Nov onwards as it's be good experience etc.
I am planning on going to Brisbane- you seem to be on the pulse about the general market conditions in accountancy over there-what is your feeling about my chances?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampie
we have been waiting for two years and have now sold. worried that a lot of you are trying to make it sound bad . is it as bad as the uk over there in regards to employment.? we are getting worried
Yes. Yes it is.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annamichelle2310
planned on maybe trying to get some part time work for that period to begin with, hopefully in accounting, but would do anything eg barwork or whatever.
How are you planning to do that? You need to do a certificate course in order to be able to tend bar here. And don't fool yourself that part time "anything to tide me over" work is easy to get. Take a read of the several threads lately discussing this same topic.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

It's getting very similar to the UK in WA
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes. Yes it is.
Hi
I'll be studying until November anyway, so anything part time would help although not a necessity.
I've already booked on my RSA and RSG courses for when I get there!
What's your occupation and what have you found?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You have now asked this question several times! Are you suddenly expecting that we will all start saying that Aus is immune to the recession & all is hunkydory?
It is not easy unless you have a particular skill that is still truly in demand!
Do you?

Having read a lot of your other posts, you are a long way along the process & too far along to turn back, so stop worrying & just deal with it when you get here!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 4:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How are you planning to do that? You need to do a certificate course in order to be able to tend bar here.
RSA's hardly a post-doctorate grade course though is it. Three hours in the local bowling club being told OH&S regulations and that you're not to serve pissed people - and off you go. And if I've learnt one thing in my life, it's that there's always work for bar staff, hairdressers and undertakers.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
You have now asked this question several times! Are you suddenly expecting that we will all start saying that Aus is immune to the recession & all is hunkydory?
It is not easy unless you have a particular skill that is still truly in demand!
Do you?

Having read a lot of your other posts, you are a long way along the process & too far along to turn back, so stop worrying & just deal with it when you get here!
Are you asking me or Scampie?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hutch
RSA's hardly a post-doctorate grade course though is it. Three hours in the local bowling club being told OH&S regulations and that you're not to serve pissed people - and off you go. And if I've learnt one thing in my life, it's that there's always work for bar staff, hairdressers and undertakers.
That's true! And I kind of think, the more strings to my bow the more chances I have got!
I'm not planning on full time perm work until after November when I am up to speed on Tax and Law thorugh Open Uni so I figured that could be the way to go for a bit of casual work.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

RSG and RSA are ok if you are 17 and they will give you a go, but otherwise you need experience in these things too to get a foothold. You also need to take them in the State you are to live in as they do not traverse boarders of States here.

My daughter works in a Gaming Room casual and its "casual" sometimes she gets 1 shift a week and sometimes 3. She has another job casual as well in an office so it ticks her over as she is at university and she lives at home.

Hospitality and Gaming is a favourite with students.

So if you have not worked in a bar but want to get a job now and get some experience under your belt.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:55 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of casual bar work where we live (still signs in the windows)

Still plenty of work in both perm and temp accounting and IT work BUT
the main reason for 80 to 100 applying for each job is alot of companies have let go of "deadwood" or what is now being termed "driftwood". During the good times companies just needed bums on seats and now those seats are accountable they are out.

What this in fact means is if you are good at what you do you will find work. Try to block out the fact that huge numbers are out of work because it does in fact mean nothing when they are not real competition to you.

Based on Melbourne market not sure about other states
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Plenty of casual bar work where we live (still signs in the windows)

Still plenty of work in both perm and temp accounting and IT work BUT
the main reason for 80 to 100 applying for each job is alot of companies have let go of "deadwood" or what is now being termed "driftwood". During the good times companies just needed bums on seats and now those seats are accountable they are out.

What this in fact means is if you are good at what you do you will find work. Try to block out the fact that huge numbers are out of work because it does in fact mean nothing when they are not real competition to you.

Based on Melbourne market not sure about other states
Geelong, you are truely fab!

There are many on here who are at halfway house, us included. We did a reccie, liked what we saw and made a (difficult) decision to make the move. Since that decision it has all gone tits up to coin a phrase! I am still in employment in the UK and am reluctant to give up another income just yet, although my income is a drop in the ocean to what we were used to. My OH lands in Oz (Melbourne) next Thursday. I read these forums, he doesn't but I can't help but relay to him the gloom portrayed.

Now he may be as terrified as I am but he ain't showing it. His attitude is don't look back, look forward, what's done is done. We can support ourselves for a couple of years without employment without selling the house so are lucky in that respect. But still, I have an 18 year old an 10 year old and I don't want to get it wrong.

So he is going to try to find employment and has given himself 6-9 months to search the job market meanwhile I will carry on here so that there is still something (albeit no job)to come back to if necessary. The fact is we are too far forward not to give it a go as I suspect many on here are. It is the most stressful situation I have ever found myself in.

Your post makes me have a bit more faith that we aren't completely bonkers and makes a refreshing change to the 'don't even contemplate coming under any circumstances' no matter how well meaning these posts are and I know that the majority are. But to some it's just too late.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Having been involved in the interviewing process before (IT positions) I can pretty much confirm the deadwood theory. Back in the UK we would get 50-100 CVs through for a role of which maybe 10 would actually be suitable. Then we'd interview them and out of 10 you'd be lucky to get 1-2 that would be good enough to do the job, or that you'd actually want to work with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.