Wikiposts

Is this for real?

Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is this for real?

Originally Posted by Bix
The court case at the centre of this started in Cairns today and is expected to last for 2 days.

The local news is not exactly hot on facts but from what we are told so far....

The lad's sister in Ukraine sent him pills which they used to terminate the pregnancy.

Therefore both are on trial. Him as supplier and her as user.

Can't see any result other than negative for them as a judge makes his ruling on law and that says a crime has been committed.

The law (I understand) is non surgical abortion is illegal.
Thank god the jury saw sense on this one, they have been found not guilty abortion although yes on the odd occasion is used as contraception for most woman, and some men!! it is never and easy option,

I think that it is ridiculous that it is illegal in any country or state but that is just my opinion!!!!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:23 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I know we are all entitled to our own opinion but I am shocked that anyone would think that the rights of an unborn child should supercede that of the mother.

Sometimes contraception does fail, sometimes people are careless - whatever the reason, the effects of forcing someone to carry a child against their will could be devastating.

I might not agree with abortion being used as contraception but at what point does the doctor take over the womans body and her choice, and what would happen if the woman forced to go through this, decided not to look after herself, not to eat properly, drank copious amounts of alcohol or even smoked in pregnancy, what happens then?

Someone who would desperately love to carry their own child and managed to get pregnant would probably (or one would hope) not take stupid risks with her body and health and inflict her bad habits on her child and treat her body as well as she would treat the baby once it is born.

But in the event of forced child bearing, - who would enforce the health of the unborn child then?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:16 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

There's so many variables in this that it's easy to appear ambiguous and/or contradictory. For some the shock of discovering that they're pregnant can trigger irrational, spontaneous and ill-thought out decisions. It's counter productive if a person is forced to see the pregnancy through full term and along the way self-harms, takes it out on the new born or raises the child neglectfully.

Regardless of the law the bottom line is it's the mother who has last say but one would hope that her decision is based at least as much on the unborn child's welfare as her own. Counselling will help her to arrive at the right decision. My own preference would be to see a reluctant mother turn a negative into a positive by transforming their "accident" into a gift of life firstly to the unborn child and then to a childless couple desperate to adopt.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:51 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
There's so many variables in this that it's easy to appear ambiguous and/or contradictory. For some the shock of discovering that they're pregnant can trigger irrational, spontaneous and ill-thought out decisions. It's counter productive if a person is forced to see the pregnancy through full term and along the way self-harms, takes it out on the new born or raises the child neglectfully.

Regardless of the law the bottom line is it's the mother who has last say but one would hope that her decision is based at least as much on the unborn child's welfare as her own. Counselling will help her to arrive at the right decision. My own preference would be to see a reluctant mother turn a negative into a positive by transforming their "accident" into a gift of life firstly to the unborn child and then to a childless couple desperate to adopt.
Are you by any chance brainwashed by a certain religion based in rome?

You must be right?

Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:10 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pro-choice, I've known several woman that have had abortions, none of them were for rape or life-threatening conditions - they just realized that they were not prepared for having a child.

Two were too young, typical mistakes with contraception and both were not old enough or established enough to become parents (they would doubtless have ended up being lambasted as single mothers in council accommodation).

One was in her late 20's, contraception mistake, but her partner was not a good one and she was not well established enough (financially, support network, etc).

One was in her mid 30's, married with 2 kids already, just decided that 2 was all they could manage.

I think it all depends upon whether you think "life" starts at conception or at a later stage. I suspect that, like many social issues, ones religious background will impact ones opinion.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Like some posters here I too know women who have had an abortion and in one case the woman who took that decision is still haunted by it - nearly 30 years after having it done. Someone close to me has counselled dozens of women considering abortion and the success rate (decision to keep/adopt out) is very high.
I do wonder about the objectiveness of some of these counselling services.

Yes there is often an emotional overhead to adopting out but life itself has emotional overheads too. A good BE case to refer to is the one experienced by a poster who is no longer posting on BE these days: Livinginreality. I take my hat off to that woman for her selfless approach and unflinching love for the child that she adopted out. Her particular story had a warm and happy ending. She spoke about it a lot in her later posts. Maybe you will want to go and have a good read of her personal experience?
You appear to be simplifying the emotional cost of adoption by saying that there are ups and downs in life anyway. Unfortunately, adding adoption on top of the normal ups and downs of life can be a very heavy burden.

You are assuming that a pregnant woman is considering the unborn child's welfare only if she continues the pregnancy - but she might well be considering the unborn child's welfare by terminating the pregnancy.

Just because they want to, people do not have the right to become parents by taking on someone else's child and taking an anti-abortion stance to achieve that goal. Some aspects of adoption equate to commodity trading, only it's not wheat, rice or gold, it's a child. As I said before, there is a tendency to see adoption from the viewpoint of the adults only - but what is best for the child?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:29 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Are you by any chance brainwashed by a certain religion based in rome?

You must be right?

Nope, religion has no influence in my opinions

Originally Posted by HelenTD
While counselling services are meant to help people reason things through and decide for themselves there's little doubt that the aim of many of the organisations sponsoring such services is to discourage abortions.

You appear to be simplifying the emotional cost of adoption by saying that there are ups and downs in life anyway. Unfortunately, adding adoption on top of the normal ups and downs of life can be a very heavy burden.
Yes but likewise feelings of guilt and remorse after having an abortion can also add a heavy burden.

You are assuming that a pregnant woman is considering the unborn child's welfare only if she continues the pregnancy - but she might well be considering the unborn child's welfare by terminating the pregnancy.
I'm not sure that there's a huge amount of difference between someone choosing abortion and years later someone wiping out themselves and their family - both done "for the childs welfare". It's still taking a human life. Depends when a person considers that life has begun, I suppose.

Just because they want to, people do not have the right to become parents by taking on someone else's child and taking an anti-abortion stance to achieve that goal. Some aspects of adoption equate to commodity trading, only it's not wheat, rice or gold, it's a child. As I said before, there is a tendency to see adoption from the viewpoint of the adults only - but what is best for the child?
I never said that they have the right to be parents but my point was that there's no shortage of people willing and happy to come forward and raise unwanted children. In that background the choice of whether to abort a child or give the child a chance of life is a bit of a no brainer to me.

Over the years I've known lots and lots of people who have been adopted. The vast majority are as happy and well adjusted as anyone else. It would be interesting to hear from BE posters who are adopted. Do they think it would have served their interests better if they'd never existed? However, it is a child's right to know from an early age that they were adopted but not necessarily to know the identity of their natural parents. My wife and I know a couple who adopted their 20 year old daughter as a baby and they've never told her that she's adopted. A very difficult position for them which would unlikely to have been an issue if they'd not kept it secret.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pink13
Thank god the jury saw sense on this one, they have been found not guilty abortion although yes on the odd occasion is used as contraception for most woman, and some men!! it is never and easy option,

I think that it is ridiculous that it is illegal in any country or state but that is just my opinion!!!!
Must admit I'm surprised.

Be interesting to read the full story behind this one as from what we have read so far they clearly broke the criminal law.
That being the case I expected the judge to instruct the jury to deliver a guilty verdict.

Whether that law is a century old or not is irrelevant, and even though many consider it unfit for contemporary times it is statute.Therefore shouldn't that law now be reviewed? Good old Anna Bligh says there are no plans to amend it so where does that leave things now?

I think the biggest "injustice" was that this couple was singled out after all these years.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:09 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Be interesting to read the full story behind this one as from what we have read so far they clearly broke the criminal law.
That being the case I expected the judge to instruct the jury to deliver a guilty verdict.

Whether that law is a century old or not is irrelevant, and even though many consider it unfit for contemporary times it is statute.Therefore shouldn't that law now be reviewed? Good old Anna Bligh says there are no plans to amend it so where does that leave things now?

I think the biggest "injustice" was that this couple was singled out after all these years.
I agree. I don't like it but at th end of the day, the law is the law. Same as that woman who killed her husband, admitted murder and got off scott free
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

From the little I've read so far, it looks like they couldn't prove that it wasn't a miscarriage due to natural causes, hence they couldn't be directed to deliver a guilty verdict as there was an element of doubt.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, think I must be feeling exceptionally unwell because I find myself agreeing with you on this issue