Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Please take a long holiday first.

Please take a long holiday first.

Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:27 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please take a long holiday first.

Originally Posted by gsxrmad
Yes I agree nurses can earn good money, vitually pick their shifts and jobs etc.. lots of benefits (i do salary package and have a brand new car) personally my job opportunities etc and the friendly people out way anything in the uk, however it is not just about me!!!! My husband is working 6 days a week for $18.50 an hour with little job opportunities, because his qualifications are not recognised here!! And before anyone shouts, did you not look into that, yes we did but we were also aware that there are thousands of jobs to chose from so did not see it as a problem!!!
I do wish everyone luck in there move here, but we feel it is not for us!!!
And good luck on your return.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Learn from my mistakes folks.
Please do not judge Australia on these glossy TV programmes as I did. I
went over as an electrician and had to work hard 6 days a week just to make ends meet, it has cost me thousands of pounds to realise I could not hack the way of life or the wages, go with eyes wide open and you might love it.
That's certainly the truth for a lot of people! The first thing I noticed when I came back after a year working here, and discovered this forum is that alot of people had based Australian life on TV/fantasy/preconception(!)
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Try and keep this thread pleasant please guys. As some one has already said, opinions are fine, but some of the delivery of those opinions leave a lot to be desired. Nastiness and personal comments are not requireed.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:35 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That's certainly the truth for a lot of people! The first thing I noticed when I came back after a year working here, and discovered this forum is that alot of people had based Australian life on TV/fantasy/preconception(!)
Pure idiocy
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:39 pm
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Try and keep this thread pleasant please guys. As some one has already said, opinions are fine, but some of the delivery of those opinions leave a lot to be desired. Nastiness and personal comments are not requireed.
You cannot discriminate against a person's accent though
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Pure idiocy
My top tip is:

Is a massive house - ie. one with a larger kitchen and huge multi-media room/rumpus room in a surburb - in the sun - possibly away from amenities *really* worth it.

Stacks of migrants don't change their lifestyle and use the beach, having never been outdoors people.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My top tip is:

Is a massive house - ie. one with a larger kitchen and huge multi-media room/rumpus room in a surburb - in the sun - possibly away from amenities *really* worth it.

Stacks of migrants don't change their lifestyle and use the beach, having never been outdoors people.
You are correct and yet for many that migrate, it's for the weather which I find quite odd since you have to hide from it in the middle of summer in your air conditioned home.

The Uk isnt really crap, it's the people and their attitudes that are. All too often they bring the same attitudes with them to oz.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
My OH started on the afternoon shift (3pm to 11:30pm) and when someone left from the morning shift he applied for their job. His bosses then said that because he was so good at his job they didn't want him to lose out on pay, so upped his hourly rate to the same one he was on doing afternoon shift, they also gave him a 4% pay rise on top of that (so he got 21% for applying for a job with better hours). The annual payrise of 4% was given a month later.

Just shows, that some companies do look after their staff.
That's recognition = reward

My OH was invited to participate in an induction of new recruits to help answer questions and give advice to settle them in. She did say that due to no meet and greet, no support to find suitable accommodation and having to pay for the airfare plus the culture shock that unless support was provided it would be highly likely that Nurses would return and she cited examples.

Sitting behind her was one of the top bods and when the meeting was over he called her into his office [she didn't know him from Adam] anyway he was very sorry to hear that Nurses were given very little support and immediately offered to pay for our airfare

fair dinkum
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
My dear, you certainly have a mind that interprets written word differently than I. I don't need spoonfeeding to respond to a thread/post.
Your'e opinions are welcome, allbeit far from fact.
Your condescending manner is most insulting and boorish and totally unwarranted. Please don't refer to me as your dear as nothing could be further from the truth.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:23 pm
Banned

Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
Your condescending manner is most insulting and boorish and totally unwarranted. Please don't refer to me as your dear as nothing could be further from the truth.
Do you remember the film Meet the fockers?? What was that word that they taught the baby ???? began with an 'A'.
Ummmm What was it?????
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:34 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Do you remember the film Meet the fockers?? What was that word that they taught the baby ???? began with an 'A'.
Ummmm What was it?????
Cool. A word game. Can you give me a starter for 10 coz i'm thick?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Cool. A word game. Can you give me a starter for 10 coz i'm thick?
lol
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The OH
That's recognition = reward

My OH was invited to participate in an induction of new recruits to help answer questions and give advice to settle them in. She did say that due to no meet and greet, no support to find suitable accommodation and having to pay for the airfare plus the culture shock that unless support was provided it would be highly likely that Nurses would return and she cited examples.
Yes, there is a very distinct lack of new migrant support in most of the major cities here. Something I think South Australia have got right, with the meet and greet service they provide and the option of 3 months housing. No free air fares though

Sitting behind her was one of the top bods and when the meeting was over he called her into his office [she didn't know him from Adam] anyway he was very sorry to hear that Nurses were given very little support and immediately offered to pay for our airfare

fair dinkum
Excellent
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:38 pm
Banned

Ummmm What was it?????
Funny how ones mind works isn't it. The actor that comes to mind is Kathy Bates & the 1990 Movie written by Stephen King............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.