Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Parenting styles: Oz vs UK

Parenting styles: Oz vs UK

Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parenting styles: Oz vs UK

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Anyone that generalises is a moron and should be shot.
Enterprise design patterns 1994. Gang of Four.

You a COBOL programmer?!

Hey - my first ever IT geek joke...better stop that.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:30 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Actually, I give them supplements too.
Are we still talking boobs, or am I having a blonde moment?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:37 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Enterprise design patterns 1994. Gang of Four.

You a COBOL programmer?!

Hey - my first ever IT geek joke...better stop that.
I did some COBOL at College, haven't touch it since ... Blimey, I did Lisp too ... Talking of which, back to the SEEK ads ...
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:39 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

God! we're all doomed!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:48 am

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Calcium (bone density esp for teen girls), fish oils (eyes, brain and because son has asthma... ) and immune stuff to prevent him getting hideous chesty cold thing each winter.
I don't think you can get everything out of diet these days. Still, they don't always take supplements. We do it during Winter and when we remember. Eating is meant to be seasonal I think so supplementing is too.
why?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I did some COBOL at College, haven't touch it since ... Blimey, I did Lisp too ... Talking of which, back to the SEEK ads ...
I know someone who has a lisp, does this count?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:09 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Depends on his parenthesis style: Oz vs UK
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Rambi
Depends on his parenthesis style: Oz vs UK
now yer just being too cute for yer own good
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:19 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
About as much as knowing Lisp does in today's IT market.

Right, enough of this, I'm off to do the grocery shop ... excitement plus
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:21 am

About as much as knowing Lisp does in today's IT market.

Right, enough of this, I'm off to do the grocery shop ... excitement plus
don't forget the fish oil and multivitamins
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
I have noticed a major difference in the parenting styles of Aussies compared to mine, regarding young kids that is. Or is it just me??

AFAIC it all seems to start with the nipple nazis and the health nurses. Everything is so prescriptive and concrete from a very early age. You must breast feed til the child is 21, you mustn't give them anything other than water to drink until they're 18, when fizzy piss suddenly becomes acceptable. They can have fruit and nothing else as a snack.

It doesn't stop there, we notice when go to ther people's houses that their kids must suffer deafness from being shouted at so much and so often. Don't jump on the couch, don't play with toys at the table..etc etc

There is one particular dad (wife's friend's OH) I cannot stand, on numerous occasions he has employed these parenting 'skills' on my children. Maybe fair enough in his house, but he he's done the same at ours. And he isn't the only nazi dad I've met. We had other 'friends' (again, of the wife, not mine) who came round once and he shouted at my son for climbing on the couch a while back. They're not welcome back.

And we've recently made friends with a scouse couple who are so much more laid back and fun with their son and my kids it's a pleasure to go there.

Is it just me??

Yep.

There's an old expression that goes something along the lines of "tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you what kind of person you are". You described some people as "friends", clearly they aren't.

Another way of looking at this is "birds of a feather flock together".

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Jun 17th 2011 at 2:03 am.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by asprilla
hmm... as one fellow Scot to another (I'm sure you have just as many fillings as me) - I reckon that this Australian conspiracy to make kids eat shedloads of fruit is probably a good thing, on balance.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

It's all about choice.
Erm. I hope that you mean it's all about INFORMED choice
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yep.

There's an old expression that goes something along the lines of "tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you want kind of person you are". You described some people as "friends", clearly they aren't.

Another way of looking at this is "birds of a feather flock together".
true! not my friends, my wife's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.