British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Paedophile who lived in Australia for 56 years sent to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/paedophile-who-lived-australia-56-years-sent-uk-523373/)

Vanessa Mar 21st 2008 10:09 pm

Re: Paedophile who lived in Australia for 56 years sent to UK

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 6093366)
He reminded me that Excell was deported. Got a problem with that?

And while we're here, are there any other crass comments you'd like to make on the subject? Perhaps you should meet my sexually abused friend.

That should be good for a laugh, eh?

There are more sexually abused adults around then you care to imagine. I would hazard a guess that most of us on here who are over the age of 30 have several in their group of friends. It was more prevalent years ago than anyone could imagine. Children were not believed, it was brushed under the carpet etc etc.

IMO children are a lot safer now than they have ever been - they are told about child molesters, they are not allowed out on their own as much, they are believed and something is done about it.

ozzieeagle Mar 21st 2008 10:27 pm

I realise this is a paedophile thats been deported. However Australian law is that any person that is not a Australian passport holder and commits a crime that results in more than 5 years in jail is supposed to be deported to their country of origin.

I can understand this law from the point of view of someone coming here, and within a few months or even 4 or 5 years and holding up a bank, or dealing in drugs, or even a paedophile and copping their just deserts. They were probably predisposed to that behaviour before they came here. I dont have a problem with relatively new arrivals getting deported.

However after a certain amount of time, say 15 - 20 years most people take on Australian traits. In those cases if one commits a serious crime, they are getting a double dose of punishment compared to Australian citizens that commit the same crime. Most people would say good, However bear in mind, if someone is a real hardnosed proffessional armed robber, they may well take out Aussie citizenship so as to avoid the double punishment.

Centurion Mar 21st 2008 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 6093380)
"Technically" a British citizen? He's absolutely a British citizen. There's no "technically" about it.

If he was stupid enough not to apply for citizenship, he should be sent back to the place where he belongs. There's no justification (whether legal or moral) for keeping him here.

I certainly don't see why we should bend the rules for the benefit of paedophiles.

Well said. If you can't be arsed or won't make the pledge to Australia as a country and become a citizen with civic responsibilities and rights, why in hell should Australia assist you.

NKSK version 2 Mar 22nd 2008 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 6092932)
He was "forcibly taken"? You mean taken to Australia by force? Wow, that's news to me. Was he abducted, or something? :confused:

The key point here is that he never applied for Australian citizenship. He is not an Australian citizen. He is a British citizen. Ergo, he is legally tied to Britain whether he likes it or not. And this overrides any roots he might have put down during his time in Australia.

I think others have said enough in response to this post. Suffice to say that my point was that at 5, yes he was forcibly taken.

(Unless of course you believe that at the age of 5 you can apply for a passport, a visa and make a conscious decision to move to Australia)

NKSK version 2 Mar 22nd 2008 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 6093266)
I totally agree with you on this. Basically despite his crimes, he is getting kicked out because he doesn't have the correct paperwork. He was schooled here, worked here, developed an Aussie accent here, even paid taxes here. Personally I think they should have a 25 year residential limit on these deportation for crimes that carry more than a 3 year sentance. Sure these people are highly undesirable, but why after 25 years does the country of birth carry the responsibility.

And no doubt somebody could argue that Australian society influenced his desire to commit crimes against children. He certainly wasn't doing it when he lived in the UK.

NKSK version 2 Mar 22nd 2008 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 6093380)
So all the Poms taking their kids down under, are doing so by force? :confused:

Are you being deliberately obstreperous?

I never said that the parents were forced to move. I said that he was forced to move.

EvannTel Mar 22nd 2008 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 6093366)
He reminded me that Excell was deported. Got a problem with that?

And while we're here, are there any other crass comments you'd like to make on the subject? Perhaps you should meet my sexually abused friend.

That should be good for a laugh, eh?

Apologies, ment no offence (but in hinsight it was).

I just really annoyed with some views expressed in this thread and rather than saying nothing (which is what I should have done) I made a cheap shot.

Personally I think these individuals are Australia's problem due to the situations and upbringing they have had - they have been "Australians" in all but citizenship. Had they arrived 2 years ago then deport.

As for the Bulger killers, atrocious as the case was, they were children themselves, do they do not deserve another chance? Wherever that is or under what identites? (Of course only if safe to do so) I know many think not, but I do.

Anyway apologies for my comment.

NKSK version 2 Mar 22nd 2008 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 6094819)
why in hell should Australia assist you.

Not quite sure how he was or was not being "assisted"?

(The guy has broken the law, he's served his time and has been released. The punishment - I think according to the justice system - is over.)

comet555 Mar 22nd 2008 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 6094819)
Well said. If you can't be arsed or won't make the pledge to Australia as a country and become a citizen with civic responsibilities and rights, why in hell should Australia assist you.

Totaly agree with you and Vash :D

The OH Mar 22nd 2008 9:38 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 6095784)
I think others have said enough in response to this post. Suffice to say that my point was that at 5, yes he was forcibly taken.

(Unless of course you believe that at the age of 5 you can apply for a passport, a visa and make a conscious decision to move to Australia)

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 6095788)
And no doubt somebody could argue that Australian society influenced his desire to commit crimes against children. He certainly wasn't doing it when he lived in the UK.

So those Parents who took their own children on the £10 ticket to Oz did so by shackling them to bunk beds and slapping their backsides if they misbehaved on the journey?:blink:

My point is that 5 year olds weren't forcibly taken. Are they seeking recompense from the British Government?

You expect someone to argue that Australia society influenced him? - this isn't about nature / nurture - its about a pervert who forcibly takes children and then sexually molests them and prefers to do this evil without being forcibly told to become an Australian citizen.

I just think this issue of you using the word force/forcibly has been taken way out of context. Hope that makes sense.

IvanM Mar 22nd 2008 10:09 am

The more educated comments in the media have suggested that the paedophile is more likely to reoffend in the UK where he is totally unknown and in a completely unfamiliar environment and more likely to get away with a crime. Any decision should be on child protection grounds and not on the usual "I'm arder than u on crime" politics.

The suggestion the paedophile came here willingly is laughable. What 5 year old has a choice in their parents migration decisions? Australia should learn to deal with its own problems rather than export them.

Hopefully someone will come up with something to prevent paedophiles reoffending rather than the usual woolies versus wannabe George Bush wip em and hangem tired old arguments.

The OH Mar 22nd 2008 10:20 am

Originally Posted by IvanM (Post 6095976)
George Bush wip em and hangem tired old arguments.

Yep I'd cut his balls off and tag the Eunuch in his neck like a dog.

NKSK version 2 Mar 22nd 2008 10:43 am

Originally Posted by The OH (Post 6095912)
So those Parents who took their own children on the £10 ticket to Oz did so by shackling them to bunk beds and slapping their backsides if they misbehaved on the journey?:blink:

My point is that 5 year olds weren't forcibly taken. Are they seeking recompense from the British Government?

You expect someone to argue that Australia society influenced him? - this isn't about nature / nurture - its about a pervert who forcibly takes children and then sexually molests them and prefers to do this evil without being forcibly told to become an Australian citizen.

I just think this issue of you using the word force/forcibly has been taken way out of context. Hope that makes sense.

Maybe "without consent" would have been a better choice.

quoll Mar 22nd 2008 10:55 am

I am sure that if he petitions the government like that other recent evictee (was he Czech or something) who was in a similar position - they will allow him back again and offer him permanent residence just like the other chap. Oh yes, I forgot, he is British so they wont be bothered with him!

smiling4 Mar 22nd 2008 11:01 am

Whilst I don't agree that someone living in Australia for 56 years, is deported back to the UK because that's where they came from, I can understand that AUstralia don't want him either.......however we don't either, so my opinion is that they should bring back corporal punishment for offenders like this........anyway going to leave it there cos not going to get caught in some political debate!

Ems x