Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Noel Gallagher on the Jade coverage

Noel Gallagher on the Jade coverage

Old Mar 15th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noel Gallagher on the Jade coverage

Are pap smears not free on NHS for all sexually active women? Having never lived in UK I honestly don't know the answer. However, here in Australia pap smears (cervical cancer screening) is free for any girl/woman who is active.[/QUOTE]

Sadly not. You get your first invitation for screening at age 25.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ref my previous post, I think most of us would rather not be stuck on a desert island with the woman (certainly not me) and obviously the media is losing the plot once again with this story. We all know that they are a bunch of muppets who spit people out when they are fed up with them - any normal person would agree with that. It is also absolutely, heartbreaking that anyone should have to go through this without the full and utter support of everyone. I just think that things are getting nasty enough in society without links such as the one given. Sorry to make a meal of it, but it is something I feel stongly about. I'll shut up now!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

As has been stated before, there are lots of people in her position, with children they will never see grow up, and every one of their stories is just as tragic. Unfortunately they don't have the option to milk a couple of million out of the press to leave behind for their kids. The general public are such a fickle lot. Afterall, the logic behind fall and rise of Jade Goody is suspect to say the least....

Thicko racist + cancer + Max Clifford = 2nd coming of Princess Di

Don't take this to mean that I'm not sympathetic, but I just think people should be more concerned about the things going on around them rather than G list celebs. As for the Aussies. Well, they may not be so obsessed with film or music stars, but put a pro sports person (from any sport you can dream of, literally) within 50k's and you've got fever pitch excitment on your hands. Oh, and not to forget that everyone who has ever played anything for Oz is automatically a "legend" and a "hero"
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:36 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana
As has been stated before, there are lots of people in her position, with children they will never see grow up, and every one of their stories is just as tragic. Unfortunately they don't have the option to milk a couple of million out of the press to leave behind for their kids. The general public are such a fickle lot. Afterall, the logic behind fall and rise of Jade Goody is suspect to say the least....

Thicko racist + cancer + Max Clifford = 2nd coming of Princess Di

Don't take this to mean that I'm not sympathetic, but I just think people should be more concerned about the things going on around them rather than G list celebs. As for the Aussies. Well, they may not be so obsessed with film or music stars, but put a pro sports person (from any sport you can dream of, literally) within 50k's and you've got fever pitch excitment on your hands. Oh, and not to forget that everyone who has ever played anything for Oz is automatically a "legend" and a "hero"
Sence at last
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:21 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I also watched someone die of cancer recently. Was the media camped outside my father's door paying for my elderly mother's future?
Yeah, I've said this before too. There was no press on the doorstep when my grandmother died of cancer or when my Dad died of cancer a year ago or when my wife's dad died of cancer.

If all this publicity somehow raises awareness of cervical cancer and promotes screening then that's really great but, I care no more for Jade than I do for the women who packs my bags at Coles. I don't know her and I wont be sobbing when she has gone. Millions die each year from cancer, so why should this "celebrity" garner any more reaction from you. None of these people know her and anyone who can respect her for her "career" as a racist loud-mouthed Big Brother contestant is baffling, but it's true that is all I know of her and perhaps there is a side which I don't know... but I doubt it.

The news of Jade being brave wearing a scarf on her head was front page news while the news that French and English scientists had made the biggest breakthrough in cancer research in a hundred years took up twenty lines on page 14. If only scientists and entrepreneurs were the rock stars and "celebs" of this modern age, like during the industrial revolution, we might be able to contribute something to modern life as a society beyond fake tits, knickerless actresses getting out of limos, size zero models on drugs, Little Britain and Russell Brand on TV and pensioner beating delinquents in the streets. It's staggering that we have managed to create what we have in that country while this gravity well of idiocracy sucks us all in through the front pages of the Sun and the Daily Wail. Something is wrong in Denmark people.

The circus needs to end, but it's sad that it has to end with a death.

Last edited by bigAPE; Mar 15th 2009 at 9:35 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Noel Gallagher on the Jade coverage

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Are pap smears not free on NHS for all sexually active women? Having never lived in UK I honestly don't know the answer. However, here in Australia pap smears (cervical cancer screening) is free for any girl/woman who is active

Sadly not. You get your first invitation for screening at age 25..
You may get an "invitation" at age 25, however any woman can get screened by seeing her GP or GUM clinic. This was taken from the NHS Cervical Screening Program webpage:
Any woman under 25 who is concerned about her risk of developing cervical cancer or her sexual health generally, should contact her GP or Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) clinic.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

You may get an "invitation" at age 25, however any woman can get screened by seeing her GP or GUM clinic. This was taken from the NHS Cervical Screening Program webpage:
Any woman under 25 who is concerned about her risk of developing cervical cancer or her sexual health generally, should contact her GP or Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) clinic.
As Dorothy has said any sexually active woman or girl can get Paps smears before the age of 25, I did. Any woman who is sensible about their health and uses contraception is likely to have visited a clinic or their GP where this would be discussed. Contraception is free while you are in full time education and it is also free to everyone from many family planning clinics so many young people go for this reason.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:11 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icarus
I'll take that back , Father of the Bride was hilarious
I STILL think Thatcher

and what's wrong with Father of the Bride, i thought it was really funny - as is Steve Martin - anyway, what's he ever done to deserve such hatred???
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7941608.stm

The poor women has at least encouraged more women to take up smear tests, good for her.

And yes you can 'ask' for the test before the age of 25, but realisitically, how many young women would do that???????
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:29 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Baffles me - a smear test is nothing compared with some of the things youngsters get up to these days
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple rain
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7941608.stm

The poor women has at least encouraged more women to take up smear tests, good for her.

And yes you can 'ask' for the test before the age of 25, but realisitically, how many young women would do that???????
It should be the job of the GP or sexual health clinic that prescribes a woman's birth control to suggest she be screened for STDs, including a smear test for abnormal cells. Just as it's the GP's job to refer women for mammograms and men for prostate screening. Or do think that patients should request those tests too?

Like I said, having never seen an NHS physician, I have no first hand knowledge of how their system works. I do know that in Australia and in Canada (where I have first hand knowledge of the health care systems) the GP or midwife who sees you for contraception also does a smear. And a pap smear is one of the routine screening tests done during pregnancy, along with testing for a variety of other sexually transmitted diseases.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

i havent lived in the uk for 18 years,but when i had my 1st child (21) i was sent a reminder to have a pap smear .,was already pregnant again.anyway at that point you could have them every 5 years although this changed to every 2 years.they were free of charge then from your local gp.worked as a practice nurse in sheffield in 1988 to 1992 and we conducted a smear clinic once a month.also included urine testing for detecting diabetes and any vacinations that required follow up.gps were paid $120 for vaccinations(anything to bring more dosh into the practice).
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

oops sorry not $120 was $12 then added an extra zero
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

It should be the job of the GP or sexual health clinic that prescribes a woman's birth control to suggest she be screened for STDs, including a smear test for abnormal cells. Just as it's the GP's job to refer women for mammograms and men for prostate screening. Or do think that patients should request those tests too?

Like I said, having never seen an NHS physician, I have no first hand knowledge of how their system works. I do know that in Australia and in Canada (where I have first hand knowledge of the health care systems) the GP or midwife who sees you for contraception also does a smear. And a pap smear is one of the routine screening tests done during pregnancy, along with testing for a variety of other sexually transmitted diseases.
Women and men are 'invited' to screening tests it is not the job of the GP to 'refer' for routine screening. GP's are strapped for time, and unless you get a good one, they don't give a lot of health promotion. If you go to the GP with a health related problem ie you are concerned or have found a lump then they will refer you.
I found out recently that I could get mammograms regularly in Oz,my GP here did not tell me that a girl at work did, I mistakenly assumed that screening ages would the same as in the UK!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

i have a mammogram every year,got one scheduled next thurs in perth.this is because i have had previous lumps removed(under the bra line/breast mouse - they call it) one was 7cms in diameter and grew very fast in short space of time. was in for a few days each time and had bottles attached when i woke up.initially just supposed to be a day patient.all have been non cancerous thank god.dont know about smears as i had a hysterectomy in 1994.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
i have a mammogram every year,got one scheduled next thurs in perth.this is because i have had previous lumps removed(under the bra line/breast mouse - they call it) one was 7cms in diameter and grew very fast in short space of time. was in for a few days each time and had bottles attached when i woke up.initially just supposed to be a day patient.all have been non cancerous thank god.dont know about smears as i had a hysterectomy in 1994.
Thank goodness you are all clear!!!!
I also had a Hysterectomy, in 2000, they left behind my ovaries and cervix so I still have to have regular smears
Jacqui

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.