Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Nanny State: Which is worse?

View Poll Results: Nanny State:- Which is worse?
Oz
70.97%
UK
19.35%
What Nanny State? I'm confused - I don't know.
9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Nanny State: Which is worse?

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny State: Which is worse?

Originally Posted by paulry
Youngest son is gutted that he has to wait until he's 16 to go paintballing

18 in Victoria!
Drive him over to SA spoilsport Those buggers hurt, wouldn't get me doing it now, mind you I'm probably a wuss
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:07 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Drive him over to SA spoilsport Those buggers hurt, wouldn't get me doing it now, mind you I'm probably a wuss
Actually for now I'm glad of the age restriction. It's one less thing that I have to respond with the "When I'm working " excuse. But yes when the cash is here we'll definately be taking him. Eldest somehow got to do it 2 or 3 times in the UK so I have to try and be fair.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 2:32 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
An example of Aussie nannyism ? Examples are all around, open the other eye and you will see plenty
A vice versa example as stated.

So that would be an example of someone creating a fictional UK example based on a real Aus example.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the first time I have heard of it, at Bunnings most of the old duffers wouldn't be able to lift the bag either I'm 6'4" and 105kg which is why I thought it seemed a little over the top, I could carry 2 under each arm.

Not found or heard of anything like that. Maybe the guy didn't think you looked capable of lifting said bag?
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
It's the first time I have heard of it, at Bunnings most of the old duffers wouldn't be able to lift the bag either I'm 6'4" and 105kg which is why I thought it seemed a little over the top, I could carry 2 under each arm.
The husband tells me the bags used to be sold in 50kg and that they had to be 'trolleyed' to the car. H&S then came in and said a 'normal' man should only carry 20kg so the bags went down to that weight. Maybe your numpty trolley pusher hadn't been informed the rules had changed. Maybe he was just a tool.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:01 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

In Queenland there is no maximum permissible limit (MPL) for lifting tasks. This is because there is great variability in the nature of the load being lifted, the height at which it is being handled, the location and work environment as well as the individual characteristics of the worker.

SOURCE: http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace...mits/index.htm
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:09 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any recommended weight limits for manual lifting?

The law does not include maximum weight limits.The main legal requirements require avoidance or control of risk. HSE does not recommend weight limits.

SOURCE: http://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/faq.htm
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:57 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I'm always amazed that people can twist a UK nannyism into a fictional Aussie one. Keep up the good work
I don't feel that what you think is nannyism could be construed as such. To me it's common sense that when fitting new glazing it should conform to building regs.
I worked for a company that, as one of its many attributes, was registered to install PVCu windows. As both an occasional installer & the bloke who often measured I had to stipulate where the window/door was situated as it may require a different glass. As far as I remember laws were changed so that even the old style Georgian panes had to be toughened [certainly on local authority work]
Having seen the horrific injuries to a small child that fell through a Georgian window I think it's a great idea.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:12 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I don't feel that what you think is nannyism could be construed as such. To me it's common sense that when fitting new glazing it should conform to building regs.
I worked for a company that, as one of its many attributes, was registered to install PVCu windows. As both an occasional installer & the bloke who often measured I had to stipulate where the window/door was situated as it may require a different glass. As far as I remember laws were changed so that even the old style Georgian panes had to be toughened [certainly on local authority work]
Having seen the horrific injuries to a small child that fell through a Georgian window I think it's a great idea.
I was calling it nannyism by the standards set by others

I make no judgement on whether this rule is good or bad, just that it exists.

Last edited by Rambi; Jul 3rd 2011 at 8:41 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The health and safety manual where I work is so big and heavy it is against the health and safety regulations to try to lift it
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:42 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Grayling
The health and safety manual where I work is so big and heavy it is against the health and safety regulations to try to lift it

Read post 66.

Honestly, why do I bother.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Then it's not legal. The law clearly states that any manual is no heavier than 1kg.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Read post 66.

Honestly, why do I bother.
But I work in a hospital which has an absolute no lifting policy
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Then it's not legal. The law clearly states that any manual is no heavier than 1kg.
There are several volumes.....such is the jobsworth attitude in this nanny state
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The husband tells me the bags used to be sold in 50kg and that they had to be 'trolleyed' to the car. H&S then came in and said a 'normal' man should only carry 20kg so the bags went down to that weight. Maybe your numpty trolley pusher hadn't been informed the rules had changed. Maybe he was just a tool.
You can put your back out anytime. I used to hill run with in excess of 20kg...carrying 2 under each arm would be silly..

There are several volumes.....such is the jobsworth attitude in this nanny state
Firefighting not withstanding, and there is no manual dustributed - I tend to choose to derive my income from a job where the manual for H & S can be avoided...

Which reminds me - it's amazing, really how little trg is allocated to vol firefighters ..I would have expected a module but there wasn't one.

About the only safety advice is careful how you get out of the truck !

And inside, wearing BA, get out when the whistle goes..or when it seems like a good idea...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.