British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Nanny State: Which is worse? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/nanny-state-worse-723193/)

Alfresco Jun 30th 2011 9:01 pm

Nanny State: Which is worse?

UK or Australia?

What Nannyish things irritate you the most? :D

Rambi Jun 30th 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Nanny State: Which is worse?

Loads more job-worths in the UK. :thumbup:

BadgeIsBack Jun 30th 2011 10:05 pm

I couldn't care less. I work in an industry that pays its de-regulated professionals a fair amount of money despite.

I don't build houses, I am not a tradesmen nor do I operate a business.
I am in good health. I live on a large block of land and am buffered from other people's stupidity. I consider the support of the Australian government pretty handy at times...

All good reasons. Seeing as I am feeling thoughtful, here is a quote from the historian AJP Taylor which I often recall when people complain about Nanny States..from the book English History 1914-1945 which I did at History A Level..

"[Until 1914, an Englishman] Could pass through life and hardly notice the existence of the state, beyond the post office and the policeman. He could live where he liked and as he liked. He had no official number or identity card. He could travel abroad or leave his country for ever without a passport or any sort of official permission. He could exchange his money for any other currency without restriction or limit. He could buy goods from any country in the world on the same terms as he bought goods at home. For that matter, a foreigner could spend his life in this country without permit and without informing the police. Unlike the countries of the European continent, the state did not require its citizens to perform military service. "

That is how I feel right now living in Australia (apart from the fact I do need a passport and foreigners can't just turn up). I don't feel restricted.

moneypenny20 Jun 30th 2011 10:10 pm

Pity you didn't make it multiple choice.

Alfresco Jun 30th 2011 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9468737)
Pity you didn't make it multiple choice.

That would be far too easy. ;)

ozzieeagle Jul 1st 2011 9:38 am

I voted OZ, which probably indicates I dont really know about any of the latest intrusions by big brother in the UK.

I do know my young Son when we visited, loved the fact that he and his cousin could play with BB Guns.

On the other hand you've got Poll Tax... thats a pretty massive intrusion. It possibly outweighs all of the nannyish obstacles we face in Aus :unsure:

Mr Grumpy Jul 1st 2011 9:45 am

The fact you need a licence to own a tv in the UK is outrageous. Also if you dont have one and claim you dont own a tv will get you inso much shit you will probably end up in court to prove you dont own a tv!!!WTF:ohmy:

Rambi Jul 1st 2011 9:51 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 9469703)
I voted OZ, which probably indicates I dont really know about any of the latest intrusions by big brother in the UK.

I do know my young Son when we visited, loved the fact that he and his cousin could play with BB Guns.

On the other hand you've got Poll Tax... thats a pretty massive intrusion. It possibly outweighs all of the nannyish obstacles we face in Aus :unsure:

Poll tax went out in 1993.

Surveillance cameras are much more of an intrusion in the UK. If you go for a piss in the bushes behind a railway station don't be surprised if some security guards turn up to reprimand you. :ohmy:

With respect to BB guns. Maybe your son's cousin would be amazed that people can own (non muzzle loaded) pistols in Aus but not in the UK?

chris955 Jul 1st 2011 9:59 am

Up until 5 years ago I would have said the UK was worse without a doubt but Australia has put in a real concerted effort and caught up and passed now. You need a permit to apply for a license.

Rambi Jul 1st 2011 10:27 am

Ultimately most of the rules of regulations are the same for both countries. There are some exceptions. There are things that are restricted and regulated in Aus that may not be in the UK (e.g. purchase of fireworks, selling more than 5 cars a year) but there are also things that are restricted and regulated in the UK that may not be in Aus (e.g. changing windows to double glazing without a permit or a licensed company, or owning handguns, or owning a TV).

When people come to Aus they come up against regulations they never thought about before. The same or similar regulation may exist in the UK but because they grew up with it they never noticed it was regulated there. Also people invent regulations that do not actually exist. You do not need a barista licence to make and sell coffee. Vocational training for baristas exist in both countries. You do not need a licence to sell newspapers. Inventing non-existing regulations or denigrating Aus for doing the same thing as the UK seems to give some people comfort.

Rambi Jul 1st 2011 10:29 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9469738)
Up until 5 years ago I would have said the UK was worse without a doubt but Australia has put in a real concerted effort and caught up and passed now. You need a permit to apply for a license.

Where do I get my permit to apply for my TV licence? :unsure:

ozzieeagle Jul 1st 2011 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9469729)
Poll tax went out in 1993.

Surveillance cameras are much more of an intrusion in the UK. If you go for a piss in the bushes behind a railway station don't be surprised if some security guards turn up to reprimand you. :ohmy:

With respect to BB guns. Maybe your son's cousin would be amazed that people can own (non muzzle loaded) pistols in Aus but not in the UK?

Was Poll tax replaced by Council Tax ? :confused: and Is that tax on top of rates... I honestly dont know ?

Re the Pistols... Can't private indviduals in the UK get Gun Licenses for them like here... I assumed it was more or less the same in both Countries.

BTW on that trip we went to Paris and at a fairground in one of those Crane machines they had Knives and Lighters... .that was a huge surprise.

Turban Explorer Jul 1st 2011 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy (Post 9469717)
The fact you need a licence to own a tv in the UK is outrageous. Also if you dont have one and claim you dont own a tv will get you inso much shit you will probably end up in court to prove you dont own a tv!!!WTF:ohmy:

I think you're right about that aspect of life in the UK - it's considered you owe everyone money until you prove you don't. The threatening letters escalate quickly, fines whacked on increase the original 'bill' exponentially and then the bailiffs turn up over something you never owed anyway when the debt has been sold on to some 'recovery' vulture company. Just had a 6 week dispute with Lewisham council bailiffs over a 24 hour period between tenants in my flat there. With legal fees, court, bailiffs the 7 quid had become 473 quid! W*nkers. All cleared now though :thumbup:

Rambi Jul 1st 2011 10:42 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 9469782)
Was Poll tax replaced by Council Tax ? :confused: and Is that tax on top of rates... I honestly dont know ?

Re the Pistols... Can't private indviduals in the UK get Gun Licenses for them like here... I assumed it was more or less the same in both Countries.

BTW on that trip we went to Paris and at a fairground in one of those Crane machines they had Knives and Lighters... .that was a huge surprise.

Council tax is what you have instead of rates. Houses are banded rather than given a rateable value and how much you pay (within a council area) depends on the band. You can also get a discount if you live on your own (the original assumption was that most houses have at least 2 people in them).

In the UK you can't have a (non-muzzle loading) pistol on the mainland (England, Wales and Scotland). No licence, no gun clubs. When they brought the law in the UK's Olympic pistol team had to decamp to Belgium so they could practice.

Generally everything goes in France. However I was surprised on the last 2 visits about how they now adhere to the speed limits.

chris955 Jul 1st 2011 10:47 am

We don't have tv licenses here, considering the crap that gets show I doubt anyone would pay :D

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9469775)
Where do I get my permit to apply for my TV licence? :unsure: