Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Nanny State: Which is worse?

View Poll Results: Nanny State:- Which is worse?
Oz
70.97%
UK
19.35%
What Nanny State? I'm confused - I don't know.
9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Nanny State: Which is worse?

Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:49 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny State: Which is worse?

I found a parking space in Regents Park once when I was going to the zoo. As I was at the machine (there were 2 people in front of me), a parking inspector came through the hedge by the car and started writing up a parking ticket. I had to walk back and tell him that I was actually between the car and the machine getting the ticket.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:50 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We don't have tv licenses here, considering the crap that gets show I doubt anyone would pay
I know

We don't need a licence to fart either
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:51 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right, because you asked I wasnt sure if you knew or not.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:55 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Oh right, because you asked I wasnt sure if you knew or not.
That's okay. I realise you live in Queensland.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:58 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I found a parking space in Regents Park once when I was going to the zoo. As I was at the machine (there were 2 people in front of me), a parking inspector came through the hedge by the car and started writing up a parking ticket. I had to walk back and tell him that I was actually between the car and the machine getting the ticket.
The parking ticket industry in London is a huge business 'tis true. Living on the edge of a congestion zone was fun as well - it cost 400 quid per year for my parking permit (only one per household of course!), I had to pay 25 quid for a tradesman to park his van to do any work (only 8 permits per year of these allowed) and 10 quid to pull off as I went straight into a congestion zone.....
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:03 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
The parking ticket industry in London is a huge business 'tis true. Living on the edge of a congestion zone was fun as well - it cost 400 quid per year for my parking permit (only one per household of course!), I had to pay 25 quid for a tradesman to park his van to do any work (only 8 permits per year of these allowed) and 10 quid to pull off as I went straight into a congestion zone.....
That sounds like a pain. When they brought the charge in I remember house prices just inside the zone went up compared to those just outside the zone. At the time I was wondering if people were going to get any benefit from paying the extra. Sounds like it was more of a pain than a benefit.

It did wonders for those of us living just outside the zone in SE London. All the through traffic disappeared and it was like stepping back a decade in traffic congestion. I was already commuting on a motorbike so I didn't have to pay the charge
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Ultimately most of the rules of regulations are the same for both countries. There are some exceptions. There are things that are restricted and regulated in Aus that may not be in the UK (e.g. purchase of fireworks, selling more than 5 cars a year) but there are also things that are restricted and regulated in the UK that may not be in Aus (e.g. changing windows to double glazing without a permit or a licensed company, or owning handguns, or owning a TV).

When people come to Aus they come up against regulations they never thought about before. The same or similar regulation may exist in the UK but because they grew up with it they never noticed it was regulated there. Also people invent regulations that do not actually exist. You do not need a barista licence to make and sell coffee. Vocational training for baristas exist in both countries. You do not need a licence to sell newspapers. Inventing non-existing regulations or denigrating Aus for doing the same thing as the UK seems to give some people comfort.
Classic Rambi. Putting people in the picture...

If more posters thought like you, there would be a lot less disgruntled migrants.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm here an opening for this.... just imagine what could have been LOL ....

Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Did you remain calm? I would have been tempted to [censored]!

Sneaky twit. He probably caught loads of people like that.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Not for long

That's okay. I realise you live in Queensland.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:49 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Hmmm here an opening for this.... just imagine what could have been LOL ....

http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...dmapgerman.png..
Morden. The line to death
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:54 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Did you remain calm? I would have been tempted to [censored]!

Sneaky twit. He probably caught loads of people like that.
I think exasperation kept me calm. It was one of those moments when you think Beadle's about. The bloke obviously walked through a small gate in the hedge but from where I was standing it did look like he'd jumped out of the hedge.

At least he stopped writing the ticket. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had said, "I've started so now I've got to finish". (That's another story from parking in Twickenham )
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

At least he stopped writing the ticket. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had said, "I've started so now I've got to finish". (That's another story from parking in Twickenham )
You can only be pushed so far...the poor ****** probably can't get another job or find it too cushy to move on from..
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:58 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Not for long
Where are you heading to?
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:00 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You can only be pushed so far...the poor ****** probably can't get another job or find it too cushy to move on from..
I think they like the paramilitary look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.