Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Murder Victim was English

Wikiposts

Murder Victim was English

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 1:38 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Murder Victim was English

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
. But The UK still does have a history of community interaction (maybe in ways because they have been through so much adversity). It is something that sadly lacks in oz
To say the UK has community spirit while OZ does'nt. Look at all the community spirit the chavs and some other groups you can think about in the UK have . People in OZ have probably gone though as much adversity if not more then people in the UK. The UK has'nt gone though any real great national adversity since WW2 , maybe there was a community spirit back then. Community spirit or community interaction is probably lacking in both countries not just OZ.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Dec 23rd 2006 at 2:05 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 7:28 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
...and in the inside fridge, and that handy cupboard in the laundry room etc....The Bloke is amazed by the amount the place can hold
....and dog kennel...BBQ....spare bedroom...wardrobes.....

Pool...that's the best one. Takes a lot of ice to fill
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:04 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
To say the UK has community spirit while OZ does'nt. Look at all the community spirit the chavs and some other groups you can think about in the UK have . People in OZ have probably gone though as much adversity if not more then people in the UK. The UK has'nt gone though any real great national adversity since WW2 , maybe there was a community spirit back then. Community spirit or community interaction is probably lacking in both countries not just OZ.
Agreed all western countries have issues in this regard, and I did mention this in an earlier post. However I still encountered a far different and more positive attitude when I was in the UK (admittedly a few years ago) than what I have found in oz. Part of the problem is that the urbanisation of australia and the political, social and economic factors have been poorly thought out and become a breeding ground for the problem.

I'm talking about community spirit at the level of say volunteer firefighters or the SES level. These are men and women of whom australia can really be very proud of. I'm talking more of the lack lustre, superficial sense of comunity local councils and state govts try to pass off to the rest of us as the norm. I'm talking about how as a society we keep to ourselves and fail to value and include others.

I'm talking about the superficial 'hand of friendship' that is seemingly extended but has no real authenticity beyond some burnt steak and a discussion of the weekend AFL game. A level of interaction that does not genuinely warm because it is by itself not genuine, merely an attempt to pass as such.

I'm talkign about the attitude that australia is the best and god help anyone who has any other viewpoint. If the place is truly so great and problem free (and I am struggling to think of anywhere that would be), then why not simply let it and it's people bask in their glory without all the rhetoric and continual push to make us all 'true believers'

Have a nice xmas and new year mate, to you and yours, and a good 2007
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:35 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm talking about the superficial 'hand of friendship' that is seemingly extended but has no real authenticity beyond some burnt steak and a discussion of the weekend AFL game. A level of interaction that does not genuinely warm because it is by itself not genuine, merely an attempt to pass as such.

I'm talkign about the attitude that australia is the best and god help anyone who has any other viewpoint. If the place is truly so great and problem free (and I am struggling to think of anywhere that would be), then why not simply let it and it's people bask in their glory without all the rhetoric and continual push to make us all 'true believers'

And yet this has never been my experience of Australia, ever.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:05 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed all western countries have issues in this regard, and I did mention this in an earlier post. However I still encountered a far different and more positive attitude when I was in the UK (admittedly a few years ago) than what I have found in oz. Part of the problem is that the urbanisation of australia and the political, social and economic factors have been poorly thought out and become a breeding ground for the problem.

I'm talking about community spirit at the level of say volunteer firefighters or the SES level. These are men and women of whom australia can really be very proud of. I'm talking more of the lack lustre, superficial sense of comunity local councils and state govts try to pass off to the rest of us as the norm. I'm talking about how as a society we keep to ourselves and fail to value and include others.

I don't think you know what your talking about....

Am I the only one that thinks this post doesn't make sense?

ZX.......
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:11 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
I don't think you know what your talking about....

ZX.......
Sex Instructor ay...does it pay well
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:15 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Sex Instructor ay...does it pay well

I'm just starting out..... I need to offer myself for free at first....

ZX.....
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:19 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by iPom
And yet this has never been my experience of Australia, ever.
I am pleased your experience has been a positive one for you (and believe it or not, I too have had some positive experiences in this country lol). But even so, I think it would be hard to deny that you have escaped the parochialism and constant carry on about how all things oz are just the bees kness...hmmm... maybe it's just more highly noticable in WA :scared:

Incidentally a lot of this carry on in my experience isn't necessarily from australians as individuals but from the media over here. Ask anyone in Perth who listens to say 6pr radio or watches channel 7 news etc. Yes I know I should quit them, but they do have some good shows on too.

Enjoy your xmas /ny break
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:20 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, I'm with you too... But I put it down to being a bit early for KC...
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:23 am
Jedi Princess

I'm just starting out..... I need to offer myself for free at first....

ZX.....
Well if you behave yourself you never know what the big man in the red suit and white beard might bring you
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:24 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by rodders39
Nope, I'm with you too... But I put it down to being a bit early for KC...
Oh c'mon rodders..lift ya game u lazy bones
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:27 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Oh c'mon rodders..lift ya game u lazy bones
Nope... I'm in truce mode until Boxing day... My own little contribution to world peace...
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:30 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pleased your experience has been a positive one for you (and believe it or not, I too have had some positive experiences in this country lol). But even so, I think it would be hard to deny that you have escaped the parochialism and constant carry on about how all things oz are just the bees kness...hmmm... maybe it's just more highly noticable in WA :scared:

Incidentally a lot of this carry on in my experience isn't necessarily from australians as individuals but from the media over here. Ask anyone in Perth who listens to say 6pr radio or watches channel 7 news etc. Yes I know I should quit them, but they do have some good shows on too.

Enjoy your xmas /ny break

In my time travelling around Australia years ago, backpacking, I never came across the sorts of attitudes you are talking about. I just met a lot of really honest, salt of the earth people who were genuinely interested in me and I them.

I don't really watch tv and I don't read the papers, or watch the rubbish news channels...I do watch SBS or ABC news, current affairs. I just live a life, with my friends and my family, who are intelligent, articulate Australian people. I take no notice of what other people consider to be Australia, preferring to make up my own mind what I think. My life is all about my experience, not other people's, so others perceptions of what Australia is all about isn't really going to affect me.
At the end of the day, we are all humans, and as such, we are doing what humans do, world over. Whatever sociological slant people put on that, it's up to them, but people are people.
This is no utopian society, not that I have ever seen it claimed as such, and wherever you have people, you'll have the miriad of levels of intelligence that go with that.

I like Australia, I love people in general and I do like Australians very much. (After all, I married one) That helps, I find, when it comes to my levels of acceptance of other people and their acceptance of me.

Have a good christmas yourself.

Last edited by iPom; Dec 23rd 2006 at 9:33 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:35 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by iPom
In my time travelling around Australia years ago, backpacking, I never came across the sorts of attitudes you are talking about. I just met a lot of really honest, salt of the earth people who were genuinely interested in me and I them.

I don't really watch tv and I don't read the papers, or watch the rubbish news channels...I do watch SBS or ABC news, current affairs. I just live a life, with my friends and my family, who are intelligent, articulate Australian people. I take no notice of what other people consider to be Australia, preferring to make up my own mind what I think. My life is all about my experience, not other people's, so others perceptions of what Australia is all about isn't really going to affect me.
At the end of the day, we are all humans, and as such, we are doing what humans do, world over. Whatever sociological slant people put on that, it's up to them, but people are people.
This is no utopian society, not that I have ever seen it claimed as such, and wherever you have people, you'll have the miriad of levels of intelligence that goes with that.

I like Australia, I love people in general and I do like Australians very much. That helps, I find, when it comes to my levels of acceptance of other people and their acceptance of me.

Have a good christmas yourself.
Bloody good post. Yes, personal experiences do have a lot to do with it. Can never really walk life in another's shoes.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:37 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by rodders39
Nope... I'm in truce mode until Boxing day... My own little contribution to world peace...
Yep... have a good one mate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.