Reload this Page >

Murder Victim was English

Murder Victim was English

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Murder Victim was English

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
I don't think you know what your talking about....

Am I the only one that thinks this post doesn't make sense?

ZX.......
It doesn't reflect my experience of the UK and Aus.

I've found Australia to be more community minded than the UK. Volunteerism is huge here and not just for the firees and SES; the Lions, Rotary and their projects are much more visible here. As a firefighter I'm grateful to the Lions, the Aussie Red Cross and all the other organisations that volunteer their time to look after us when we're fighting fires away from home.

As for sport, the Australians I know don't bang on about it nearly as much as the English I used to know. At least the Aussies have something to crow about.

As for being the world's greatest nation, there are tonnes of Brits that I've met over the years who think Britain should be running the world and think the Americans should hand the job back. I've not heard anything like this from Australians. The biggest gripe Brits have about the EU is that they are not running the joint and even worse that the Germans and French are running it.

My Australian friends are intelligent people. I agree that there are thick Australians around but no more than there are thick Brits in Britain.

And back to community spirit. The standard of stuff that has been built for the community here is much higher than the UK. The community centres are useful and pleasant to visit. The children's playgrounds are better and unvandalised. Public boardwalks are everywhere. Public parks have free public BBQs which are clean and again unvandalised. There are more public toilets that are open and clean.

Obviously my observations are based on my experience in my part of Australia (Victoria). I realise that the experience in other states (and territories) may be different.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." -- Anais Nin

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:10 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

Wonderful quote

I agree with you regarding volunteering - it appears to me much more prevelent than in the Uk. Even my kids have to put in a certain amount when at school - now that can't be a bad thing
Old Dec 24th 2006, 1:50 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

That is one of the most appropriate quotes I have seen for a long time. There are alot of people that should heed those words and perhaps reflect on ways they look at certain aspects of their lives.

Nice one!!
Old Dec 24th 2006, 2:03 am
Banned

Ellesse will become famous soon enoughEllesse will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
That is one of the most appropriate quotes I have seen for a long time. There are alot of people that should heed those words and perhaps reflect on ways they look at certain aspects of their lives.

Nice one!!
Take from the quote only that which you want to take.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't reflect my experience of the UK and Aus.

I've found Australia to be more community minded than the UK. Volunteerism is huge here and not just for the firees and SES; the Lions, Rotary and their projects are much more visible here. As a firefighter I'm grateful to the Lions, the Aussie Red Cross and all the other organisations that volunteer their time to look after us when we're fighting fires away from home.

As for sport, the Australians I know don't bang on about it nearly as much as the English I used to know. At least the Aussies have something to crow about.

As for being the world's greatest nation, there are tonnes of Brits that I've met over the years who think Britain should be running the world and think the Americans should hand the job back. I've not heard anything like this from Australians. The biggest gripe Brits have about the EU is that they are not running the joint and even worse that the Germans and French are running it.

My Australian friends are intelligent people. I agree that there are thick Australians around but no more than there are thick Brits in Britain.

And back to community spirit. The standard of stuff that has been built for the community here is much higher than the UK. The community centres are useful and pleasant to visit. The children's playgrounds are better and unvandalised. Public boardwalks are everywhere. Public parks have free public BBQs which are clean and again unvandalised. There are more public toilets that are open and clean.

Obviously my observations are based on my experience in my part of Australia (Victoria). I realise that the experience in other states (and territories) may be different.

Martin must be my long lost brother. I agree, I find most of the classic anti-Aussy cliches are often just that. The more time I spend here, the more I realise it. I'd have some real shocks if I went back to the Uk where I've never had kids.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 2:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Martin must be my long lost brother. I agree, I find most of the classic anti-Aussy cliches are often just that. The more time I spend here, the more I realise it. I'd have some real shocks if I went back to the Uk where I've never had kids.
Is your mum called Doris? Did your Dad have a bike

Old Dec 24th 2006, 2:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ellesse
Take from the quote only that which you want to take.
That has a persuasive circularity to it
Old Dec 24th 2006, 3:33 am
Banned

That has a persuasive circularity to it
No, thats you repeating it inside your brain.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 3:36 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

This is not some life changing, statement of enlightenment or absolute truth. It's simply one person's comment on their perception of how others perceive the world. Because this is how they believe they perceive the world, they assume everyone else on the planet does as well. LOL
Old Dec 24th 2006, 3:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
This is not some life changing, statement of enlightenment or absolute truth. It's simply one person's comment on their perception of how others perceive the world. Because this is how they believe they perceive the world, they assume everyone else on the planet does as well. LOL
Karma for that.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 3:44 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

..............and so it goes round and round, like a dog chasing it's tail

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 24th 2006, 4:56 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
..............and so it goes round and round, like a dog chasing it's tail

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 24th 2006, 11:32 am
Account Closed

No one said is was some life changing, statement of enlightenment or absolute truth. It's a quote that highlights why people interpret things differently.

For me it has a ring of truth. I've never met anyone who perceives things exactly like I do. I don't always agree with my long lost brother Badge. Your perception of Australia is different to mine not only because of our different experiences but also because of the way we choose to interpret them (i.e. the way we are).

Old Dec 24th 2006, 10:40 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

No one said is was some life changing, statement of enlightenment or absolute truth. It's a quote that highlights why people interpret things differently.

For me it has a ring of truth. I've never met anyone who perceives things exactly like I do. I don't always agree with my long lost brother Badge. Your perception of Australia is different to mine not only because of our different experiences but also because of the way we choose to interpret them (i.e. the way we are).

It certainly provides room for debate as this is a very complex topic, but if you can relate to it...cool. And yes perception does have a degree of personalisation about it, but equally it has a degree of conditioning about it also. Anyway, nuff said. Enjoy ya xmas day