Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

MH370 - Kuala Lumpur to Beijing - missing

MH370 - Kuala Lumpur to Beijing - missing

Old Mar 9th 2014, 9:52 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MH370 - Kuala Lumpur to Beijing - missing

We can speculate all we like. It's like betting on the horses, someone will pick the right scenario. Structural failure, electrical failure, hijack, terrorism etc.

My guess is Colonel Mustard in the aft toilet with the semtex
Old Mar 9th 2014, 10:06 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
On the news here they seem to think it's mechanical error, they are playing down any terrorist threat at the moment.

Those poor people, that's my worst nightmare.
I think it's because we can imagine those 2-3 mins of terror that airplane crashes (which are statistically very unlikely) make many if us fearful.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 10:24 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
We can speculate all we like. It's like betting on the horses, someone will pick the right scenario. Structural failure, electrical failure, hijack, terrorism etc.

My guess is Colonel Mustard in the aft toilet with the semtex
To me, one of the most interesting things is the different way people address the story.

Some pick it apart and attempt to understand what happened, etc.

Others decry the first group and say they shouldn't 'speculate', and should await the verdict of the authorities.

They are two, very different ways of looking at the world - two different mental models. Forget left and right - that separation is probably more important to society.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 11:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
To me, one of the most interesting things is the different way people address the story.

Others decry the first group and say they shouldn't 'speculate', and should await the verdict of the authorities.

They are two, very different ways of looking at the world - two different mental models. Forget left and right - that separation is probably more important to society.
With a long background in aviation, I agree, it is interesting to read the speculaion, the theories and eventually the truth. Done it a few times when friends and even a former instructor have died in accidents, kind of teaches you how to be objective.

But I admit that even though my entire role is disaster-based, the one thing I dread is a major aircraft incident within Queensland. Would hit too close to my heart and is the one thing I would have to take a deep breath before coping with.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 11:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

But how can one "pick apart and try to understand" when there's no evidence to pick apart? There's only rumour and speculation until the planes flight data recorder and CVR are recovered.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 11:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
But how can one "pick apart and try to understand" when there's no evidence to pick apart? There's only rumour and speculation until the planes flight data recorder and CVR are recovered.
There's quite a lot of evidence, even if they never find the flight recorder. For a start the absence of evidence is evidence of a sort, as is the track info, etc.

If you've a background in trying to work stuff out 'without a safety net', there's actually quite a bit that can be inferred, and there would be even more if the 'authorities' were a little more truthful.

As I say, it's a worldview thing
Old Mar 9th 2014, 11:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Exactly. PPrune armchair drivers have really excelled themselves on this one, with the thread starting theories even before the aircraft was actually confirmed missing. Even now there are almost no verified facts.

Incidentally, someone on PPrune said that during a safety training period in the eighties they were told that 5% of all passengers were travelling on false passports or IDs.
Yep. The internet has completely transformed the way we live. The benefits hav been huge - learning, informing, entertaining, working. But on the other hand it has also brought many negatives. For instance, now any asshole with an opinion has a virtually free, limitless, international ability to spread that opinion, viewpoint, theory whatever - just have a read of the comments section of any news article for instance. Nutjob central

A good case in point was the Boston Marathon bombings and its aftermath. Some knobjockeys on reddit (a wanker nerd group jack-off site) took it upon themselves to identify the suspects. In their opinion a noble cause and they found the suspect. Only problem was it was the wrong person - some poor f**ker was 'identified' as a terrorist and it wasn't him. That was a great help to the police and community wasn't it?

Flight AF447 was an Air France A330 that went down in the Atlantic in 2009. I can remember at the time all the speculation about the cause - Someone had a theory, It was out there. Final report concluded that it was icing of the pitot tubes (which measure airspeed) which caused errors in information transmitted to the crew and their mistakes and lack of training in dealing with this - none of this mentioned at the time. All the 'experts' were wrong and I bet there was plenty of shite on reddit too

I'm going to wait on the air safety people on this one
Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yep. The internet has completely transformed the way we live. The benefits hav been huge - learning, informing, entertaining, working. But on the other hand it has also brought many negatives. For instance, now any asshole with an opinion has a virtually free, limitless, international ability to spread that opinion, viewpoint, theory whatever - just have a read of the comments section of any news article for instance. Nutjob central

A good case in point was the Boston Marathon bombings and its aftermath. Some knobjockeys on reddit (a wanker nerd group jack-off site) took it upon themselves to identify the suspects. In their opinion a noble cause and they found the suspect. Only problem was it was the wrong person - some poor f**ker was 'identified' as a terrorist and it wasn't him. That was a great help to the police and community wasn't it?

Flight AF447 was an Air France A330 that went down in the Atlantic in 2009. I can remember at the time all the speculation about the cause - Someone had a theory, It was out there. Final report concluded that it was icing of the pitot tubes (which measure airspeed) which caused errors in information transmitted to the crew and their mistakes and lack of training in dealing with this - none of this mentioned at the time. All the 'experts' were wrong and I bet there was plenty of shite on reddit too

same here. a few possibles going round my head, but its too early ...
Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

But why do that when there's already so much evidence that it was terrorism / shot down / airframe malfunction / electrical problem / suicide / godzilla?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
But why do that when there's already so much evidence that it was terrorism / shot down / airframe malfunction / electrical problem / suicide / godzilla?

You're right D, let's go with the 'expert' mob and their theories

What do air crash investigators know anyway?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:30 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't think it was Colonel Mustard then?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by cresta57
You don't think it was Colonel Mustard then?
Could have been - with a SAM

F**k the lead pipe
Old Mar 9th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I think it's because we can imagine those 2-3 mins of terror that airplane crashes (which are statistically very unlikely) make many if us fearful.

Yep! Absolutely

I think the worst-case scenario for me would be to come down in the sea, and go under whilst still alive, I can't even begin to imagine how I'd feel. The sheer panic and terror, especially if you had your children with you.

You can probably tell I don't like flying Shard I think about this stuff waaaaayyy too much!
Old Mar 9th 2014, 6:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Yep! Absolutely

I think the worst-case scenario for me would be to come down in the sea, and go under whilst still alive, I can't even begin to imagine how I'd feel. The sheer panic and terror, especially if you had your children with you.

You can probably tell I don't like flying Shard I think about this stuff waaaaayyy too much!
I love flying, but think way too much too. That Air France flight that went down off Brazil a few years ago, it was like that (worst case scenario). One can only hope that the impact would knock people out of consciousness.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

In fact the Daily Mail has clarified this morning. The plane disintegrated at 35,000 feet, so that clears that up then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.