Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne is Australia's top holiday destination

Melbourne is Australia's top holiday destination

Old May 28th 2010, 4:32 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne is Australia's top holiday destination

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Half an hour is probably enough.
heh heh...
Old May 28th 2010, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Usually stay with rels but this is a city bolt we like, Breakfree Heritage on little bourke. Quite convenient its right between David Jones and Myer. We stayed in a loft apartment, so cute, as it was on special at the time $99. Its a old building, the old mint I think, and probably needs a good refurbish now, but its hell convenient if you can get it at that price. Wotif is a good start point to check out hotels.

I love old buildings so melb is good, some good exhibitions, pity we have seen the titanic one, fed square usually has someting going on. Good shops, hop on a tram, theres a free one for the main attractions to get you started. Plus all the stuff if you want to drive, great ocean road, dandenongs etc.

Google up 'whats on melbourne' if you havent been before. From the airport there is a city flyer bus, about $30 return right to the city.
I dont know if you've spent a lot of time around Richmond (I personally haven't) but there are some damn interesting main streets around there. It's really good for Vietnamese and South East Asian food. Point is, now that MVictory have moved to the new Bubble dome on Swan St, We'll be spending quite a bit of time around there after the games, "whilst the crowds dissipate" will be our excuse. Lots of new venues to explore

I dont think there is anything on at the new bubble dome this week, but when it's all lit up with the 100's of coloured LED's on the roof, it's a spectacular sight.

BTW.... Melbourne Victory fans have christened the new venue with quite a crude name... it may catch on as well, depends how influential the 22,000 members are.. "Jizz Park" Which basically means they like it...... A lot !
Old May 28th 2010, 5:23 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Point is, now that MVictory have moved to the new Bubble dome on Swan St, We'll be spending quite a bit of time around there after the games, "whilst the crowds dissipate" will be our excuse. Lots of new venues to explore
The Royal hotel near the MCG (on Punt Road) was a very interesting place to visit when we were down for the Ashes.
Old May 28th 2010, 5:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
The Royal hotel near the MCG (on Punt Road) was a very interesting place to visit when we were down for the Ashes.
Is that the one with the 'special' barmaids?
Old May 28th 2010, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yehp we are taking the girls in there, should be quite interesting, they dont know about it yet

I think we may end up getting thrown out. One of the females in our party is quite vociferous. It'll be amusing anyway.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:44 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the best thing we did in Melbourne wasn't in Melbourne at all...it was going to see the penguins at Philip Island! Yes it's cheesy but it's also the sweetest most heartwarming thing I've experienced in a long time! We don't drive so we got an even cheesier bus tour which stopped off to feed kangaroos etc on the way (haha!) but we spent plenty of time at the penguin beach, got a great guided tour and our own guide to talk us through the penguins coming in for the night from the sea, then stopped off at a cute little village on the way back for dinner. Brilliant day all in all.

Highly recommended!

Tx
Old May 28th 2010, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
Actually the best thing we did in Melbourne wasn't in Melbourne at all...it was going to see the penguins at Philip Island! Yes it's cheesy but it's also the sweetest most heartwarming thing I've experienced in a long time! We don't drive so we got an even cheesier bus tour which stopped off to feed kangaroos etc on the way (haha!) but we spent plenty of time at the penguin beach, got a great guided tour and our own guide to talk us through the penguins coming in for the night from the sea, then stopped off at a cute little village on the way back for dinner. Brilliant day all in all.

Highly recommended!

Tx
If one more visitor arrives and expresses an interest in the f*****g penguins I swear I won't hold myself accountable for my response. Last time we gave them the car, our blessings and left them to it.

One outing they kept us waiting too. It was the day workchoices was implemented and I thought something was afoot.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If one more visitor arrives and expresses an interest in the f*****g penguins I swear I won't hold myself accountable for my response. Last time we gave them the car, our blessings and left them to it.

One outing they kept us waiting too. It was the day workchoices was implemented and I thought something was afoot.
Awww the penguins are gorgeous! I prefer the Tassie ones, the ones on Bruny are the friendliest, but any penguin is worth a visit
Old May 28th 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Your lucky, most of our UK visitors want to go and see the Neighbours house ! Even my 22 YO Nephew who had just come back from a tour in Afghanistan.

I've still managed never to go see it

The Penguins is a once in 10 year trip for me... so I've been 3 times thus far, I can understand why UK people get enthralled though.
Old May 28th 2010, 10:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Your lucky, most of our UK visitors want to go and see the Neighbours house ! Even my 22 YO Nephew who had just come back from a tour in Afghanistan.

The Penguins is a once in 10 year trip for me... so I've been 3 times thus far, I can understand why UK people get enthralled though.
Well I've been to 'Ramsay Street' 3 times....and never Phillip Island!
Old May 28th 2010, 11:25 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've been to 'Ramsay Street' 3 times....and never Phillip Island!
Yeah but tis a long cycle to Phillip island to deliver the morning papers
Old May 28th 2010, 11:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Yeah but tis a long cycle to Phillip island to deliver the morning papers
I'd rather see Bouncer than penguins anyway!
Old May 28th 2010, 12:52 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I think anyone would be enthralled by the penguins! (not just UK people!! ). I guess anything would be boring if you've done it enough times...like going to Kew gardens EVERY time my parents come over from Ireland. *yawn*

They are REALLY cute though....
Old May 28th 2010, 1:02 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Pours drinks by the hour sort of bar maid?
Old May 28th 2010, 7:30 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
I think anyone would be enthralled by the penguins! (not just UK people!! ). I guess anything would be boring if you've done it enough times...like going to Kew gardens EVERY time my parents come over from Ireland. *yawn*

They are REALLY cute though....
Who's cute,yer parents or the penguins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.