Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne is Australia's top holiday destination

Melbourne is Australia's top holiday destination

Old May 27th 2010, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne is Australia's top holiday destination

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Off there on sunday birthday gift to myself.

I am hoping its at its grey graffita gloomy grotty gangland best I love the city side of it, it had better not be sunny when its grey there I can almost pretend I am in a small UK city

Shops there are probably the best for what OZ has to offer too. I feel the need for shoes.

Anything great on there at the moment, exhibitions etc??

If you want to feel really cold, go on the Willamstown Ferry from Southbank, have a butchers around Willy and then come back via Train.... Some interesting contrasts with that trip
Old May 27th 2010, 10:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I might come out of (BE) splendid isolation and buy this meek boy a drink! ;-)
MEEK
Old May 27th 2010, 12:10 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Still not sure what we are going to do in August this year.....
why not spend a week in Brisbane, see the sights.
Old May 27th 2010, 1:36 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Half an hour is probably enough.
Old May 27th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

You people are too obsessed with cities.

When I travel I don't give a toss about the concrete. When I go to Melbourne its to go bushwalking in the Dandenongs, or go to French Island.

When I visit Brisbane its to go to D'aguilar NP, when I visit Adelaide its to go to Belair NP and when I visit the Gold Coast its to go to Springbrook NP.

Stop obsessing over stupid things like shops and buildings.
Old May 27th 2010, 3:18 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy

When I travel I don't give a toss about the concrete. When I go to Melbourne its to go bushwalking in the Dandenongs, or go to French Island.

When I visit Brisbane its to go to D'aguilar NP, when I visit Adelaide its to go to Belair NP and when I visit the Gold Coast its to go to Springbrook NP.

I reckon Aborigional people had the right idea.

We are all suckers. Working long hours just so we can pay our huge mortgages and buy the latest iPad.
Old May 27th 2010, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I've been there a couple of times I enjoyed myself around the river and did a few walks around the City.
Old May 27th 2010, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy

Personally I think City vistas change more than bush ones. I'd love to share your enthusiasm, I've had holiday dwellings in places on the Murray and on the Goulburn before, but always found myself bored silly after a few days. I think places like Wilsons Prom are incredibly beautiful, but to spend more than 3 or 4 days there would send me crazy. I reckon I could go to Sydney for 3 weeks and not be bored.

Viva la difference though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 27th 2010 at 3:25 pm.
Old May 27th 2010, 3:25 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Perhaps the reason Melbourne has become a popular holiday destination is they've all MOVED up to live in SEQld?... and therefore fly back for holidays to visit those who havent been able to head north yet and are still trapped back in VIC?
Old May 27th 2010, 3:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Half an hour is probably enough.
Old May 27th 2010, 3:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Perhaps the reason Melbourne has become a popular holiday destination is they've all MOVED up to live in SEQld?... and therefore fly back for holidays to visit those who havent been able to head north yet and are still trapped back in VIC?
Personally I love Melbourne. For me, it's easily the most vibrant city in Australia.
Old May 27th 2010, 3:54 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne is Australia's top holiday destination

Hmm it wasn't so long ago -

I've reached the conclusion that Australia is absolutely 'tinpot'.
So clearly SEQLD is not quite the place it's cracked up to be .

When I was on holiday in Vanuatu recently I met three families who had moved from Melbourne to Brisbane in the previous few years.

All three were desperate to move back to Melbourne. Among the reasons cited was they were missing intelligent conversation that did not revolve around Fishing, Shooting things or Beer.

BB
Old May 27th 2010, 4:12 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
...So clearly SEQLD is not quite the place it's cracked up to be .
Indeed - but for some reason people keep moving here.. Particularly from Melbourne.

I'm not saying SEQ is the best place on earth - far from it - but surely its not too far fetched to conclude that these too facts may be related:

1) Migration from VIC to SEQ increases.
2) Holidaying increases to VIC at expense of SEQ.

In fact I might go as far as to say that its completely unavoidable that as the population in SEQ grows relative to other ares that domestic tourism to SEQ relative to other areas will drop (who wants to holiday in their own backyard all the time?)

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
...missing intelligent conversation that did not revolve around Fishing, Shooting things or Beer.
Dont think I've ever had an intelligent conversation revolving around fishing or beer (not topics that get discussed much as far as I can tell outside of local TV newsrooms)- but I reckon the ONLY conversations I've had about shooting have been pseudo-intelligent debates that have gone off on philosphical tangents!

Last edited by DadAgain; May 27th 2010 at 4:16 pm.
Old May 27th 2010, 4:27 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed - but for some reason people keep moving here.. Particularly from Melbourne.
This is something that people in SE Qld often like to talk (or complain) about. The fact is that tap was switched off a long time ago.

Overseas migration & natural increase now accounts for the vast majority of population growth in Qld - not sure that Victoria is the main source of interstate migrants either, although popular opinion in Qld would suggest otherwise.
Old May 27th 2010, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Its OH's 40th birthday at the end of September, so we're having a long weekend in Melbourne.

Any suggestions of reasonable hotels? Things to do and see?

For my 40th, we had a long weekend in Sydney (we were in Qld at the time) and stayed at the Novotel on Darling Harbour - so something similarly priced/positioned would be magnifique

I know, I don't ask for much.

Usually stay with rels but this is a city bolt we like, Breakfree Heritage on little bourke. Quite convenient its right between David Jones and Myer. We stayed in a loft apartment, so cute, as it was on special at the time $99. Its a old building, the old mint I think, and probably needs a good refurbish now, but its hell convenient if you can get it at that price. Wotif is a good start point to check out hotels.

I love old buildings so melb is good, some good exhibitions, pity we have seen the titanic one, fed square usually has someting going on. Good shops, hop on a tram, theres a free one for the main attractions to get you started. Plus all the stuff if you want to drive, great ocean road, dandenongs etc.

Google up 'whats on melbourne' if you havent been before. From the airport there is a city flyer bus, about $30 return right to the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.