Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mateship. Load of Bollocks?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: is 'mateship' in Australia special or unique?
yes (you got a problem with that MATE?)
13.95%
no (load of bollocks)
86.05%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Mateship. Load of Bollocks?

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:40 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mateship. Load of Bollocks?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm fairly certain it's come up before but possibly not independently of any thing else. I seem to remember something about horses. Can we not though, please?
Ahhh was that the “neigh” bours thread?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Ahhh was that the “neigh” bours thread?
When are you off to where there is no internet again?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:45 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
There was one not that long ago. You must have been busy with TE's bottom again.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718911
Im avoiding TEs rear, as its the Jewish Sabbath and its against their religion to covert what you cannot fit on your own low loader.

Love the line in that thread:

"A vet who examined the goat said it was "subdued" by the assault but was not suffering long-term injury.

British Transport Police Detective Inspector Dave Crinnion, who investigated, said: "I saw the goat the next day ? it did not seem too upset but it is difficult to tell."
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:47 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
There was one not that long ago. You must have been busy with TE's bottom again.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718911
I didn't feel a thing. Was it front or back bottom?

Incidentally O'Tool. My arse is perfectly proportioned.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:47 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
When are you off to where there is no internet again?
Apparently there IS internet connectivity, so wipe away those tears….

There are also bars and even a nightclub. Not bad for an island 800m wide and with one road.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 12:53 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer

I wouldnt know.

Edited to add: maaaaate.

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Jun 3rd 2011 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:07 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

People cringe at it rather than feel hard done by. Many Australians I know find it embarrassing. I think the worse case is the comparisons of the QLD floods to other disasters.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I haven't read all the replies - but the critique of mateship has been done to death on this forum, IMHO.

My view is that anyone who feels hard done by and somehow thinks that Australians are trying to claim it as their only personal property has missed the point. They're choosing to focus on their own history that is all. The old country did it with the London Blitz.

Look on any sports team, military sub-unit, tightly knit group in Australia (and overseas, naturally) and you will find a particular brand of mates and mateship. It's 'comradeship' and Australians talk about it because their settler country was forged and formed through 'tough' conditions and at war via the outback legends and ANZAC tradition....and it's part of blue-collar worker culture.

That's all there is to it.

Whether or not a mate might stab you in the back is everyone's to look out for...and if that bloke brushes past you to get on the tram in Collins Street ahead of you..well - that's life.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:45 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
People cringe at it rather than feel hard done by. Many Australians I know find it embarrassing. I think the worse case is the comparisons of the QLD floods to other disasters.

I just don't think it exists in the way the the maaaate brigade would like it to.

I haven't read many of the preceding threads, but my experience of Australian maaaateship is that everybody is your mate, right up to the point that you are watering your garden with a hose 30 microseconds after the legal cut off, where you can pretty much guarantee that your maaaate will be on the phone to the dob in line...

S
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:08 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I just don't think it exists in the way the the maaaate brigade would like it to.

I haven't read many of the preceding threads, but my experience of Australian maaaateship is that everybody is your mate, right up to the point that you are watering your garden with a hose 30 microseconds after the legal cut off, where you can pretty much guarantee that your maaaate will be on the phone to the dob in line...

S
again, another thread methinks, regarding the nanny state culture in Oz, and yet another debating the notion that Aussies are a nation of anti-establishment larrikins...
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

S
Sounds fairly accurate. Big gap between at one end of the scale the Aussie idea of a "mate" and at the other someone who is a true friend.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:42 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool

British Transport Police Detective Inspector Dave Crinnion, who investigated, said: "I saw the goat the next day ? it did not seem too upset but it is difficult to tell."[/I]
Doesn't that just scream out that someone from the press just asked a very stupid question.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:43 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

That's for you and slaphead
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:17 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

S
There's 'dob in' lines aplenty here... Way of making more public sector jobs?? After Yasi the government chucked pocket money at everyone willy nilly without, it seems, even looking at where the cyclone tracked, and at the same time launched a 'dob in' line so you can shit on your neighbours accepting handouts they didn't 'deserve'. A honey trap with the only winner being the administration budget.

Good example - tried to karma you but you seem to be impenetrable so here you are.

<karma>

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jun 4th 2011 at 11:21 am.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=unfair dinkum;9406635]Aussies seem to have this perception (IMO) that mateship is a uniquely Aussie characteristic, along with 'fair go', and 'she'll be right'

TBH, I think it's an insult to everyone's intelligence, do you?[/QUOTE

the harsh reality here is.............love it or leave..

Last edited by aston; Jun 4th 2011 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

There's 'dob in' lines aplenty here... Way of making more public sector jobs?? After Yasi the government chucked pocket money at everyone willy nilly without, it seems, even looking at where the cyclone tracked, and at the same time launched a 'dob in' line so you can shit on your neighbours accepting handouts they didn't 'deserve'. A honey trap with the only winner being the administration budget.

Good example - tried to karma you but you seem to be impenetrable so here you are.

<karma>
To Dob someone in,in the way distant past was one of the most Un Australian acts that could be commited.
These days even in the work place it is done with almost pride. Not much team work or looking after work mates there,especially if some benefit to the Dobbers future prospects, may be a possible longer term result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.