Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mateship. Load of Bollocks?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: is 'mateship' in Australia special or unique?
yes (you got a problem with that MATE?)
13.95%
no (load of bollocks)
86.05%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Mateship. Load of Bollocks?

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:32 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mateship. Load of Bollocks?

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
Plenty of stuff being discussed, I don't see any whinging tbh.
Nah, if I think something is bullshit, I say so.
In this case, it's the fallacy that Aussies are 'special' in their ability to display loyalty, empathy, compassion and altruism (all things which are implied in the concept of mateship). It's a form of inverted racism........?
All nationalities think they have some special ability that is actually common to other nationalities.

I can't see what's wrong with it. If it encourages some people to be nice to others then it's better than a kick in the arse.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:36 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rambi
All nationalities think they have some special ability that is actually common to other nationalities.

I can't see what's wrong with it. If it encourages some people to be nice to others then it's better than a kick in the arse.
And yet you voted 'bollocks'
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:38 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

And yet you voted 'bollocks'
I was answering the question. It is not special or unique to Australians. (As per my previous statement "All nationalities think they have some special ability that is actually common to other nationalities")

Just like a sense of humour or being stoic isn't special or unique to Brits.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:42 pm

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

I was answering the question. It is not special or unique to Australians. (As per my previous statement "All nationalities think they have some special ability that is actually common to other nationalities")

Just like a sense of humour or being stoic isn't special or unique to Brits.
Fair do's
I'm right then
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of stuff being discussed, I don't see any whinging tbh.
Nah, if I think something is bullshit, I say so.
In this case, it's the fallacy that Aussies are 'special' in their ability to display loyalty, empathy, compassion and altruism (all things which are implied in the concept of mateship). It's a form of inverted racism........?
Whinging, complaining, criticism, it's all one & the same quite often on here!
If it's not the price of lettuce, bananas, coffee shop opening hours etc etc, it's something else!

I don't mind the use of the word mate, I use it occasionally. The concept of mateship is a nice thing. Is it exclusively Australian? No but so what? Why does it really matter?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:47 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Fair do's
I'm right then
You are right that it's not special or unique. It is quite common in other nationalities. But as I said I can't see any harm in promoting it as a national trait. It's better than promoting that Brits have a sense of humour as I've met many who make the mistake of thinking they're funny when they are just rude or boorish.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
If it's not the price of lettuce, bananas, coffee shop opening hours etc etc, it's something else!

I don't mind the use of the word mate, I use it occasionally. The concept of mateship is a nice thing. Is it exclusively Australian? No but so what? Why does it really matter?
It doesn't. Just like lots of things that people get 'twitchy' about.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You are right that it's not special or unique. It is quite common in other nationalities. But as I said I can't see any harm in promoting it as a national trait. It's better than promoting that Brits have a sense of humour as I've met many who make the mistake of thinking they're funny when they are just rude or boorish.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:59 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair go to the battlers. This thread is unaustralian. If mateship is an army thing then it goes with soggy Sao.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
This thread is unaustralian..
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It doesn't. Just like lots of things that people get 'twitchy' about.
Cor dear!
Touchy? Much?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Cor dear!
Touchy? Much?
Don't attempt to try and 'read' me. You'll be off base most of the time.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:05 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Fair do's
I'm right then
You're letting him wriggle off the hook far too easily!
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cor dear!
Touchy? Much?
So, if someone disagrees or challenges you they must be 'touchy'. Interesting!
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:50 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

Hate being called mate. The next person to do it is going to get a good old fashioned stabbing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.