Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Margaret Thatcher is dead

Margaret Thatcher is dead

Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher is dead

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I don't blame Tony Blair for Iraq. Whoever was in power at the time would have done the same.
What makes you think we like Blair???
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:37 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

As a young nurse I marched through London chanting Maggie Maggie Maggie Out Out Out!

However she's dead now R.I.P and as a woman who became the first female prime minister I admire her guts.
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jon77
It was enforced hardship without any safety net or plan for what to do afterwards.

In 1986 Thatcher took a walk in the wilderness on Teesside (an area of industry that she closed down 5 years earlier) and promised to regenerate it, this is still a massive area of rubble to this day.

It broke my grandfathers heart, this was where his factory stood until he was made redundant in 1981. He was a proud man and proud of his work, he was never the same after that.

Hardship never needs to be enforced, only by those in comfortable home county villages who were miles away and didn't get to see the reality of it all.

And what we have now in the North of England is call centers offering low pay and low security, there is no manufacturing and little skilled work.
If those industries were viable they would have survived. Uneconomic industries can only be propped up for so long. Same as car industry here in Australia, it will die eventually, $300 million going into Holden would be better spent on reskilling programs and grants to new enterprises. What needs to happen is adaption and regeneration.
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for the delay responding ... I heard an hour or so ago and have been so busy ...

I am so absolutely pissed and happy.

I found some party poppers and sparklers and have been running around the yard naked.

I hope the bitch died screaming.

The Witch Is Dead.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

If those industries were viable they would have survived. Uneconomic industries can only be propped up for so long. Same as car industry here in Australia, it will die eventually, $300 million going into Holden would be better spent on reskilling programs and grants to new enterprises. What needs to happen is adaption and regeneration.
Last I heard Coal is rather profitable now! She closed them for ideological reasons only EO.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

. What needs to happen is adaption and regeneration.
Which is what didn't happen, they were thrown on the scrap heap.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

She increased unemployment rates by the MILLIONS, double digit interest rates close to 15%+, increased homelessness and recessions not to mention other poll tax which caused such violence....it just goes on and on.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

In conclusion I can proudly say that (in her own words) I am a proud 'enemy within'.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:50 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I feel as if I should feel compassion. I am feeling about as much compassion as she felt for the miners.
The only sadness I feel is for the communites she destroyed and the legacy of a "me me me" society that she left behind.
I cannot think of a single thing she did that I liked (though I am feeling pretty good about what she did today).

Cheers,

DagBoy (who?)
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Great Lady, You were the strongest leader The former Great Britian had since Sir Winston Churchill, Sleep Well
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:03 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I feel as if I should feel compassion. I am feeling about as much compassion as she felt for the miners.
The only sadness I feel is for the communites she destroyed and the legacy of a "me me me" society that she left behind.
I cannot think of a single thing she did that I liked (though I am feeling pretty good about what she did today).

Cheers,

DagBoy (who?)
Wow now here's a blast from the past!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
RIP Great Lady, You were the strongest leader The former Great Britian had since Sir Winston Churchill, Sleep Well
They had better be careful where she's buried and have it guarded or she will NOT rest in peace - there's millions of angry brits out there who'd love to...
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

columnist Kevin Maguire writes that while Margaret Thatcher's children deserve our sympathies, there are no tears for Thatcherism.
"Opponents, including me, remember the poverty, riots, mass unemployment, strife, grotesque growth of inequality, seeds of the banking crisis and destruction of the mining industry and communities.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rajj
She increased unemployment rates by the MILLIONS, double digit interest rates close to 15%+, increased homelessness and recessions not to mention other poll tax which caused such violence....it just goes on and on.
In 1979 the winter of discontent, three-day week, beer & sandwiches, wildcat strikes, IMF bailout, and on the edge of hyper-inflation. The country was bankrupted by a Labour government in 1979 and then repeated again by surprise, surprise another Labour government under Gordon 'no return to boom & bust' Brown
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:26 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy

Cheers,

DagBoy (who?)
Yep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.