Manners!

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:59 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Manners!

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
.............and, if you are anything like me, then apologise for being in the way

yes
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:02 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Isn't it infuriating? Whenever I go down an aisle, and there are people blocking the way, I always say :excuse me please" and "thank-you" when they move. They still look at me as if I've got a bloody nerve asking them to move!

I initially found it very difficult to be rude, because I am a polite person (honest, I am!) but now I don't.

i must admit to now talking over people!!! and i swear i wouldnt do that, but i can never get a word in edgeways!!!! so have to continue talking, as i am being spoken to! i will have to make a concious effort not to do it back in england
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:06 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon I shall need etiquette lessons if ever we return!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:25 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Christ!

I have met rude people all over the world. Even in the UK.
I have noticed no proliferation of 'ruder' people here where I live than I did in England. In fact, people are MORE pleasant here than where I lived in the UK.

Where there are people, there is rudeness and other human attributes. I know plenty of pleasant, well mannered Australians and those that aren't, I ignore, just as I did in the UK.

This mb is going down the pan.

Last edited by iPom; Jan 22nd 2007 at 4:28 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:54 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
Christ!

I know plenty of pleasant, well mannered Australians and those that aren't, I ignore, just as I did in the UK.
I have yet to meet a downright rude Australian... plenty of incompetent ones in the stores for sure... but never rude.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I have yet to meet a downright rude Australian... plenty of incompetent ones in the stores for sure... but never rude.
My mother used to say something along the lines 'When you're perfect yourself, then you are in a position to criticise.'
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:02 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

This mb is going down the pan.
You must be perfect
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother used to say something along the lines 'When you're perfect yourself, then you are in a position to criticise.'

Well I'm OK then. Who would you like me to criticise?.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
You must be perfect
I think you'll find that's a statement of fact, Fraser, not a criticism.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well I'm OK then. .
You are indeed, Creature.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:06 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find that's a statement of fact, Fraser, not a criticism.
Fair enough
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:25 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Only the other day there was a heavily pregnant woman standing at the side of the road with a little kid waiting to cross, no bugger stopped so I did.
Did she thank me, of course not she didn't even acknowledge me.
Well good on ya mate for stopping - shows good character
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:09 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

But there is a big difference between perfection and basic good manners. I like to think that I have those and I find it difficult to not get upset by those people who don't.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:42 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
i personally find that the aussies do not seem to have been brought up with the same emphasis on manners as other countries (thats me trying to be polite ). in some ways, they can be polite. BUT, the occassions that we take for granted, where manners can be used, just does not happen over here. they think they are not being rude, its just how australia and its people are. i also get annoyed when people dont acknowledge that you have let them cross the road/let them out of a side street into the flow of traffic etc etc. i find it infuriating because i am always drumming it into my kids heads, manners dont cost anything and manners will go a long way. they have been brought up to say please and thankyou and i often receive comments on how nice my childrens manners are. then they see people hardly using their manners as the norm. i hope these manners they have doesnt dissipate the longer we live here.
Well I'm an Aussie, I like to think that I have good manners and I am passing those manners over to my son.

We are not all the same, maybe it's good manners not to paint us all with the same brush?

ZX......
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
But there is a big difference between perfection and basic good manners. I like to think that I have those and I find it difficult to not get upset by those people who don't.
yes it can be quite difficult to be tolerant of those who are so different to ourselves eh

It is back to my favourite subject of generalising again isn't it. I have been here about 11 months less than you and I can honestly say I haven't experienced any of the things you have and we live 10km apart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.