Major Dog Dilema!

Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Major Dog Dilema!

Originally Posted by audrey426
Hi there,

Major dilema, I have two dogs who by the time my visa is through, will be 9.5 year s old. One is a highly strung German Shepherd, other is a wee shitzu.
Whilst the cost of relocating them is eye watering, i would be prepared to pay. The GS coming with us is just not going to be feasable (came home today to an eaten kitchen door) and thats not the only damage she has done to the house in past, what do I do?
Having been a dog warden for 10years, I know the reality of getting a good second home, and also have witnessed various cruelty cases over the years. This dog has been with me since a puppy through thick and thin, she hates loud noise, has to be inside house at nite etc. Its absolutly heart breaking making a decision, do i try rehome? or do I take the advice of one vet, to destroy her? I cant bare destroying her, but will it be crueler to try rehoming when all she has known is me and the children? How is anyone going to understand all her little ways and fears. I just have visions of her ending up in a shed or worse rehoming shelters, she will just go to pieces. Shepherds are very much one man dogs. Her age is a major factor as Shepherds dont norm make double figures. Ive given her a fantastic life should i be the one to end it? any one in similar situation?
Hi Audrey - we were in a similar situation recently. Our female kelpie x is 17 years old, and due to her age, decided against taking her with us when we relocate to Dubai next week. A couple of months ago, we made up a flyer with a lovely photo of her and a story about her plight. We emailed it to everyone in our address book, plus to some local vet clinics etc. The response was good, we even received emails from friends of friends because people had in turn passed our email on to suitable friends.

Anyway to cut a long story short - some very old friends of ours decided to take her in for us as a companion for their elderly dog and elderly dad who lives in a granny flat at their house. Our dog is very spoilt and likes to sleep inside most of the time. She went to live with them about four weeks ago to make sure she settled in before we left. We've been to visit her three or four times since and she's settled in well. The new family love her and though it's sad to leave her (we've had her since birth as she's the pup of another family dog) we know she's in good hands.

Good luck with finding a new family for your dog.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

Hi Audrey, wow, this is a tough call, but i'd try the rehoming option and seek out German Shepherd rescue for help, these organisations can be wonderful at finding the RIGHT homes for older dogs.Failing that, and if you can possibly do it, why not take her? Or is the kennel issue gouing to prove too much? Personally I could not bear the thought of leaving my two behind, but I understand thats just my opinion, and perhaps the vets etc have valid reasons for their advice.Whatever you do im sure will be with a kind heart and the dogs best interests in mind and I wish you well.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Hi i know that this isnt really going to be much help, we to had a dog he is a 4 year old bordercollie, and he is really lovely. But we did make the upsetting decision of re homing him. Even though he was house trained great with kids etc some times he could get a bit panicked and start flying about if it was environment that he wasnt used to as he was reliant on the people he knew. We put the word out that we were relocating and through a friend we met a lovely family who were looking for a companian for their other collie, we didnt just hand him over we took him over there a few times went for walks with them etc till he new where he was and who they were, well now he is completly in love with his new buddie and is actually i think getting more atention as they take both dogs every where with them. I think if your dog gets stressed then maybe it isnt the best thing to put it through the flight its a long time and then you have the wait in quarantine on the other side, i would go with your gut instinct on this one, try to rehome if you can but really if its going to be too stressful for the dog even rehoming it then may be you have to be kind and do the right thing. PM if you want a chat
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

audrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really nice

Hi again

When the incident happened, she had full access to huge garden, and utility room, she opened the utility door, and ate the kitchen door, through to rest of house??!! it was during the day, i was out shopping. Went out teatime last nite for 2 hours, again let the back door open to garden came home and she had eaten the utility door! At end of tether, in middle of trying selling house, dont need this , the animal has blown it! Oh and have had a week of getting up to pools of urine and sh**! every morning, she has obviously flipped her lid!
At the end of day, i cant pass on her problems to anyone else.
I am absolutly livid the now!
I have a 1 year old and two other kids, that need to be amused, i am now in a position i can t go out and leave her,this is ridiculous!
Vet on Monday.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

I think really deep down you know that you have already made your mind up, yuo have to do the right thing by the animal, it cant be good for her mentaly to be distructive when you leave her, and as for the mess when you come down stairs in the morning well thats not healthy for you and your children. You know that you have given her the best home that you can for the time that you have had her its not that you dont love her but sometimes these things as sad as they are do have to be done, chin up it will be ok. Over the years i have had many animals cats , dogs, horses, duck, pigs, rabbits and the list goes on and i think there comes a time when you have to forget what your heart wants you to do and go with your head.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

audrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really niceaudrey426 is just really nice

thanks for that x
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi i have sent you a pm
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:06 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

It is a dilemma, does sound like youve made your mind up but dont do it in anger, she may well 'be losing it' now and the messing etc just a sign of it.
I had to have my old girl put to sleep before we came, i looked at rehoming but it was not an option, she was 12, blind, arthritic, and had started having accidents. I feel guilty etc and desperately miss her but i know it really was for the best, whether i emigrated or not.
I rehomed my younger dog, 7yr old lhasa apso with family and hes so happy - rules their house...my old girl was the boss in our house so he never got to be top dog til we left him
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

How can you think of not taking a dog you have had since a pup??? Something I could never do..

We are taking our 2 over in October/November even though they both cost us nothing and we are having to pay £4000 to ship them.

Find a way to accommodate her "quirks"...
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

good for you! I hope your dogs are ok at the other end! You obviously have never seen an animal in severe stress. Think you should do a bit of homework before being so judgemental. You do realise they will be in the hold with no human contact, (bar a water top up) and are not allowed to be sedated, you try sitting in a crate for 20 plus hours,no food just water when so much as a firework going of terrifies the life out of you, with no means of escape. Would you let you house to an owner of a dog that can eat through copper? DONT THINK SO.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by audrey426
good for you! I hope your dogs are ok at the other end! You obviously have never seen an animal in severe stress. Think you should do a bit of homework before being so judgemental. You do realise they will be in the hold with no human contact, (bar a water top up) and are not allowed to be sedated, you try sitting in a crate for 20 plus hours,no food just water when so much as a firework going of terrifies the life out of you, with no means of escape. Would you let you house to an owner of a dog that can eat through copper? DONT THINK SO.
I've had dogs all my life and have a dog who did similar things to yours. Still would never have left her, especially after a long time. Would rather have stayed where I was until she was no longer around.

Good luck sorting things out..
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Audrey, you know what is best for your dog. Your dog does get very very stressed and i dont think it is kind to put her through the flight and then the quaran tine at the other end, you will make the right choice.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:12 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

I too have a major effin dog dilemma.

Do you you realise they are selling Puppy's milk at IGA????

Disgusting!
Attached Thumbnails Major Dog Dilema!-puppy-milk-cropped.jpg  
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Sharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the rough

Hi Audrey,
What a sad dilema, I've sent you a PM,
S x
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

thehowarths will become famous soon enoughthehowarths will become famous soon enough

Hi - I fully understand your dilemma. I've also pm'd you.

Take care

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.