Major Dog Dilema!

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice
Default Re: Major Dog Dilema!

Hi my daughter shipped her GS who was terrified of whistles and fireworks and loud noises from Oz to Uk when she was 12 years old and becoming a wee bit stiff in the joints...We were worried she would not survive the trip but daughter could not face leaving her behind or having her sent to the great dog kennel in the sky.....so happily paid for her to travel to UK.....and this dog was terrified of loud noises.......she would even try to get into the shower with you if she heard one.
Anyway she made the trip and came out on the other side direct from the flight to daughter picking her up and she settled wonderfully...she had far better movement over there as we later found out her condition was aggravated by hot weather !!! and she was no longer scared of loud noises....she had another 3 happy years with my daughter in UK until last year when sadly she went to doggy heaven......
My daughter now does volunteer work with "Second Chances" german shepherd rescue in Scotland and has rehomed many poor wee GS's.....if you really can not see yourselves taking her with you then I would say contact a GS rescue near where you live hopefully you will find her a loving home b4 you leave.....Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:31 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spilko
I've had dogs all my life and have a dog who did similar things to yours. Still would never have left her, especially after a long time. Would rather have stayed where I was until she was no longer around.

Good luck sorting things out..
We too had dogs all of our life (both at home with our parents and after we were married), in fact can't remember ever not having a dog or 2. We re-homed ours before we came... 1 border terrier my parents took for us and 2 Italian Spinone who we re-homed as a pair. We sorted the spins out a few months before we left so we could be sure they settled etc and we didn't need to find them somewhere else. It's not an easy choice but it was the right one for us and the dogs. They had been used to living in a huge garden (2/3rds acre) and having the run of a closed yard while we were at work. To bring them here when we had no idea of where we'd end up living, what hours we'd end up working, what jobs we'd have, if we'd have time to spend on them were all taken into account and we don't regret our decision AT ALL. If we were to move countries again, I believe we'd do the same thing again. Ultimately, they are pets with shorter lifespans than ours...decisions may be hard, but they aren't necessarily wrong.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

vicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nice

trouble is u just dont know how any animal will react in a plane, even for a short journey and if an animal is very nervous it would be a big worry. i think sometimes we r selfish wanting to take our pets with us (me included) as we love them so much but is it really best for them? i know that we think only we could love our pets and treat them in the best way possible, but sometimes you may be lucky and find a really wonderful home. it does sound as though the trauma would be just too much to bear for this poor dog. shame cesar milan couldnt take him on.

hope it all works out for the best.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:19 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicki t
trouble is u just dont know how any animal will react in a plane.
This is a very good point. My cat Gordon has become very clingy and 'needy' since he came out of quarantine.

Don't get me wrong, the girls at Byford were the best but who knows what a 24 hour flight, being kept in a wooden box, experiencing the noise of being airside at an airport, being loaded onto a plane, loaded off at Singapore, loaded on again, loaded off at Perth and then being placed in a cat pen at Byford could do to a little cat.

Gordon cannot stand to have us out of his sight, he cries noisily if we are in the bedroom and stands on his hind legs digging at the door for hours on end.

He sits at our living room window waiting for us to come home and when you see him, his little pink mouth opening and closing as he is shouting.

Last night my husband came home from work and Gordon was like a bloody dog - meowwing at the window, digging the glass with his front paws and almost tripping Mr PP up when he came in.

In quarantine, when I was cuddling him, I tried to put him down and he had his paws wrapped around my neck, he refused to let go and was clinging to me screaming - it was so sad. I had to stay in there for a few more minutes to settle him.

Then through the window I would watch his face, resigned to the fact he wasn't getting out, he would climb back up to his watch-tower and disappear out of sight.

It took two nights of him being unsettled and needing one of us to sleep downstairs to reassure him when he came out of quarantine.

I am glad I brought him, I am in total awe of the little cat that flew to Australia but I will not be complacent in saying it was easy - at least not for him.

For we don't know what the REALLY does to our animals and the effect it has on their behaviour.

As soon as we have our own place, we are going to rescue a kitten from the RSPCA so Gordon will have company.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
Some very valid points from everyone.

Heres another thought, whats she like during the day on her own outside?

If we get a dog eventually he/she will be outside during the day and in at night.

If you had a huge garden with plenty of shelter would that be a problem?

Cx
That has worked well for us too..although our boy , a wemeraner is not a problem dog he hated being outside in the U.k..here he loves it and we have trouble getting him in to sleep at night at times. he has a big comfy bed outside and has big garden, sun or shelter and has adapted really wel..
We definately made the right decision bringing him. I ahve never seen him happier on his daily runs on the beach.

if you decide not to bringhim then please consider the rescue homes for certain breeds, there are many around and also the media advertising sounds good......am sure you will find a good home that way. good luck