Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Legal Same-Sex Marriage coming to Australia?

Legal Same-Sex Marriage coming to Australia?

Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:29 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal Same-Sex Marriage coming to Australia?

Originally Posted by keel
In my book, and as it's been pointed out this is a very old book, marriage is between a man and a women.

Keel
You obviously haven't been to regional Queensland....
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
You know what though, as long as it is concentual and both parties are happy - go marry your dog, your hamster or whatever - it really would not bother me one iota. (But you may need to work on the vows, and the responses may need a little tweaking)
Of course it's consentual. You just have to look into her eyes.

I'm glad it doesn't bother you.

Keel
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:36 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
You obviously haven't been to regional Queensland....
Try Cooroy or gympie
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:51 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Try Cooroy or gympie
I was thinking Mareeba where the banjoes are very loud. But basically anywhere 50km west of the coast will do. You're either running from the cops or you've married your uncle/aunt/car.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

lloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nice

Yes they can try, just as the homo's and lesbians are trying to convince the politicians to make it legal.

Marriage is more than a legal bit of paper. In my book, and as it's been pointed out this is a very old book, marriage is between a man and a women.

Keel

Well, if a very old book tells you that, then let the people who follow that very old book stick to their version of marriage.

State-sanctioned marriages should be defined by the Government, which is in turn defined by the people, and not by some old book.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:53 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they can try, just as the homo's and lesbians are trying to convince the politicians to make it legal.

Marriage is more than a legal bit of paper. In my book, and as it's been pointed out this is a very old book, marriage is between a man and a women.

Keel
Do you follow everything it says in the Bible?

For the record, although I'm not a Church goer, I like to think of myself as Christian - I certainly endeavour to uphold Christian values which boil down to 'do unto others as you would have others do unto you'.

Ahhh Christianity... its certainly handy to ignore that whole Old Testament bloody thirsty God when you want to
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:59 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Try Cooroy or gympie
Both of those towns, funnily enough, were founded & settled by Irish immigrants during the gold rush. The new settlements needed a lot of holes dug & there's non better than a Mick for digging a hole. Apparently all they did was tell them there were potatoes here, just a bit deeper than usual.
Of course they brought their own customs & traditions along with them. Like buggering small boys & animals for example.
Isn't history fascinating.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:17 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw

For the record, although I'm not a Church goer, I like to think of myself as Christian - I certainly endeavour to uphold Christian values which boil down to 'do unto others as you would have others do unto you'.

Ahhh Christianity... its certainly handy to ignore that whole Old Testament bloody thirsty God when you want to
I used to think like that - putting christian values on a pedestal. If you look at the behavior of Christians over the past 2000 years, from slaughtering the infidel, to turning a convenient blind eye to Hitler's little faux pas with the Semites - not really a good role model imo. For women it is even worse - I can't for the life of me understand how they can cite Christianity as a good model - the major female characters in that fictional work called the bible are either whores or virgins.

I also find it strange how Jesus is right there in the story as a we babe, with all the tiny details of first hand experience like what he was wearing, where he slept, what animals turned up for his birth, even what a local innkeeper said etc - then disappears for a few decades - information becomes a little sparse. Did he not do anything in particular for those years? Did the healing / miracle working only come later? Was he a late starter? As the Bible is God's word - did God not know where his son was? And don't even talk of the Old Testament - the one about the creation of the world, a world where T.Rex, and other groups, never existed. Almost as if it was written by men who didn't yet know about dinosaurs because they hadn't been discovered.

If you are a devout Christian, don't be offended, just be smug in the knowledge that you are right.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I used to think like that - putting christian values on a pedestal. If you look at the behavior of Christians over the past 2000 years, from slaughtering the infidel, to turning a convenient blind eye to Hitler's little faux pas with the Semites - not really a good role model imo. For women it is even worse - I can't for the life of me understand how they can cite Christianity as a good model - the major female characters in that fictional work called the bible are either whores or virgins.

I also find it strange how Jesus is right there in the story as a we babe, with all the tiny details of first hand experience like what he was wearing, where he slept, what animals turned up for his birth, even what a local innkeeper said etc - then disappears for a few decades - information becomes a little sparse. Did he not do anything in particular for those years? Did the healing / miracle working only come later? Was he a late starter? As the Bible is God's word - did God not know where his son was? And don't even talk of the Old Testament - the one about the creation of the world, a world where T.Rex, and other groups, never existed. Almost as if it was written by men who didn't yet know about dinosaurs because they hadn't been discovered.

If you are a devout Christian, don't be offended, just be smug in the knowledge that you are right.
Too much analysis. ALL you need to know is that God works in mysterious ways.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:29 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Who:confus ed:
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by bcworld
Oh please don't, anything but that hackneyed old cover up.

Last edited by sheene; Dec 5th 2011 at 8:39 am.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:14 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

The important bit in my life is the quoted bit at the top. For me, that's the essence of Christianity (and obviously its not unique to Christianity or even to religion) - the rest is mistranslation, misdirection and window dressing.

People like to cite how much wrong has been done in the name of religion - I'm sure they don't really think atrocities wouldn't have been committed if religion wasn't around. Unfortunately, religion is a handy peg for bloodthirsty psychopaths to hang their hat on. If it wasn't that, it would be something else.

But anyway, this is getting off topic quite a lot.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:25 am

The important bit in my life is the quoted bit at the top. For me, that's the essence of Christianity (and obviously its not unique to Christianity or even to religion) - the rest is mistranslation, misdirection and window dressing.

People like to cite how much wrong has been done in the name of religion - I'm sure they don't really think atrocities wouldn't have been committed if religion wasn't around. Unfortunately, religion is a handy peg for bloodthirsty psychopaths to hang their hat on. If it wasn't that, it would be something else.

But anyway, this is getting off topic quite a lot.
Not really off topic - the justification many are giving for their views is based on what is normal and what the church says. If people are going to base their opinions on the church, then that opinion needs to be from a trustworthy source.

Not sure about your reasoning that if religion hadn't caused atrocities, something else would have caused them anyway. The reason that people like to cite the wrongs done in the name of religion is that it is true, always has been, always will be, for ever and ever, amen.

There goes my chance of having 7 virgins, better redeem myself by killing a few innocent children. Good stuff, religion.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

And don't even talk of the Old Testament - the one about the creation of the world, a world where T.Rex, and other groups, never existed. Almost as if it was written by men who didn't yet know about dinosaurs because they hadn't been discovered.

The Old Testament is like Terminator - Arnie hates us and wants to kill us because we messed up his utopian future control network.

The New Testament, however is like Terminator 2 - Arnie loves us and wants to protect us from ourselves and the evils of the future.

I'm not sure where Terminator 3 fits in - maybe that's something to do with scientology. And as for Christian Bale...

S
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
The Old Testament is like Terminator - Arnie hates us and wants to kill us because we messed up his utopian future control network.

The New Testament, however is like Terminator 2 - Arnie loves us and wants to protect us from ourselves and the evils of the future.

I'm not sure where Terminator 3 fits in - maybe that's something to do with scientology. And as for Christian Bale...

S
Terminator 3 is setting the scene for when God becomes the Governor of California.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.