Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Wikiposts

Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:41 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Originally Posted by spilko
It would be good, I couldn't imagine getting stressed over meeting deadlines etc
Don't even have to get out the truck these days....
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spilko
???

Lots of holidays???

In my line of work I'm going to have to work much longer hours and have far less holiday than I ever had in the UK... It's depressing.

I am getting 10 days less holiday a year and having to work 2 hours a week more to do a similar job.
Agreed but holidays in UK were not too flash either.Mainland Europe has more paid annual leave as well as public holidays.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Not that I am complaining of course! I think my work /life balance is great.

Just think it's misleading to state that Aussies don't take much holiday when they get loads in the first place.

Americans only get 2 weeks and it doesn't accrue. Singoporeans don't get much either.
Where are all these loads of holidays may i ask? Average person only gets four weeks a year plus public holidays. True can accrue with a lot of firms but not all.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Where I live, most people are casual.. therefore no paid holidays or anything.. no work = no pay.. just the way it is up on the Sunshine coast for quite a few...

Em x
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Where are all these loads of holidays may i ask? Average person only gets four weeks a year plus public holidays. True can accrue with a lot of firms but not all.
In some countries in the EU - they get 6 weeks a year.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by emelems
Where I live, most people are casual.. therefore no paid holidays or anything.. no work = no pay.. just the way it is up on the Sunshine coast for quite a few...

Em x
But remember, a casual employee receives a higher rate of pay to compensate, eg: Casual employees shall also receive a 1/12th loading in lieu of annual leave.

In effect they get the paid holidays in advance, with or without taking the holiday

Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Em x
Quite so. Australia as i understand it has the second highest number of patr time and casual workers in the first world. The Netherlands led the list.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Indeed we did.Six weeks plus far more public holidays along with a far superior safety net. Some may say more laid back that any of the countries of the Anglo world.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But remember, a casual employee receives a higher rate of pay to compensate, eg: Casual employees shall also receive a 1/12th loading in lieu of annual leave.

In effect they get the paid holidays in advance, with or without taking the holiday
Yes they get a little more cash but no job security guarantee.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Also there used to be an extra months payment at the end of the year,a sort of Christmas bonus paid out by a lot of firms.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

I suppose, but the reality is that it is cheaper for the employer to have a casual rather than a permanent in the long run... when it gets to the point that they are being employed for most of the year then the employer, I would think, change them over to permanent surely?

Em x
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:11 pm
ABCDiamond

I suppose, but the reality is that it is cheaper for the employer to have a casual rather than a permanent in the long run... when it gets to the point that they are being employed for most of the year then the employer, I would think, change them over to permanent surely?

Em x
Normally that would be the case, but on the Sunshine coast and other holiday areas, there will be more casual work, basically because of the nature of that work, being holiday season casual work.

An employer, in a seasonal business, will need to be able to reduce staff levels easily and quickly at the end of the seasons.

Speaking from an employers perspective, I would prefer permanent rather than casual, if the work was guaranteed ongoing, as the casual side of things can work both ways.

Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

Normally that would be the case, but on the Sunshine coast and other holiday areas, there will be more casual work, basically because of the nature of that work, being holiday season casual work.

An employer, in a seasonal business, will need to be able to reduce staff levels easily and quickly at the end of the seasons.

Speaking from an employers perspective, I would prefer permanent rather than casual, if the work was guaranteed ongoing, as the casual side of things can work both ways.
yep bang on, from my experience.. people move on here alot.. just the nature of the coast from what I can tell.. of course, they will be moving me on in my wooden box only.. I ain't going nowhere hun!

Em x
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:46 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Still more than some countries though.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they get a little more cash but no job security guarantee.
I reckon it makes no difference whether you are perm or casual when it comes to spanish archer time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.