Kindle Questions?!

Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:29 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Read 200+ books on my kindle, and never paid anything for any of them, someone somewhere will have even the newest books available for free download.
I don't mind paying to read a book, after all it's someones work they should get paid. I do have a problem not being able to transfer my own copy to any other place.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I don't mind paying to read a book, after all it's someones work they should get paid. I do have a problem not being able to transfer my own copy to any other place.
I've moved mine over to my laptop. It can't have been complicated because I had no problem doing it but I can't remember what I did. Back up or something???????
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've moved mine over to my laptop. It can't have been complicated because I had no problem doing it but I can't remember what I did. Back up or something???????
You just download the kindle app, log in and away you go!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind paying to read a book, after all it's someones work they should get paid.
The authors get nothing from the sale of a book secondhand, and there are thousands sold every week like that, so it's the same thing really.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone tried this or got personal experience to go on - the Amazon forum is inconclusive, 50% say it works, 50% don't........
My original kindle broke, got a replacement, but because of the timing and travelling I was doing at the time I paid for a new one and decided to give the replacement to my niece for her birthday. A lot of the books I've bought are kids classics and stuff she will read so they are now all on both kindles, and both are registered to my Amazon account. So - if I de-register her kindle and we register it to her mum's Amazon account instead, will the books bought by me still be on it or do they vanish as soon as it is sync-ed to Amazon cos they were bought by me not her mum?
I thought they would still be on it, but some of the Amazon forumites seem in doubt and I guess that makes sense, them only being on the kindles for the account that paid for the books. So has anyone tried this?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at removing the DRM on kindle e books yet? I've bought a few titles recently so has the O/H & while the wife is reading her book I wanted to read mine on the PC. Freaking Amazon won't let me read the book I've bought on anything other than the kindle, now I have to spring for another Kindle or resort to pirate software to read something I've bought & paid for.
Only just noticed this question... will report back in a few days.

See what I can come up with
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:05 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyone tried this or got personal experience to go on - the Amazon forum is inconclusive, 50% say it works, 50% don't........
My original kindle broke, got a replacement, but because of the timing and travelling I was doing at the time I paid for a new one and decided to give the replacement to my niece for her birthday. A lot of the books I've bought are kids classics and stuff she will read so they are now all on both kindles, and both are registered to my Amazon account. So - if I de-register her kindle and we register it to her mum's Amazon account instead, will the books bought by me still be on it or do they vanish as soon as it is sync-ed to Amazon cos they were bought by me not her mum?
I thought they would still be on it, but some of the Amazon forumites seem in doubt and I guess that makes sense, them only being on the kindles for the account that paid for the books. So has anyone tried this?
I think the answer is that any book you buy from Amazon will re-synchronise to the account registered for the Kindle. I don't think you can have multiple accounts on one kindle, which is why they make you buy only from one store.

But other books that you put on the kindle will be untouched. Project Gutenberg is a terrific source of books, and if you download the .mobi version you can simply drop them into the Kindle folder on your desktop.

If your niece wants a free .mobi version of a certain (that shall remain nameless) book then pm me and I'll email you a copy to give her.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The authors get nothing from the sale of a book secondhand, and there are thousands sold every week like that, so it's the same thing really.
Thanks, I've read every ridiculous excuse now, I can complete the set.

On Topic - Sold my Kindle for $100 2 days before the new one was announced, I am a very happy man. My TouchPad will suffice for e-reading duty.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:22 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The books will still be there on the kindle, however, when you click to open them it will pop up a message that says:
This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to another user. Delete the item and download it from your Archived items or purchase a copy from the Kindle Store
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if it's the same situation, but I have a couple of dozen books on my Kindle and have just bought an Android tablet and put the Kindle reader on that. Logging into my Amazon a/c allows me to download all the books onto the tablet as well from my archive.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:26 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

3.2.8 here? http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/FAQ_Amazon_Kindle

------------------
Q: I have ordered a Kindle as a Christmas gift for my wife and ordered several books for it. I understand that I can deregister the Kindle so it will be linked to her Amazon account. My question is whether the books that are on the Kindle that I have ordered will remain on the Kindle once I deregister it. I am not particularly concerned that by deregistering she will not be able to redownload the books, but I sure want them on her Kindle on Christmas Day.

A: Yes, here's what you do . . . Go to Manage Your Kindle: www.kindle.com/manageyourkindle to view the content you have ordered and also, if you'd like, to create a new name for your wife's new Kindle. All of the content listed here will download to the Kindle's Home menu as soon as she opens it up and turns it on (provided she's in wireless range). Then, you can deregister directly from the device or from Manage Your Kindle so that your wife can register again to her Amazon.com account. Just make sure the Kindle gets turned on while it's still registered to the account used to make the content purchases. -Kindle Team
------------------
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:27 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Wol
Don't know if it's the same situation, but I have a couple of dozen books on my Kindle and have just bought an Android tablet and put the Kindle reader on that. Logging into my Amazon a/c allows me to download all the books onto the tablet as well from my archive.
Yup, a 6 device limit I think, but you are only using one account, I believe Polly wants to move them between accounts ... I think ...
Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:06 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Yup, a 6 device limit I think, but you are only using one account, I believe Polly wants to move them between accounts ... I think ...
Yeah I'm actually trying to move a kindle thats in use and got loads of books on it, from one Amazon account to another. Its not a huge issue if we can't do it, just means at the moment I'd be paying for anything she wants as she'll have to buy through my account.
Your link certainly sounds like it would work - but then Sean says above that it doesn't work, and the discussion forum on the Amazon site is equally inconclusive

Great link by the way

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 5th 2011 at 9:12 am.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm actually trying to move a kindle thats in use and got loads of books on it, from one Amazon account to another. Its not a huge issue if we can't do it, just means at the moment I'd be paying for anything she wants as she'll have to buy through my account.
Your link certainly sounds like it would work - but then Sean says above that it doesn't work, and the discussion forum on the Amazon site is equally inconclusive
If you are giving her your kindle, all you need to do is go into your account on Amazon and de-register your kindle.

Then she needs to sign in on her account and activate your device there. She just needs the serial number to do that - write it down before you de-activate.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:25 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Wendy
If you are giving her your kindle, all you need to do is go into your account on Amazon and de-register your kindle.

Then she needs to sign in on her account and activate your device there. She just needs the serial number to do that - write it down before you de-activate.
Does it keep the content though? Sean seems to think she won't be able to read the stuff downloaded via my account? I thought originally it would be easy to de-register it just like you say, but some of the comments on the discussion forum on Amazon have made me think twice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.