Kindle Questions?!

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 10:38 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kindle Questions?!

I've ordered the OH a kindle which should arrive any day now. Why?! Cos I can and he's wanted one for ages. That and he has surgery imminent for an injury that happened back in April, gotta love the speed of the Army doctors!!! GRRRR

Anyhoo, do they come with any books preloaded? Any tips otherwise? I hear you can get some free titles and download some newspapers onto them? Where a cover is concerned he just wants one he can slide it into and zip shut. Anyone any good recommendations for a decent one?
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:13 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

I dont have a Kindle... BUT

As far as I can tell the secret is to install "Calibre" on your computer so that you can convert any format of ebook to kindle.

That way you have access to ePub format books from the public library as well as any number of freely (and illegally) available books from various torrent sites.

Alternatively of course you could buy every book you want from Amazon and pay lots of money...
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Classic stuff is generally free.

You can fiddle things to allow you to pay and download books from the UK or US Kindle store, but you might need a VPN to do the initial stages.

Calibre (with addons) can strip the DRM from the books so you actually own them and can stop Amazon stealing them back. It can also translate epubs across.

You can connect it to a computer and just copy across books, you don't HAVE to go via the Kindle store (although amazon would like you to).
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I've ordered the OH a kindle which should arrive any day now. Why?! Cos I can and he's wanted one for ages. That and he has surgery imminent for an injury that happened back in April, gotta love the speed of the Army doctors!!! GRRRR

Anyhoo, do they come with any books preloaded? Any tips otherwise? I hear you can get some free titles and download some newspapers onto them? Where a cover is concerned he just wants one he can slide it into and zip shut. Anyone any good recommendations for a decent one?
Just have a look through Amazon Masses of covers on there, I had a zipless one to start with but the new one with a zip is safer. If you go into the Kindle store on Amazon you can sort by price so you can see which ones are free, thousands of them. Doesn't come with any preloaded but it only takes about 30 seconds to download each one
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my mum a cover with a pull out light so she can read in bed as the kindle is not backlit.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:52 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Just buy some books - theyre only like 8$ each

Dracula is free - and scared the bejeebus out of me

Sherlock Holmes - all that is free

crime + punishment is free - amazing book...

And there are lots & lots of 99c books self-published by authors , look for the top sellers and they're usually ok ish.

And.. you can subscribe to newspapers/magazines free for a month - so maybe one of those on there would be nice for him in hostipal.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

There is a best sellers list of free books that you can access on the kindle or on the amazon website. There are some quite good books on there, have found some crime thriller style books that are good. You can also sort by price from cheapest so you can find some of the cheaper books to download on the amazon website.

As someone else has said the downloads only take a shorttime to download. Have tried the newspapers, and wasnt very impressed with the conversion to kindle, think it still needs some work doing to get the formatting right - it was a few months back i tried it so dont know what it is like now.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
As someone else has said the downloads only take a shorttime to download. Have tried the newspapers, and wasnt very impressed with the conversion to kindle, think it still needs some work doing to get the formatting right - it was a few months back i tried it so dont know what it is like now.
I think you get used to it. My husband happily reads the FT every day and The Economist every week via Kindle. I just wish The Financial Review and The Australian had Kindle versions so we'd have less paper cluttering up the place.

Jen: We got covers from ebay, much cheaper than Amazon.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:58 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I bought my mum a cover with a pull out light so she can read in bed as the kindle is not backlit.
I wish I had bought that - I bought the kindle leather cover from amazon - and scrimped the 20$ - but reading it in bed and on planes etc that light would've been very useful.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought a couple of clip on lights for $5 each in K Mart yesterday.....so that when I'm dragged to see Cars 2 for the third time I can read my book!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:47 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Just bought a couple of clip on lights for $5 each in K Mart yesterday.....so that when I'm dragged to see Cars 2 for the third time I can read my book!
Yeah I saw those today, what batteries do they take?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
I wish I had bought that - I bought the kindle leather cover from amazon - and scrimped the 20$ - but reading it in bed and on planes etc that light would've been very useful.
I like them because the kindle itself charges the light.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

From the end of this month, BigW and Dick Smith are going to be selling the Kindle in Australia - both the 3G and Wifi models.

Prices seem to be about the same as importing from Amazon.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:02 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Amazulu
From the end of this month, BigW and Dick Smith are going to be selling the Kindle in Australia - both the 3G and Wifi models.

Prices seem to be about the same as importing from Amazon.
Oh really? Cool! The OH still hasn't got a case for his so he'll maybe be able to get one there...
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:50 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Oh really? Cool! The OH still hasn't got a case for his so he'll maybe be able to get one there...
You know you can run Kindle on your iPad? Its brill and better than iBooks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.