Kindle Questions?!

Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:34 am
  #46  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Does it keep the content though? Sean seems to think she won't be able to read the stuff downloaded via my account? I thought originally it would be easy to de-register it just like you say, but some of the comments on the discussion forum on Amazon have made me think twice!
I think the content is only available on the account that purchased it. But I don't know that for definite.

Have you looked online for a file converter. Download all the books to your PC, then convert them to mobi and e-mail them to her. She should then be able to upload them to her kindle from there. Again, not tried it but I can't see why it wouldn't work - maybe try it with a free ebook first.

I would try it out for you, but I don't know anyone with a kindle! (except you lot of course)
Wendy is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:46 am
  #47  
MODERATOR
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,932
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

I did exactly what your trying to do Pol. Josh bought me a Kindle for Fathers Day, I [yesterday] bought another one from Amy's mate [for Deb] on the understanding that it came with all the books still loaded. We've registered the new one to my account as the credit card is in my name. All the books are still there on the second hand Kindle they won't open as they are registered to the other account. Hence my post to restart this thread.
I typed the exact message word for word as it appears on the kindle screen.

EDIT: Some of the books do open though they appear to all be the free ones.
cresta57 is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:57 am
  #48  
MODERATOR
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,932
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
I think the content is only available on the account that purchased it. But I don't know that for definite.

Have you looked online for a file converter. Download all the books to your PC, then convert them to mobi and e-mail them to her. She should then be able to upload them to her kindle from there. Again, not tried it but I can't see why it wouldn't work - maybe try it with a free ebook first.

I would try it out for you, but I don't know anyone with a kindle! (except you lot of course)
The books purchased direct from Amazon are all protected via DRM. If you download all your books to Calibre to store them you can't open them using Calibre. When you double click to open them a pop up box tells you they are DRMed.
cresta57 is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:07 am
  #49  
Mostly Harmless
 
DeadVim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Semi-rural wonderworld, Brisbane
Posts: 15,109
DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
The books purchased direct from Amazon are all protected via DRM. If you download all your books to Calibre to store them you can't open them using Calibre. When you double click to open them a pop up box tells you they are DRMed.
Yeh, my link wasn't addressing the correct issue.

Having googled around it would appear there is no way of transferring between accounts.

Which sucks but is understandable given the copyright issues.

1 point to the paper version then, it needs them
DeadVim is offline  
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:22 am
  #50  
Fronting the Parole Board
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,456
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
I did exactly what your trying to do Pol. Josh bought me a Kindle for Fathers Day, I [yesterday] bought another one from Amy's mate [for Deb] on the understanding that it came with all the books still loaded. We've registered the new one to my account as the credit card is in my name. All the books are still there on the second hand Kindle they won't open as they are registered to the other account. Hence my post to restart this thread.
I typed the exact message word for word as it appears on the kindle screen.

EDIT: Some of the books do open though they appear to all be the free ones.
Yep, sounds like what I was trying to do, so I reckon I'll leave it registered to my account......sucker of an Aunty with an empty wallet

Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
Yeh, my link wasn't addressing the correct issue.

Having googled around it would appear there is no way of transferring between accounts.

Which sucks but is understandable given the copyright issues.

1 point to the paper version then, it needs them
yeah, I can see the copyright stuff being a problem.
Good link though
Pollyana is offline  
Old Oct 7th 2011, 11:50 pm
  #51  
Demi-God
 
Burbage's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Far North Queensland
Posts: 2,812
Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Yep, sounds like what I was trying to do, so I reckon I'll leave it registered to my account......sucker of an Aunty with an empty wallet



yeah, I can see the copyright stuff being a problem.
Good link though
Some books are set up for lending though. Books of this type on your account can be lent to someone else for a limited period, perhaps that will give you an alternative way of letting you niece read books you've bought.

As for copyright, not many people would write books if they couldn't be protected. And eBooks should be a lot cheaper, as they cost almost nothing to produce (compared to print). Unfortunately if an author has a publisher they both have to get a cut, which almost triples the price.
Burbage is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2011, 6:54 am
  #52  
BE Enthusiast
 
mulben's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 838
mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post

Just got to familiarise her with Calibre now and she'll be totally independent with the whole kindle experience.

Personally I want to find a program that inserts the covers and loads the synopsis.. and am looking hard for that.... dont think one exists........ yet.
Calibre does this in the " edit metadata " - download metadata - then it will give you the option of whose metadata you want -Amazon , Fantastic Fiction or Google then it will give you a synopsis and cover.
mulben is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:46 am
  #53  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,526
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by mulben View Post
Calibre does this in the " edit metadata " - download metadata - then it will give you the option of whose metadata you want -Amazon , Fantastic Fiction or Google then it will give you a synopsis and cover.
Thanks
ozzieeagle is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:38 am
  #54  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,526
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by mulben View Post
Calibre does this in the " edit metadata " - download metadata - then it will give you the option of whose metadata you want -Amazon , Fantastic Fiction or Google then it will give you a synopsis and cover.
Just realised when I went to have a look tonight that I already used that option. On our system that only brings the cover and synopsis up on the Calibre Program... not the Kindle... does your Kindle have the Covers and Synopsis or just that Program. ?

I did manage to get Covers onto the Kindle via another editing program, and it was quite a bit of effort.. converting to another format then searching and manually inserting the page. ... couldn't do the synposis though... Thus far..

The other issue the wife is having is Page No's... in fact one of the books we erm acquired... was missing the last 1/3rd of the book. If there was a way of checking via page numbers then this wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 9th 2011 at 11:41 am.
ozzieeagle is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:36 pm
  #55  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 26,015
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
Just realised when I went to have a look tonight that I already used that option. On our system that only brings the cover and synopsis up on the Calibre Program... not the Kindle... does your Kindle have the Covers and Synopsis or just that Program. ?

I did manage to get Covers onto the Kindle via another editing program, and it was quite a bit of effort.. converting to another format then searching and manually inserting the page. ... couldn't do the synposis though... Thus far..

The other issue the wife is having is Page No's... in fact one of the books we erm acquired... was missing the last 1/3rd of the book. If there was a way of checking via page numbers then this wouldn't be an issue.
Probem with page numbers is that the number of pages for a novel on the kindle depends on how big you set the font.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:37 pm
  #56  
BE Enthusiast
 
mulben's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 838
mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
Just realised when I went to have a look tonight that I already used that option. On our system that only brings the cover and synopsis up on the Calibre Program... not the Kindle... does your Kindle have the Covers and Synopsis or just that Program. ?

.
I dont use Kindle - purchased an android e-pad from Honkers , half the price and far more useful for (cough ) acquired books.
mulben is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:17 pm
  #57  
Fronting the Parole Board
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,456
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by Burbage View Post
Some books are set up for lending though. Books of this type on your account can be lent to someone else for a limited period, perhaps that will give you an alternative way of letting you niece read books you've bought.

As for copyright, not many people would write books if they couldn't be protected. And eBooks should be a lot cheaper, as they cost almost nothing to produce (compared to print). Unfortunately if an author has a publisher they both have to get a cut, which almost triples the price.
Several years behind me as a bookseller and librarian so I actually don't have a problem with the copyright thing I remember the introduction of Public Lending Right making things a lot fairer for authors. (For those who don't know, its payment to authors for books borrowed from libraries).
Don't think I'll risk moving the kindle now, as we spend a fair bit on books just for her, as well as the ones we both have - the likes of Jacqueline Wilson don't really hold much attraction for me, though classics like the Secret Garden are ones I will always love. She'll be better off this way anyhow, Mum says No more often than Aunty
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:36 am
  #58  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,219
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

My Auntie is visiting from Hawaii in a few months. If I was to ship a US Kindle to her and she registered it in her name, at her US address, would I be able to get access to the US Kindle store using an Aussie credit card?
Amazulu is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:05 am
  #59  
MODERATOR
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,932
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
My Auntie is visiting from Hawaii in a few months. If I was to ship a US Kindle to her and she registered it in her name, at her US address, would I be able to get access to the US Kindle store using an Aussie credit card?
Yep
cresta57 is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:51 am
  #60  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Burns Beach and loving it!
Posts: 830
Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Do you NEED a US one? Are they cheaper than buying in Big W?
Family of 3 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.