Kindle Questions?!

Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:45 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Questions?!

Originally Posted by EvannTel
You know you can run Kindle on your iPad? Its brill and better than iBooks
Yup I do, got it all set up, I'm not a big reader though. They work out about $20 more expensive to buy here than the US and that's even with postage!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:36 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick question as I know nothing about ebook readers and all that malarkey! I see that Woolies and BigW are now selling Kindles. I can't afford one but that doesn't stop me dreaming and planning for the future!

Anyway, my question is when you buy one can you download from either amazon.com or amazon.co.uk? or do you have to register with one or the other? or doesn't it really make any difference? I already have an account with Amazon from before I left UK if that makes a difference?

When I get a job - that's going to be my reward. The kindle is my carrot!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
From the end of this month, BigW and Dick Smith are going to be selling the Kindle in Australia - both the 3G and Wifi models.

Prices seem to be about the same as importing from Amazon.
They're selling them from Customer Services in Woolies as well. $169 for the normal one and $213 for the 3G I think. Certainly no point getting them from overseas now.

Edit: Sorry, Silly, didn't see your post. Here's two threads which cover everything you could ever want to know
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689960
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665452

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 31st 2011 at 10:35 pm. Reason: Added more.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Already had one from the UK but just bought another from Dick Smith. 156 bucks so cheaper than amazon uk - for the wifi one.

Can't praise them enough. Amazing gadgets.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Just a quick question as I know nothing about ebook readers and all that malarkey! I see that Woolies and BigW are now selling Kindles. I can't afford one but that doesn't stop me dreaming and planning for the future!

Anyway, my question is when you buy one can you download from either amazon.com or amazon.co.uk? or do you have to register with one or the other? or doesn't it really make any difference? I already have an account with Amazon from before I left UK if that makes a difference?

When I get a job - that's going to be my reward. The kindle is my carrot!
If you already have an amazon uk account, just keep using that it may want you to confirm you are using the kindle in the UK, it asked me at some point, so I said I was in the UK and its been fine ever since

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 1st 2011 at 2:34 am.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:17 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you already have an amazon uk account, just keep using that it may want you to confirm you are using the kindle in the UK, it asked me at some point, so I said I was in the UK and its been fine ever since
I got one the other day. Terrific.

In Australia you are supposed to use Amazon.com, but if you have a UK credit card you can use the kindle shop at Amazon.co.uk. But there's little difference. Some books are free in the UK that aren't free in the US (Animal Farm is an example) but you can do the project gutenberg download anyway and put the file on your kindle from there instead.

<snip>

Last edited by moneypenny20; Sep 2nd 2011 at 2:11 pm. Reason: Rule 9
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:49 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks for that Are you still using a UK card though? My UK account is to all intents and purposes empty - somewhat like my Australia account but ultimately it would have to be an australian debit card I use.... no idea why I'm worrying about this now as I can't see it happening any time soon!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Pre ordered one my wife one for her Bday on the 21st of August, from Dick Smiths for 159 bucks... we received it last week..

Calibre is the go so far... you can also insert covers via a program called mobi2mobi, although with that system you have to convert the books to Mobi first....Wifes only complaint is no Synopsis or page numbers on the Kindle itself for the books I've managed to acquire.

It's very easy to get books for them... Only criticism from me personally. I've used video and music library organisers for a long while now and I'm not that impressed with Calibre in comparison to say Media Monkey or even Chunky Itunes... no option for inserting covers etc etc... however I'm sure that will come.

As for the Kindle Itself.... 10/10 no complaints from the wife, I'm very glad I went with my instincts and bought the new to me technology in E.ink rather than a LCD screen.

Just got to familiarise her with Calibre now and she'll be totally independent with the whole kindle experience.

Personally I want to find a program that inserts the covers and loads the synopsis.. and am looking hard for that.... dont think one exists........ yet.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:48 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I've had one for a month and been pretty impressed. Light, easy to hold, easy to read ...

It has also, just this minute, run out of it's first charge ... not bad at all ...
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:33 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

My son bought me one today for Fathers day
[Well Deb bought it from Woolies]
Now before I rush in & register it here in Australia is it cheaper to have a .co.uk address i.e my home address in the U.K?
My mum is thinking about buying one & if both are registered to the same address I understand we both get the books?
I've checked online prices & the difference is minimal with pricing swinging a dollar either way on most titles.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Thanks for that Are you still using a UK card though? My UK account is to all intents and purposes empty - somewhat like my Australia account but ultimately it would have to be an australian debit card I use.... no idea why I'm worrying about this now as I can't see it happening any time soon!
Mmmm I have a UK (Lloyds) card registered but I do switch between that and Aus cards - try it is all I can suggest. My UK card does have an Aussie address on it, and thats the card i bought the kindle with, I just got it delivered in the UK
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:27 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
My son bought me one today for Fathers day
[Well Deb bought it from Woolies]
Now before I rush in & register it here in Australia is it cheaper to have a .co.uk address i.e my home address in the U.K?
My mum is thinking about buying one & if both are registered to the same address I understand we both get the books?
I've checked online prices & the difference is minimal with pricing swinging a dollar either way on most titles.
Being an author on Amazon I can tell you that the prices are generally the same. I can set different prices for US, UK or DE, but it's easier to let Amazon simply keep the prices moving with the exchange rate. So I set the price at $2.99 in the US and the prices in the UK and Germany move accordingly.

The biggest issue with which one you use is whether the book you want is available from a particular source. For example, if an author has a publisher in the US and a different one in the UK, he/she will be published on Kindle depending on whether the publisher has done it yet (most authors allow publishers to handle electronic rights).

In general, there are more books available at the US store since more US publishers are up to speed on e-publishing, and more people use Kindles in the US. The UK is catching up though.

As an independent author, my book is available in all three markets, but is based in the US and is written in standard English. It is also available at a price no publisher published novel can match. <snip>

Last edited by moneypenny20; Sep 2nd 2011 at 2:10 pm. Reason: Rule 9
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:56 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Pre ordered one my wife one for her Bday on the 21st of August, from Dick Smiths for 159 bucks... we received it last week..

Calibre is the go so far... you can also insert covers via a program called mobi2mobi, although with that system you have to convert the books to Mobi first....Wifes only complaint is no Synopsis or page numbers on the Kindle itself for the books I've managed to acquire.

It's very easy to get books for them... Only criticism from me personally. I've used video and music library organisers for a long while now and I'm not that impressed with Calibre in comparison to say Media Monkey or even Chunky Itunes... no option for inserting covers etc etc... however I'm sure that will come.

As for the Kindle Itself.... 10/10 no complaints from the wife, I'm very glad I went with my instincts and bought the new to me technology in E.ink rather than a LCD screen.

Just got to familiarise her with Calibre now and she'll be totally independent with the whole kindle experience.

Personally I want to find a program that inserts the covers and loads the synopsis.. and am looking hard for that.... dont think one exists........ yet.
Have you looked at removing the DRM on kindle e books yet? I've bought a few titles recently so has the O/H & while the wife is reading her book I wanted to read mine on the PC. Freaking Amazon won't let me read the book I've bought on anything other than the kindle, now I have to spring for another Kindle or resort to pirate software to read something I've bought & paid for.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Have you looked at removing the DRM on kindle e books yet? I've bought a few titles recently so has the O/H & while the wife is reading her book I wanted to read mine on the PC. Freaking Amazon won't let me read the book I've bought on anything other than the kindle, now I have to spring for another Kindle or resort to pirate software to read something I've bought & paid for.
I have Kindle on my iPhone and my PC as well. Work perfectly well - although I haven't tried to read two book at once...yet

Have you logged onto your kindle account on Amazon? maybe there's a problem with your settings?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Read 200+ books on my kindle, and never paid anything for any of them, someone somewhere will have even the newest books available for free download.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.